Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation

Options
  • 10-11-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everyone,
    I've tried to translate these as good as possible but some phrases just can't be translated by a non-native speaker. Could ye help with some of these sentences please! Thanks

Do you have any tomatoes left? I sell him some every week.
    I got up this morning and saw some rabbits playing in the garden. I saw some yesterday aswell.
    I ran towards my mother but she didn't see me coming and dropped the cake she was baking.
    The virus that she had kept her in bed all week.

I can get the general gist of these sentences but it's mainly the words like 'left (as in leftover)', 'I saw some yesterday', 'kept her in bed'.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Vous reste-t-il des tomates ? Je lui en vends chaque semaine.
    Ce matin je me suis reveille et j'ai vu des lapins. J'en ai vus hier aussi.
    J'ai couru vers ma mere mais elle ne m'a pas vu venir et a laisse tomber son gateau.
    Le virus qu'elle avait l'a laissee allitee toute la semaine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Il vous reste des tomates ? Je lui en vends chaque semaine.
    Ce matin, je me suis levé(e) et j'ai vue des lapins qui s'amusaient dans le jardin. J'en ai vu hier.
    Je courais vers maman qui m'a pas vu(e) venir. Elle a laissé tomber le gateau qu'elle était en train de cuire.
    C'était ce virus qui l'empeché de bouger de son lit pendant une semaine.

For the first one, what I said compared to the poster above is more what you'd hear in spoken French as opposed to litterary French. For the second one, se reveiller is to wake up and se lever is to get up (the extra e being if you are a girl). With en, the past participle doesn't need to agree, awanderer. For the 3rd one, the extra e again if you're feminine. It seemed more natural to break this sentence up (if you ever do translation studies, it's important to remember that the number of sentences does not need to be the same.), the extra clause seemed more appropriate too. A nice phrase for "to be in the process of doing sth" is "être en train de faire qqch", handy if your native language is English as it is used quite frequently by French speakers. For the last one, I've never heard of the verb alliter, so I didn't go about it that way - very similar meaning, and it sounds French to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nearyj

Hey, I was hoping you could help me translate. I just lost a game of FIFA 2011 and sent a "well played" message. In return I got 5 messages in a row. Unfortunately they are in French. I can't imagine its anything other then a gloating message. None the less I need to know what he/she is say:

"je vais te dire comme le suivent tu reve ta voulu maoir et gagnee au penalti ta mal cru. Toi et lautre que j ai batu de la meme magnere a la 180 min. Merci a toi. Au moin tu reconais ta defaite ses bien tu ai ferplai et sa ces rare."

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The message is full of typos and mis-spellings, and I'm not 100% that I have its exact meaning. Roughly:
    " I want to tell you (...?) that you dreamed of getting me and winning on penalties, but you were wrong. You and the other person I beat in the same way in 180 minutes. Thank you. At least you acknowledge your defeat; it's good that you are a good sport, and that is rare."

It's a minor gloat, but in a friendly tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

My God, bad spelled French!!! (Eek!!)

I have, for clarity, corrected a few mispelled words and added commas in order to help a better understanding if that's any help. The French isn't great but at least it makes it easier to read for someone who is learning the language ...

"je vais te dire comme le suivant, tu reves, t'as voulu m'avoir et gagner au penalty, t'as mal cru. Toi et l'autre que j'ai battu de la meme maniere a la 180 min. Merci a toi. Au moins tu reconnais ta defaite, c'est bien, tu es fairplay et ça s'est rare."

It could be translated as follows :
    "I will tell you like I would to the next person, You dream, You wanted to get me and win on penalties ; you were wrong ; I have beaten you and the other person in the same way at the 180th minute ; Thank you ; At least you acknowledge defeat, it's good, fairplay to you, and that is rare"

Hope this helps !
    Sorry you lost the game ;)

Valerie

• Advertisement
Advertisement