Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Connection

• 10-11-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have just purchased a Dell 4500 Desktop (Second Hand) and have tried unsuccessfully to connect to the internet.

I have a wireless network set up with a Laptop connected and printer also.

I connected via ethernet cable to modem the Desktop, however i have failed to connect to the internet. I have called both Eircom and Dell to find a solution to the problem, only to be told by Dell that I must pay them €120 to get advice to recitfy the problem.

I would appreciate any help with this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Have a look at Network Connections in the Control Panel, what does it say for the LocalArea Connection item (this is your wired ethernet socket).

Also run the command
    ipconfig /all
    in a command prompt and post back the results

It should include an item (under the Local Area Connection section) for Default Gateway, with an IP Address probably like 192.168.x.y, if so try putting this into the address bar of your browser, this shoulod get to the web config pages of your router.

What is your ISP and router/modem model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

hi bonzodog,

thanks for your reply.

the problem is i tried all that with Dell Technician and in relation to ipconfig, no results showed up on the screen. In the local area connection 1394 showed up.
    he informed me then that i would need to pay €120 for professional advice. i don't think its worth putting that money into it as only purchased it for my 11 year daughter for school work.

the day i set up the desktop the internet worked ok and i downloaded few programmes like spy bot and cc cleaner. its after this that all went wrong. tried system restore but no good.

Eircom and Netopia.

Am only an novice in relation to computers, so any advice much appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you purchased second hand the previous owner may have wiped the hard drive and put a fresh operating system on it but forgot to put in the ethernet drivers back on...did the laptop come with a Dell Utilities disc so you can ensure the drivers are all okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

sam27 wrote: »
    hi bonzodog,

thanks for your reply.

the problem is i tried all that with Dell Technician and in relation to ipconfig, no results showed up on the screen. In the local area connection 1394 showed up.
    he informed me then that i would need to pay €120 for professional advice. i don't think its worth putting that money into it as only purchased it for my 11 year daughter for school work.

the day i set up the desktop the internet worked ok and i downloaded few programmes like spy bot and cc cleaner. its after this that all went wrong. tried system restore but no good.

Eircom and Netopia.

Am only an novice in relation to computers, so any advice much appreciated.
    Could you do it again for us please so that we would be able to see the results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you purchased the machine second hand then whoever sold it to you might just have done a quick Windows reinstall but without setting up all the required drivers etc. afterwards. That'd leave Windows with a load of hardware that it doesn't know how to use.

If you've got Windows XP the click on : Start > Control Panel. Double-click on <System> and then click on Hardware > Device Manager. Do you see yellow question marks anywhere, in particular in the Network Adapters section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

1394 is firewire port, this isnt what you use.
    What network adapters do you have in control panel-device manager?

Check the Device Manager - right click My Computer,Properties,Hardware tab, click Device Manager button.Expand Network Adapters in the list, what do you see ?

You say it was working but now it isn't. Maybe the ethernet card has just failed.

I take it you have done a complete restart of the PC from cold ?

A cheap alternative would be to get a USB wifi dongle for the desktop.
    this one is less than eur10, next day delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

sam27 wrote: »
    tell us exactly what you installed? any firewall software? try removing spybot and some other security, see if it makes a difference. You can also try looking in the device manager to check the network card is installed correctly. If it's not or if it has an error, you can try reinstalling the drivers.

If its a Dimension 4500, you'll find drivers here: link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

OK, I worked for that company's Broadband support.

It's a desktop? Are you trying to connect using a WiFi card in the desktop?

If you're trying to connect with an Ethernet cable it's different.

Patrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

thanks for replies

have laptop connected wireless to internet.

think i might leave it all together. my sell it on again cause cant be bothered with trying to fix it. would anyone know what it would be worth?? I got it as a freebee

thanks all for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's probably something a geek friend can fix in 5 minutes, ask around before you sell it.

Advertisement