Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installation of a double dimmer

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

robbie7730 wrote: »
    But why bother? Switches at both ends are to enable lighting of a room so you dont have to walk to the other end in darkness when there is 2 entrances. Surely a dimmer at one end is good enough. If you want full brightness you may need to go to both ends to turn up fully.

Seems a pointless setup.

Its not a pointless excersise.

I have a large open plan living room.

17 GU10 4W dimmable LED recessed ceiling lights split over the front end of the living room and the back end of the living room.9 lights for the front half,and the remaining 8 for the back half of the room

Double dimmer panel at the front beside the staircase to turn on and dim all the lights or which ever half of the room I want the lights on.

Then the other dimmer panel at the other end of my living room is where the open plan kitchen starts,and that way I can dim the lights from either end or turn them off completely.

The dimmer switch is actually a 3 switch dimmer panel (1 normal switch for the upstairs landing lights and then the 2 dimmer switches for the 17 LED living room lights).It looks just like a normal light switch,but you just keep the switch pressed down till you have the dimmed light that you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »

17 GU10 4W dimmable LED recessed ceiling lights split over the front end of the living room and the back end of the living room.9 lights for the front half,and the remaining 8 for the back half of the room

Double dimmer panel at the front beside the staircase to turn on and dim all the lights or which ever half of the room I want the lights on.

The dimmer at the other end is where the open plan kitchen starts,and that way I can dim the lights from either end or turn them off completely.

The dimmer switch is actually a dimmer panel,just like a normal light switch,but you just keep the switch pressed down till you have the dimmed light that you require.

Yes maybe so, what happens when you switch it off at one end, you can use the other end then? As in can fully use the dimmer from either end and switch on and off?

Yes maybe so, what happens when you switch it off at one end, you can use the other end then?

I can switch on or off the lights from either end at the dimmer panels,or just switch on and dim only half the room,or the entire room from either end,whatever I want and whatever suits me.:)

No loss in light quality or dimming capacity,no buzzing,just nice perfect lighting that gives a nice feel to the room/house..

I can switch on or off the lights from either end at the dimmer panels,or just switch on and dim only half the room,or the entire room from either end,whatever I want and whatever suits me.:)

No loss in light quality or dimming capacity,no buzzing,just nice perfect lighting that gives a nice feel to the room/house..

Are the switches themselves big?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Then the other dimmer panel at the other end of my living room is where the open plan kitchen starts,and that way I can dim the lights from either end or turn them off completely.

The dimmer switch is actually a 3 switch dimmer panel (1 normal switch for the upstairs landing lights and then the 2 dimmer switches for the 17 LED living room lights).It looks just like a normal light switch,but you just keep the switch pressed down till you have the dimmed light that you require.

That may be a slightly different system . Push operated switches sometimes have a separate dimmable tranformer.
    Is the dimmer in the light switch wall box.

• Advertisement

ntpm wrote: »
    That may be a slightly different system . Push operated switches sometimes have a separate dimmable tranformer.
    Is the dimmer in the light switch wall box.

Yes thats why im wonderin what size the switches are, there are dimmer panels that can be remotely controlled.

Are the switches themselves big?

Normal 2 gang size chrome face plate with 3 standard size switches,just looks like a normal light switch panel.

1st switch is a normal switch for the 2 upstairs landing lights,then the other 2 switches are the dimmer switches for the ceiling lights in the living room.

Press either or both dimmer switches once and the lights come on,hold them down and they keep on dimming down and then back up to full capicity,you just take your finger off when you are happy with the dimmed light that you require/want.

Then to turn off the lights,you just press the switches once (like a normal light switch),and its lights off.

The dimmer panel at the other end (kitchen end) has just 2 dimmer switches,again its a normal 2 gang size chrome face plate.

Simples.:)

Right so, it works that way then.

Advertisement