Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed about getting an FM licence

• 10-11-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi guys,

just off the bai website, and sadly it was of no help, I'm hoping to find out what the procedure is to apply for a full licence for FM radio in Ireland.

There were forms available for 3 month and temporary licences but there was very little information about how to apply or to even seek full fm licences.

I'm looking for advice on how to get both community and commercial full licences as well as national fm commercial licences.

I'd appreciate anything yee know.

Thanks and all that,
    McScrub.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

www.comreg.ie

Commission for Communications Regulation - ComReg
    Commission for Communications Regulation, ComReg, Telecommunication Regulation Ireland, Radiocommunications Regulation Ireland, Postal Regulation Ireland, ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

You can't just apply for a full national licence. The licence has to be available first. If you're not aware of this, then you're obviously not in a position to hold one. Don't even think about wasting the BAI's time with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

mcscrub wrote: »
    Hi guys,

just off the bai website, and sadly it was of no help, I'm hoping to find out what the procedure is to apply for a full licence for FM radio in Ireland.

There were forms available for 3 month and temporary licences but there was very little information about how to apply or to even seek full fm licences.

I'm looking for advice on how to get both community and commercial full licences as well as national fm commercial licences.

Thanks and all that,
    McScrub.

You can only apply for full licences if and when the BAI list for applications to apply for whatever it is that they want be serviced. The forerunners to the BAI, the BCI used to ask for Expressions of Interest which was basically touting ideas at them to see how they'd fit in.

The temporary stations, you just get the form and apply with a good idea and away you go; you should contact an ex station like the 90's Network or the current Heartbeat for ideas and advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    You can't just apply for a full national licence. The licence has to be available first. If you're not aware of this, then you're obviously not in a position to hold one. Don't even think about wasting the BAI's time with this.

Jesus, the guy was just asking for advice.

catch--22 wrote: »
    Jesus, the guy was just asking for advice.

You don't say.

Anybody who is serious about applying for a national licence would already be aware of the procedure. Not to mention all the costs.

If you think the best advice for gaining one of these licences can be got here on Boards, then go ahead and give that advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

You don't say.

Anybody who is serious about applying for a national licence would already be aware of the procedure. Not to mention all the costs.

If you think the best advice for gaining one of these licences can be got here on Boards, then go ahead and give that advice.

Jaysus fuzzy Clam....I'm working on a media project here where I was hoping to use information on FM licencing as part of it.... don't worry I won't be beating you to an fm licence or anything - excuse my ignorance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Yeah, I know. You managed to answer the guys question in your first two lines.
    You can't just apply for a full national licence. The licence has to be available first.

But no need for the narky follow up.
    If you're not aware of this, then you're obviously not in a position to hold one. Don't even think about wasting the BAI's time with this.

This is a forum for the discussion of radio and to give people the opportunity to ask and answer questions. Replies in that tone are really not needed.

Op made no mention that it was for a project.

It is natural to assume that when somebody inquires as to the procedure of acquiring a national radio licence, then that is what they intend to do.

No mention of a media project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

OP, you might find it useful to look at a successful submission for a full-time licence.

Here's one.

It should give you a good idea of the kind of info the BCI are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Op made no mention that it was for a project.

That doesn't make it ok to reply in a narky way. Keep it civil, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mcscrub wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks and all that,
    McScrub.

I'd appoach the BAI with aproposal, If they think it's a runner they would advertises for statements of interest for such a licence, which I would then apply for and take it from there. I'd be prepared for mountains of paperwork and red tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fuzzy Clam & Lapin - whatever about wasting the BAI's time .. Stop wasting mine by posting off-topic messages.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'd appoach the BAI with aproposal,

You might, but that's not the procedure. Most likely outcome would be that the BAI would inform you that there are no licences available.

Losty Dublin has given the most accurate answer so far. I'm not sure about the expressions of interest but afaik, applications also need to accompanied by a hefty, non returnable, fee. 10 or 20,000 euros, not too sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Thanks for all of the help - I have a lot to work with here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You might, but that's not the procedure. Most likely outcome would be that the BAI would inform you that there are no licences available.

Losty Dublin has given the most accurate answer so far. I'm not sure about the expressions of interest but afaik, applications also need to accompanied by a hefty, non returnable, fee. 10 or 20,000 euros, not too sure.

It may not be the written procedure but it's an avenue that from my experience could work. The BAI are more likely to advertise for declarations of interest in a sector that they know there are already group/s interested in setting up a station, It makes sense really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

mcscrub,

as someone who has run 2 temp stations the piece of advice I can give you is to raise about 5grand for a temp licence and kick off from there. The BAI are most hepful on things you may need help with. Just prepared that it can and nealrly always does turn in to a money pit.

just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

The BAI need to advertise the licence first and invite applications from interested parties.

You need:

> Well know backers and a token charity/do gooder type person.
    > Legal, banking and management in place.
    > A detailed application outling ownership, mangement, programming, staffing, finances and technical.
    > Market & programming research.
    > Critical path analysis & readiness date.
    > Approx. 20 copies of said application.
    > Approx €20k submitted with your application (bulk of which is non refundable).
    > Roughly another €20k to put the whole submission together.

Then if you're successful, a lot of money to start the whole thing up. And more again if it's a national station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ive done the temp forms 4 times at this stage, all successful. If you want I have a successful submission around here somewhere. PM me if you want advice. Its fairly easy but a little expensive.

Advertisement