Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a garden

Options
  • 10-11-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

We have a very large field at the back of the house where I have just planted fruit trees. I also want to start a vegetable/fruit garden and have a few questions:
    - Since I have a lot of space, does it make sense to go for planting on the flat ground? Or are raised beds the way to go anyway?
    - If I go for planting on the flat ground, do I start by rotavating the ground and what should I do to the soil until next spring? (The field was ploughed and reseeded about one month ago)
    - Is anybody practicing companion planting? Is it really working?

Any tips welcome....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the soil like? raised beds would be easier to manage once in, but obviously more work in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Not knowing the dimensions makes it difficult to make a meaningful suggestion. One plan is to plant your decorative garden near the house then a hedge to hide a vegatable garden beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jaytobe wrote: »
    We have a very large field at the back of the house where I have just planted fruit trees. I also want to start a vegetable/fruit garden and have a few questions:
    - Since I have a lot of space, does it make sense to go for planting on the flat ground? Or are raised beds the way to go anyway?
    - If I go for planting on the flat ground, do I start by rotavating the ground and what should I do to the soil until next spring? (The field was ploughed and reseeded about one month ago)
    - Is anybody practicing companion planting? Is it really working?

Any tips welcome....

With lots of space comes lots of options, so the challenge will be to make the space interesting and coherent. Space would offer opps to create a series of compartments open/linked, challenge will be to plan a practical layout balanced with ornamental elements nearer house. Raised beds might be a feature nearer Patio areas but could look silly if remote?

Companion planting is tried and tested and easy to implement with space.

Planting is still possible now, in fact Oct-Dec is the ideal planting season, more options available at more affordable costs.

Impossible to give specific recs as insufficient info on Site, aspects and physical terrain.

Advertisement