Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what colours for Christmas tree?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just curious what colours you use for decorations and tree?
    I'm going to stay traditional with red and green with a tiny bit of gold (can't be without a little bling!)

I used purple and silver one year, it was a nice change.

Anyone doing something different?
    Must say I love the coloured bauble wreaths that are out like this
    93262270.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=91F5CCEF208281FDB2139EEFC8FFA2687DB5FEA6DC539ECE733E976CA9F7A9F8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Our tree at home is crazy. We have decorations that my dad had on his Christmas tree as a kid so wild range of colours:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

When we were younger there used to be quite an array of tinsel & decorations & lights, but as we've all gotten older my mother has decided she wants the tree her colours, so silver only, with her lights & no tinsel rules & specific decorations!
    I have my mini tree in my room with colours and tinsels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i love the traditional colours, reds, and golds, so I tend to stick with that.

I don't like the new thing of "themes" every year, with purples, blues, etc. This year it is ice blue - it doesn't give off a christmas vibe to me. I just like the old fashioned christmas colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

My tree will be red and gold as per normal, I love it, it looks so festive. My parents tree which me and mum will do will more than likely be silvers light blues and purples. It looks really pretty. The rest of the house will be a bit mad and anything goes. I want to go nuts with the decorations in my student house, make it really christmasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm not sure when blue becames a Christmas colour, but blue decorations have been everywhere for the past 2 or 3 years. Even the Cork city lights are mostly blue. I don't think I like it.

Good old fashioned green, white, red and gold - they're the true Christmas colours imo. Although when it comes to tinsel, any colour is ok I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

I'll go for the traditional wooden and straw ones and pop in few bits of red and gold just to add a bit of colour:D Should be brill as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

yeah there seems to be a lot of blue come to think of it.
    Just doesn't have the warmth of traditional festive colours.

I can see "professionals" having it in their modern duplex apatments!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭santiago

red its a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i love the traditional colours, reds, and golds, so I tend to stick with that.

I don't like the new thing of "themes" every year, with purples, blues, etc. This year it is ice blue - it doesn't give off a christmas vibe to me. I just like the old fashioned christmas colours.

i do same, keeping it to two colours, looks very smart when assembled, and then white lights that is it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Silver and gold. And every year I buy one or two newbridge decorations so by the time I'm oooold I'll have a very expensive looking tree!

I have some lovely interesting ones already. I love my tree decorations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Last year I had silver and blue LED lights and decorations on my tree.
    It just didn't look festive at all. :(
    This year I'm going with GOLD decorations, GOLD!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

This thread might help, OP.:pac:

There are some excellent examples of colour, and really awesome trees.

The Christmas Boardies know what Christmas is about re The Tree, and how to dress it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

thsi thread reminds me i need to check my lights early this time! every year i go round like a headless chicken looking for a set of lights the week before xmas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My sister made us do just red and gold one year, and nearly all silver another. Even she didn't like the effects, either time! :p

I prefer having every colour possible of tinsel all over the place, multi-coloured lights (static, not flashing or musical) and whatever old decorations we can dig out of the attic. Like a rainbow viewed through a kaleidoscope! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

This will be my first xmas in my new gaff and not living at home but will probably make a few appearances home for xmas. I have just bought my first xmas tree. Have no decorations yet but am thinking of gold, purple and red. Maybe gold tinsel, purple baubbles, and red bows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

I always go with red and gold and clear lights, don't like multi-coloured lights at all! Has anyone got their tree up yet?Was considering putting mine up on Wednesday-is that too early??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

We have our 2nd Christmas now in our rented house and this year is going to be so much more relaxed. I have to say I brought loadsa and good quality stuff from the 2 euro store last year and if anyone was wondering Pennys has the best value Garlands well that I have found.

But my colours for Christmas are the Classics Grenn and Red with lotsa Silver...With some loverly old style decorations the bundles of cinamon (sorry I cant spell) and uhh have to have a real Christmas tree:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I prefer having every colour possible of tinsel all over the place, multi-coloured lights (static, not flashing or musical) and whatever old decorations we can dig out of the attic. Like a rainbow viewed through a kaleidoscope! :D

Snap! It's a bit of anything and everything goes in our house :D And I love it every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Hotaru wrote: »
    Snap! It's a bit of anything and everything goes in our house :D And I love it every year.

Same here. The decorations on my tree are a mix of old and new and colour doesn't come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

my tree is purple and silver. my sitting room is actually purple so it just sets off the tree lovely. i cannot wait to put up my tree, but i'm gettin a real one so i have to hold off for as long as possible. (last year the tree was a bit crunchy come christmas day :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am in need of a string of fairylights say about 400 bulbs on string, as the one i have been using with past 10 yrs has too many bulbs gone to bother trying to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have no colour scheme at all! Lots of my ornaments were gifts from people to me or my family, so they span years and are in no way related to each other in colour or style. And I love it that way. Then I have multi coloured fairy lights and strings of different coloured beads.

I think its a bit more eye catching, people always like to take a closer look at a crazy looking tree rather than one that just has 2 colours and the same style ornaments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Mine is gold, silver and red with some sparkly icicles and snow flakes. I think it's pretty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I was thinking of doing my tree in purple and silver this year, purple being my favorite and silver really compliments it. :D I have also wrapped my presents in the same colour so it might look all pretty. If I don't do that colour scheme this year I might go traditional :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Purple and silver is lovely - I'm putting a small tree in our hallway using purple, silver, white and mirrors.

The hall looks HUGE when the tree finally comes down in Jan :D. (it's a normal sized hallway so the tree takes up a fair bit of room, small as it is)

Advertisement