Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton

• 10-11-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭

Well I've said in the past that I thought he had dealt with his issues and had come out the other side but I just seen him hit Morten Gamst Pedersen a punch in the ribs for no apparent reason. It happened while play had stopped. He just walked over and gave him a dig in the ribs. Ref missed it unfortunately.

But its time this guy was banned from the game, he has had too many chances on and off the field to sort himself out but he still keeps doing the same thing. I'm sure there will be a youtube of this incident soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's a lucky boy. No need for that sort of sh*t. He's arguably in the form of his career. I honestly thought he'd turned a corner and cut the crap out of his game but seems it's been brimming under the surface a bit.

Should've been sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yerra hardly the crime of the century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

flahavaj wrote: »
    Yerra hardly the crime of the century.

Might not be but as a toon fan i can tell you that we get a replay of pretty much every challenge the lad makes. What he did tonight (i have not seen the incident) is indefensible. As i said in the Newcastle thread the lad has rally behaved up to this especially considering he has undoubtedly been targeted by pretty much ever team we have played.

Was there anything leading up to the incident?

How bad can a dig in the ribs be?

M5 wrote: »
    Might not be but as a toon fan i can tell you that we get a replay of pretty much every challenge the lad makes. What he did tonight (i have not seen the incident) is indefensible. As i said in the Newcastle thread the lad has rally behaved up to this especially considering he has undoubtedly been targeted by pretty much ever team we have played.

Was there anything leading up to the incident?

Nothing at all mate. He wasn't even involved. Was just a coming together between Krul and a Blackburn player and behind the ref you can see Barton stick his fist into Pedersen's ribs.

Surprised the linesman didn't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How bad can a dig in the ribs be?
    Just wait until you see it on MOTD or whatever you watch afterwards and then make your comment. When you see it I think you will change your mind.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just wait until you see it on MOTD or whatever you watch afterwards and then make your comment. When you see it I think you will change your mind.

Thats fair enough. Must've been bad, was he badly hurt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I saw Barton being interviewed on Sunday after the Arsenal match and was actually thinking that he finally seems to have calmed down and matured....oh well!! :rolleyes:

Thats fair enough. Must've been bad, was he badly hurt?
    No thankfully, he did go down and had treatment but when you see it you will see why I started this thread. Its got nothing to do with him being a Rover's player either apart from the fact that its the reason I watched the game. Barton hit him with full force and its not like he was reacting to something that had just happened either.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No thankfully, he did go down and had treatment but when you see it you will see why I started this thread. Its got nothing to do with him being a Rover's player either apart from the fact that its the reason I watched the game. Barton hit him with full force and its not like he was reacting to something that had just happened either.

Seems to have been missed by everyone, not one match report even mentions is. Surprised at that

EDIT: spoke too soon, ESPN just posted one, and the Guardian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

he'll get done by camera

BERBA wrote: »
    he'll get done by camera

All depends on if its mentioned in the referees report or not. If it is thats the end of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

To be fair to Barton, he has copped on to himself in recent times.
    I don't think your ever going to get a 100% fully reformed Joey Barton, the best that can be hoped for is isolated incidents now and again like tonight.
    Should someone who is essentially a danger to fellow proffesionals be left on the football pitch? Probably not, no. But I don't see the FA giving him a life time ban any time soon.

To be fair to Barton, he has copped on to himself in recent times.
    I don't think your ever going to get a 100% fully reformed Joey Barton, the best that can be hoped for is isolated incidents now and again like tonight.
    Should someone who is essentially a danger to fellow proffesionals be left on the football pitch? Probably not, no. But I don't see the FA giving him a life time ban any time soon.

Dont think that Henry or Cattermole are in footballing terms any better. In fact i would say they are worse. While Barton looses it now and again, those two consistently attempt leg breaking challenges....

M5 wrote: »
    Dont think that Henry or Cattermole are in footballing terms any better. In fact i would say they are worse. While Barton looses it now and again, those two consistently attempt leg breaking challenges....

Your forgetting De Jong there too.

How could i forget :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Anyone got footage of it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Just saw it on MOTD there. Absolutely scummy thing to do. No way the referee saw it as he had his back to it so it'll probably mean a three match ban.

Just saw it on MOTD there. Absolutely scummy thing to do. No way the referee saw it as he had his back to it so it'll probably mean a three match ban.

Not so much if the ref saw it AFAIK, if he mentions it.....

Superb timing Joey, Tiote suspended for the next game too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

When did you see it on MOTD? Does he play for City or Utd now? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Other channels on Sky. BBC1 London are showing it now. It's a later starting time on BBC NI

BBC London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How many leg breaking challenges did De Jong attempt tonight? Being consistent and all he must have had a few?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How many leg breaking challenges did De Jong attempt tonight? Being consistent and all he must have had a few?

He's after calming down a bit since becoming the first player in the history of international football to be dropped for his atrocious tackling.

He also holds the record for being the first player to ever kung fu kick a fellow professional, in the chest, full force, in a world cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just saw it.

WTF?! I really hope the FA give him a nice long ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just saw it there. Once a pikey always a pikey. He should get more then 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just saw it there and Pederson clearly said somethign to him. Far be it for me to use the word hypocrite but I feel a digging up of the various Zidane - Materazzi threads coming on.

Just because of the people involved you cant pick and choose what the reaction is.

EDIT. I'd remove the "clearly" bit. Setiment is the same.

Is every thread about an unsavoury incident going to turn into a Nigel De Jong thread :confused:
    Fabregas made a shocking tackle today so lets talk about De Jong.

He's after calming down a bit since becoming the first player in the history of international football to be dropped for his atrocious tackling.

He also holds the record for being the first player to ever kung fu kick a fellow professional, in the chest, full force, in a world cup final.

Hardly consistent though is it? Two yellow cards in 900 league minutes.

Any linky yet to Joseph's latest indiscretion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Just caught it on MOTD, Joey Barton should be nowhere near a football field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Is every thread about an unsavoury incident going to turn into a Nigel De Jong thread :confused:
    Fabregas made a shocking tackle today so lets talk about De Jong.

Didn't you get the memo?

De Jong is the footballing Boogey Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just saw it now, oh dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

saw it on MOTD .he will get a ban for it but its not crime of the century.he gave him a dig into the ribs and it didnt look like there was much force in it.

Hardly consistent though is it? Two yellow cards in 900 league minutes.

Any linky yet to Joseph's latest indiscretion?

3rd March 2010 - fractures the leg of American international Stuart Holden.

11th July 2010 - Kung fu kicks Xabi Alonso in chest

3rd October - Hatem Ben Arfa suffers a double fracture of his left tibia and fibula

Fairly consistent in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Can someone send Barton and Cattermole away together? It's only a matter of time before the latter ends someone's career.

• Advertisement

3rd October - Hatem Ben Arfa suffers a double fracture of his left tibia and fibula

Come on man. There's already a thread on De Jong.

Can someone send Barton and Cattermole away together? It's only a matter of time before the latter ends someone's career.

Barton not even in the same league as "clattermole". He might be a pikey and perhaps glass you in a nightclub but as a tackler hes quite light from what i have seen. Cattermole is a far greater risk IMHO

*again not condoning what he did today but lets be honest, Pederson will probably survive, unlike Cattermoles previous victims (also including Joey himself funnily enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭baldshin

Maybe Cattermole and Barton will both go for a 50/50 ball someday and both break both their legs.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Come on man. There's already a thread on De Jong.

Apologies. I think the reason De Jong came up was because another poster was arguing that there are other players in the premiership who pose a more serious threat that Barton, which is a good point.

• Advertisement

Interesting. Next time a striker is slated for only scoring three times in 110 games I'll remember to refer to him as 'consistent'.

I'll leave it at that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

None tonight, but he did break Stuart Holdens and Ben Arfa's leg. And kung fu kicked Alonso, but no, he's not a consistently dirty player.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Didnt get this far into the thread before I posted, never mind my post. You put it a lot better anyway!

Look the reason I brought this up is that Joey Barton has a horrendous history of thuggish behaviour. This was more of it. When players are tacking for a ball in a game and things happen there can always be some doubt as to whether they meant to do what they did. When a player just comes over and punches another player hard in the chest there is no excuse for that behaviour. This shows that Joey Barton cannot control himself and its why I believe that he should not be on a pitch.

While he didn't do major damage to Pedersen on this occasion a player who lacks any self control is liable to end up badly injuring somebody and when you consider his history this should not be tolerated for the good of the game and for the safety of other footballers.

I know this might fall into the category of "back seat modding" but FFS lads, there's a thread already on De Jong and I'm sure a few other individuals who have done reckless things on the pitch.

This such thread is for Mr. Barton who foolishly and needlessly punched Pedersen in the ribs.

As a Newcastle fan, I personally cannot defend Joey for any of his actions. Just reckless and no need particularly as there was no altercation, from what I could see with Pedersen in the first place.

He deserves whatever punishment he gets tbh and it comes at a time when our next game will see the absence of Nolan and Tiote who both racked up 5 yellows as of tonight.

2... Possibly 3 of our midfield will be gone for the weekend's game.

Ok, it may not be the end of the world but to do something so stupid and cynical like that when he said that the club are a strong unit and not letting distractions get to them he goes and does that.

Unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I couldn't find a .gif image of the punch but the photo below should give you a clearer picture of what happened.

barton_1162031a.jpg

Btw I loved it when Barton was trying to tell Morten Gamst Pedersen that he only pushed him in the chest around 10 times in front of the referee a few minutes after the incident. What a king-sized twat!

So Pedersen brushes shoulders with Barton who reacts for some stupid reason. Clown.

It's bad alright and the fact that it's Joey Barton makes the situation 10x worst...

There has been worst off the ball incidents in the prem though, remember this..

is it worse than this for example?

or this

While it is impossible to defend Barton the point I am making it that he his being vilified, sure it was a shocking thing to do but lets have a little perspective here. He was kicked up and down the pitch at Molenieux and they laughed at it on MOTD. Its completely disproportionate to the treatment any other player would receive.

does he deserve a 3 match ban, absolutely. Banned form the game? don't be daft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Lads enough with the comparisons with other players and their once off dangerous challenges that happened in the heat of the moment. The fact that a professional football player turned around and punched another fellow pro out of pure malice is bad enough, but when it is Joey Barton, an ex-convict with a history of violence and alcoholism with a sting of assaults to his name, makes it even worse.

IMO this sort of thuggery needs to be totally eradicated from the game and I hope that the FA/Newcastle give him the maximum suspensions/fines possible. I'd actually go as far as to say that I hope I never see Joey Barton play professional football ever again even if some people feel that is very harsh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement