Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They should just send him to live with Kevin Nolan, it's done Andy Carroll the world of good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Raekwon wrote: »
    Lads enough with the comparisons with other players and their once off dangerous challenges that happened in the heat of the moment. The fact that a professional football player turned around and punched another fellow pro out of pure malice is bad enough, but when it is Joey Barton, an ex-convict with a history of violence and alcoholism with a sting of assaults to his name, makes it even worse.

IMO this sort of thuggery needs to be totally eradicated from the game and I hope that the FA/Newcastle give him the maximum suspensions/fines possible. I'd actually go as far as to say that I hope I never see Joey Barton play professional football ever again even if some people feel that is very harsh.

Cattermole, Henry, Keane "once off" :rolleyes:

I can find videos of any team in the PL who has had a player who "turned around and punched another fellow pro out of pure malice". Some with several.....

And I'll compare with whom i choose TYVM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

M5 wrote: »
    While it is impossible to defend Barton the point I am making it that he his being vilified, sure it was a shocking thing to do but lets have a little perspective here. He was kicked up and down the pitch at Molenieux and they laughed at it on MOTD. Its completely disproportionate to the treatment any other player would receive.

does he deserve a 3 match ban, absolutely. Banned form the game? don't be daft

You have to take his history into account. This is just the latest instalment of scummy behaviour from him. It wasn't even that bad really but everybody just knows that it's a symptom of his extremely sinister personality. The thing that really annoys me about it is how it wasn't in any way a heat of the moment type of thing. He was calm and collected and he just decided, coolly to hit Pederson a box because he felt like being a bully.

It's hard to see this guy playing the game because we all know that his scumbag mentality is being overlooked because of his talent.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You have to take his history into account. This is just the latest instalment of scummy behaviour from him. It wasn't even that bad really but everybody just knows that's it's a symptom of his extremely sinister personality. The thing that really annoys me about it is how it wasn't in any way a heat of the moment type of thing. He was calm and collected and he just decided, coolly to hit Pederson a box because he felt like being a bully.

It's hard to see this guy playing the game because we know that his scumbag mentality is being overlooked because of his talent.

I know, but its disproportionate to others IMHO. Dont remember too many calls for other well known offenders with history to be kicked out of the game. Again why did you say it was a cool calm and collected decision and not in the heat of the moment? Thats my point exactly, he has been demonised. Scumbag yes, Hitler, no..... (Queue pics of the Villa game)

....which leads me to another example of a time where things were completely blown out of all proportion

I know, but its disproportionate to others IMHO. Dont remember too many calls for other well known offenders with history to be kicked out of the game. Again why did you say it was a cool calm and collected decision and not in the heat of the moment? Thats my point exactly, he has been demonised. Scumbag yes, Hitler, no..... (Queue pics of the Villa game)

....which leads me to another example of a time where things were completely blown out of all proportion

Who are you comparing him to? Maybe you need to actually have a read up on his history. His history is pretty terrible and a lot worse than the likes of Keane's, de Jong's, most players that you might want to compare him to.

Why did I say it was a cool decision not in the heat of the moment? Because it was, you can see that in the video. The players aren't having a row, Barton just decided he wanted to act the dickhead. Like he has done many times before.

Who are you comparing him to? Maybe you need to actually have a read up on his history. His history is pretty terrible and a lot worse than the likes of Keane's, de Jong's, most players that you might want to compare him to.

Why did I say it was a cool decision not in the heat of the moment? Because it was, you can see that in the video. The players aren't having a row, Barton just decided he wanted to act the dickhead. Like he has done many times before.

Sorry, i dont agree with you. I am aware of his previous indiscretions and am not defending the guy. Keane wend out to end a players career (by his own admission) how you can say thats not as bad as anything Barton has done is beyond me!! That was a vicious premeditated assault designed to cause the maximum amount of damage to a player!

Also your assuming that it was a premeditated act because of what you saw on TV! and your reasoning "because it was", followed by "he just wanted to act the dickhead". Speculation at best. Not that it would excuse Barton but since we are in the realms of fanciful speculation lets say Pederson had thrown a few sly digs earlier, maybe threw a few insults at him and that was a reaction to provocation.

Barton has committed some seriously despicable acts, that is not up for debate. Laughing at the guy when he gets kicked up and down the pitch or printing rubbish stories about nazi salutes makes a mockery of the whole situation.

Whatever the chap does will always be painted in the worst possible light. Whos fault is that? Of course its Joey Bartons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What he did last night was just plain thuggery. And with his history there is no place in the game for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Taking this taste in isolation and not comparing it to anything else, it's vile and leaves a really bad taste after consumption. Never is punching someone neccessary in football but Bartons actions are those that just simply would not cross the minds of a normal person. He doesent say a word to Pederson he just looks angerd steps towards him and then punches him in the chest sending the Blackburn midfielder to the floor. Unlike in many serious/dangerous acts of play (not all sadly), normally tackles it must be said, there is not intent to injure or hurt the opponent this is 100% not the case here with Barton. No matter what anyone says there is full intent to hurt someone when a punch like that is thrown especially in an environment which never sees punches thrown and when he really didnt have all that much provocation for such an action.

combine that to his track record and honestly he is not a player I want to watch playing football in one of the best leagues in the world (not that the standard is neccesarily the point). IMO He is also very lucky that it was Pederson he hit and that he got up so quickly, can you imagine the media circus we would be seeing if it was someone like Ronaldo! there is a reason repeat offenders get threated more harshly and when someone does something so outside the rules of the game they should be made an example of.

comparing his actions on the pitch is all well and good even if they differ by the ones being compared by and large being tackles but If you do so atleast add in if you think the person your comparing to should have been allowed continue playing football and how their case is similar/different to that of Mr Barton who imo is little more than a thug with talent who has continiously let down the fans of the clubs he has played for despite they fact that he has been given numerous second chances in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I always find it funny how scumbags actually look like scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Ban for life? You're having a laugh.

6 game ban - defo.

We have all played against thugs and people who continue to do this type of crap need to have their bans increased until they stop.
    The punishment that is being doled out to him now obviously doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't call for him to be banned for life, that is a bit harsh, There are players that have taken their frustration out in much worse ways - for instance trying to hide it in a tackle - that type is worse for me.

I would much rather Barton do what he did last night, than hold that thought in his head and do serious damage to a player the next time he gets to vent it with his feet.

I am by no way saying what he did was ok, and I feel it warrants much more than a 2 or 3 game ban, which will be a serious shame for Barton, because as most have indicated he has been superb this season and there really was no need for him to do what he did.

Pedersen merely brushed into him, and he reacted like that - you can understand how he gets himself in the off the pitch situations that have happened in the past - the guy must have a serious chip on his shoulder.

On a final note, i must commend Pedersen for the interview afterwards, he kept his head and just called for people to look at the video evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to say Morten Gamst Pedersen was quite classy afterwards, although pretty, understandably, subdued.

he even smiled as Barton tried to convince him it was a 'push'.

unbelievable thuggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Meh, I'd be with flahavaj on this one - hardly the crime of the century.

It's a dig in the ribs, you'd give and get worse to/from your mates in the pub.

People are being pansies imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Over reaction by a few in here, he'll get a three game ban and that's probably what it deserves.

For me, Tom Huddlestone standing on Elmander last week was worse but nothing happened there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

keane2097 wrote: »
    Meh, I'd be with flahavaj on this one - hardly the crime of the century.

It's a dig in the ribs, you'd give and get worse to/from your mates in the pub.

People are being pansies imo.

Is the right answer. Some of the comments on the thread so far are hilarious. Locked up, banned for life etc... Anyone who has played football would have gotten a lot worse, and probably given a lot worse, in their time. Much ado about nothing.

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    Over reaction by a few in here, he'll get a three game ban and that's probably what it deserves.

For me, Tom Huddlestone standing on Elmander last week was worse but nothing happened there.

That was what i was eluding to in my post above, I'd prefer a punch in the chest in frustration, rather than a player trying to mask it like Huddlestone,

Huddlestone didn't even do a great job of masking it and he still got away with it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

fkiely wrote: »
    Is the right answer. Some of the comments on the thread so far are hilarious. Locked up, banned for life etc... Anyone who has played football would have gotten a lot worse, and probably given a lot worse, in their time. Much ado about nothing.

It's obviously not just for this, Barton is at stuff like this all his career.

Johner wrote: »
    It's obviously not just for this, Barton is at stuff like this all his career.

Fair enough, but people who were willing to "give him a chance" after he stubbed a fag out in some young fella's eye who want him hanged from the highest tree after this little rabbit punch are lol.

A lot of soccer fans love and will gleefully jump upon any reason for a good old pillorying of a player.

This was stupid, dirty and deserving of a couple of games on the sideline, but it's as close to a nothing incident as can be imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he willingly punched a guy in the ribs.

it's not about being a pansy, it's about not punching someone during a game of football.

i think that's a reasonable enough request.

if i brushed past someone in real life, and the guy came back and gave me a dig in the ribs, i'd call it thuggery. and i think most people here would to.

i reckon people are just being a bit otherwise.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he willingly punched a guy in the ribs.

it's not about being a pansy, it's about not punching someone during a game of football.

i think that's a reasonable enough request.

if i brushed past someone in real life, and the guy came back and gave me a dig in the ribs, i'd call it thuggery. and i think most people here would to.

i reckon people are just being a bit otherwise.

These are not the same.

If a random guy comes up to you on the street and hits you, it's one thing.

If a guy you've been involved in a physical sport with probably multiple times does it it's something else.

I don't condone it, but I don't think it's a big deal.

As the more level-headed people have pointed out, you would brush off worse than that regularly in almost every other field game in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ah lads he needs to be banned full stop ..

Not for the punch but because the Numpty should know better at this stage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Banned fullstop?
    Oh please.

It's so easy to jump on the "Joey Barton Hate Wagon" as soon as he does anything wrong.
    Funny enough, no one mentioned what a revelation he has been in midfield. Another assist last night, not to mention all the other assists he's got since the start of the season.

Now, I'm not saying that it's right to do anything of the sort, but it's Pedersen's fault and he knows that. GHe sticks out a slight elbow, as well as saying some thing I'm sure.
    Joey wouldn't just flip for a brush up against him.

Against Wolves he did nothing time after time of being crashed into in midfield.
    Yet MOTD all laugh at him, simple because of his past.

If it was Walcott they'd be crying and calling for Henry/ whoever to get a serious ban.

Joey will get a 3-4 match ban here, and hopefully will get back to doing what he's good at, playing football.

It's a mans game, a slight bit of force into the ribs and there's outrage.
    Not even mentioning how the two of them pretty much laughed it off in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Right, so if it was the other way around you wouldnt be calling for any action against the opposition player, sure punching someone is all part of the "mans game"

Doocey wrote: »
    Banned fullstop?

Now, I'm not saying that it's right to do anything of the sort, but it's Pedersen's fault and he knows that. GHe sticks out a slight elbow, as well as saying some thing I'm sure.

Yeah sickening behaviour from Pedersen alright,

A full force elbow into Barton there, lucky he didn't cause damage and I'm not a qualified lip reader, but like yourself I'm sure he said something, he must have, sure why else would Barton the loveable rouge react,

I can't be certain but I'm sure the word Nazi was uttered.

There is one person to blame here, and what he done is even more foolish considering he has been having a great season, but that's the type of person he is, he just keeps on doing stupid things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I love the way people over react to things like this and jump on their moral high horse. Since when did giving someone a little dig become such a big deal, I have seen it happen so many times down the local park. Yeah barton is a scumbag because of some things he has done in the past but this is not that bad tbh.

Sorry, i dont agree with you. I am aware of his previous indiscretions and am not defending the guy. Keane wend out to end a players career (by his own admission) how you can say thats not as bad as anything Barton has done is beyond me!! That was a vicious premeditated assault designed to cause the maximum amount of damage to a player!

You think there wasn't a shìt storm and calls for criminal charges / life ban for Keane? There was. But to compare Keane's record to Barton's is wrong. Barton has numerous charges for assault against him ffs. Keane went out to get revenge after a leg break incident in a rivalry game. What Keane did was bad but Barton - has stubbed a cigar out in a young lads eye at a party with no provocation, assaulted a defenceless guy lying on the ground, attacked a team mate from behind at the training ground, etc, etc. His record is worse and easily bad enough for people in general to talk about him being banned from the game.
    This incident is just refreshing it in everybody's mind.
    Also your assuming that it was a premeditated act because of what you saw on TV! and your reasoning "because it was", followed by "he just wanted to act the dickhead". Speculation at best. Not that it would excuse Barton but since we are in the realms of fanciful speculation lets say Pederson had thrown a few sly digs earlier, maybe threw a few insults at him and that was a reaction to provocation.

Well done on the selective quoting. Completely missing the sentence where I said ''You can see it in the video''. A fairly important sentence that. Peterson brushes past him, Barton puffs himself up walks over to him and throws a dig. If you want to speculate about some possible mitigating circumstances go ahead. I don't really feel the need.

In truth the punch is not that big a deal but when you fit it into his despicable record it becomes fairly annoying to me. It's a bit sickening to see someone like Barton continuing to act like a thug and being indulged because of his talent. He should have been banned from the game a long time ago in my opinion. Although that doesn't mean he should be banned for this incident, I'm just saying it's annoying to see him still around, still being a thug.
    Barton has committed some seriously despicable acts, that is not up for debate. Laughing at the guy when he gets kicked up and down the pitch or printing rubbish stories about nazi salutes makes a mockery of the whole situation.

Whatever the chap does will always be painted in the worst possible light. Whos fault is that? Of course its Joey Bartons!

You're mistaking me with the MOTD muppets and the tabloids. I didn't laugh at him getting kicked or make the nazi claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Banned fullstop?
    Oh please.

It's so easy to jump on the "Joey Barton Hate Wagon" as soon as he does anything wrong.
    Funny enough, no one mentioned what a revelation he has been in midfield. Another assist last night, not to mention all the other assists he's got since the start of the season.

Against Wolves he did nothing time after time of being crashed into in midfield.
    Yet MOTD all laugh at him, simple because of his past.

If it was Walcott they'd be crying and calling for Henry/ whoever to get a serious ban.

Joey will get a 3-4 match ban here, and hopefully will get back to doing what he's good at, playing football.

It's a mans game, a slight bit of force into the ribs and there's outrage.
    Not even mentioning how the two of them pretty much laughed it off in the end.

:Dpoor little walcottt getting mentioned in a joey barton thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I always find it funny how scumbags actually look like scumbags.

What an outstanding contribution. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lol at the "its mans game" "me and my mates do worse in the pub" "you get it playing ball down the park all the time", macho, letting on hardman sh1te.

Real men don't go around digging each other in the ribs on or off the pitch, thats the action of boys who havent grown up yet, a man should have control over his actions.

Barton should get a few games ban from the FA and Newcastle should make him go to a psychologist if he's not seeing one already.

Lol at the "its mans game" "me and my mates do worse in the pub" "you get it playing ball down the park all the time", macho, letting on hardman sh1te.

Real men don't go around digging each other in the ribs on or off the pitch, thats the action of boys who havent grown up yet, a man should have control over his actions.

Barton should get a few games ban from the FA and Newcastle should make him go to a psychologist if he's not seeing one already.

Do you even play sports?

Seriously, I'm actually stunned that people can make this into such a big deal. Watch any other field sport and you'll see people shrug off much worse.

It was a dig, give him a a three game ban and move on. It was nothing.

The pansies comment earlier was tongue-in-cheek, but I can see that I was actually on the money from this bleeding heart bullshít tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

mixednuts wrote: »
    Ah lads he needs to be banned full stop ..

Not for the punch but because the Numpty should know better at this stage .

thats a bit harsh :rolleyes:

Yeah sickening behaviour from Pedersen alright,

A full force elbow into Barton there, lucky he didn't cause damage and I'm not a qualified lip reader, but like yourself I'm sure he said something, he must have, sure why else would Barton the loveable rouge react,

I can't be certain but I'm sure the word Nazi was uttered.

There is one person to blame here, and what he done is even more foolish considering he has been having a great season, but that's the type of person he is, he just keeps on doing stupid things.

Hilarious. :rolleyes:
    You really think Barton would flip just from someone brushing up against him?
    Especially after he was practically kicked up an down Molineux, I somehow doubt he's throw a little 'tap' into Pedersen's stomach.

Mind you, funny to see how easy a modern football player, that spends a large amount of time in the gym and participates in serious cardio every day falls to the ground from a little dig in the ribs.

All I'm saying is, a major over-reaction to this whole thing, but as it's been said already, Joey really should know better.

Calls for a lifetime ban are just utterly ridiculous.

kryogen wrote: »
    Right, so if it was the other way around you wouldnt be calling for any action against the opposition player, sure punching someone is all part of the "mans game"

Hilarious. :rolleyes:
    You really think Barton would flip just from someone brushing up against him?
    Especially after he was practically kicked up an down Molineux, I somehow doubt he's throw a little 'tap' into Pedersen's stomach.

Mind you, funny to see how easy a modern football player, that spends a large amount of time in the gym and participates in serious cardio every day falls to the ground from a little dig in the ribs.

All I'm saying is, a major over-reaction to this whole thing, but as it's been said already, Joey really should know better.

Calls for a lifetime ban are just utterly ridiculous.

First off I never called for a lifetime ban, and I agree with you that a lot of people have over reacted on this one.

However, i don't think it was a little dig as you say, it seems to have had a little more force than you are insinuating. You also claimed they laughed it off, when they didn't - I assume you are referring to the bit where Pedersen was questioning Barton's stance that it was a push/shove, I think that is what Pedersen was laughing at.

I don't like players diving, and Pedersen has history, however this was not a dive, he could have made things a lot worse for Barton in terms of simulation. I think Pedersen has reacted very well surrounding the issue - It is up to the FA and I can see a 4 game minimum coming from this for him, which is a shame.

Barton charged, 3 match ban.

About fair, and hopefully put this to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Ms. Nolan is getting the spare room ready for him as we speak.

You think there wasn't a shìt storm and calls for criminal charges / life ban for Keane? There was. But to compare Keane's record to Barton's is wrong. Barton has numerous charges for assault against him ffs. Keane went out to get revenge after a leg break incident in a rivalry game. What Keane did was bad but Barton - has stubbed a cigar out in a young lads eye at a party with no provocation, assaulted a defenceless guy lying on the ground, attacked a team mate from behind at the training ground, etc, etc. His record is worse and easily bad enough for people in general to talk about him being banned from the game.
    This incident is just refreshing it in everybody's mind.

Well done on the selective quoting. Completely missing the sentence where I said ''You can see it in the video''. A fairly important sentence that. Peterson brushes past him, Barton puffs himself up walks over to him and throws a dig. If you want to speculate about some possible mitigating circumstances go ahead. I don't really feel the need.

In truth the punch is not that big a deal but when you fit it into his despicable record it becomes fairly annoying to me. It's a bit sickening to see someone like Barton continuing to act like a thug and being indulged because of his talent. He should have been banned from the game a long time ago in my opinion. Although that doesn't mean he should be banned for this incident, I'm just saying it's annoying to see him still around, still being a thug.

You're mistaking me with the MOTD muppets and the tabloids. I didn't laugh at him getting kicked or make the nazi claims.

I can partially agree with you on the first point, but still feel that Keane also assaulted a defenseless person. He had decided to do it before the game. Thats a hell of a lot worse than doing something in a fit of rage, which Barton seems to have a habit of doing. I think there are several players who do go out into a game with the intention of hurting other pros.

Second point: "you can see it on the telly" is hardly any better im afraid

Third point: Agreed but then apply it to all unsavory elements equally whether it be players who deliberately hurt other players etc not just Joey Barton

Fourth point: I was merely illustrating just how skewed the situation is. I was not insinuating that was your view, nor was I comparing their views with yours. Apologies if it came across like that.

Anyway hes been banned and received fair punishment for the offense in question IMO. I wonder how many more chances he will get at Newcastle? I hope he is handed the maximum club penalty too.

Barton said:
    "I fully accept that I was in the wrong on this occasion and accept the charge that the FA have brought against me.

"I would like to apologise to Chris Hughton, my team-mates, our supporters and of course to Morten Gamst Pedersen and Blackburn Rovers.

"This season, I have really been enjoying my football and although I have been on the receiving end of a few robust challenges, I have, up until now, remained calm in the face of provocation and just carried on with the game.

"But I hold my hands up, I reacted badly to the situation on Wednesday night and I deeply regret it.

"I have been working very hard to keep that side of my game under control and I think it has showed in the way I have been able to get on and enjoy my football this season.

"I look forward to trying to get back into the team once my suspension is over and helping the club maintain its good start to the season."

Ah sure all is forgiven so Joey:rolleyes:, not good enough by half

A statement obviously wirtten by his legal advisor.

Ah well, better than nothing.

3 games ban, and back in RM he slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

These are not the same.

If a random guy comes up to you on the street and hits you, it's one thing.

If a guy you've been involved in a physical sport with probably multiple times does it it's something else.

I don't condone it, but I don't think it's a big deal.

As the more level-headed people have pointed out, you would brush off worse than that regularly in almost every other field game in the world.

So if you yourself were playing in a football game and some chap you were playing against punches you for no good reason, that's okay, because it's a physical game and you should expect this sort of thing :) Sure it's no big deal like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

BArton sees red too easily, not a serious dig, I think the 3 match ban that a straight red would have given him is fair, though he does need to address his anger issues.

So if you yourself were playing in a football game and some chap you were playing against punches you for no good reason, that's okay, because it's a physical game and you should expect this sort of thing :) Sure it's no big deal like.

Nope he should get sent off, and if he doesn't he should expect a good kick at my next convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nope he should get sent off, and if he doesn't he should expect a good kick at my next convenience.

So pedersen should have retaliated and kicked him back.

Yeah I wonder how this thread would have started had that happened, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It was a stupid reaction from barton but is it worse than a player going into a tackle studs up to do damage. We see tackles every week - late,over the ball or follow through that leave players in agony but only get yellow cards. Pederson was up and smiling after a couple of minutes.

So pedersen should have retaliated and kicked him back.

Yeah I wonder how this thread would have started had that happened, lol

That's how it tends to go in most sports, but then again most sports haven't been immasculated to the same degree soccer has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A little dig in the chest and he's a scumbag? FFS.
    I know a 15 year old that was playing in a rugby match at the weekend(u-17) and he got bitten in the hand, ridiculously deep. Had to go to hospital and get Rabies shots. No comparison between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

baz2009 wrote: »
    A little dig in the chest and he's a scumbag? FFS.
    I know a 15 year old that was playing in a rugby match at the weekend(u-17) and he got bitten in the hand, ridiculously deep. Had to go to hospital and get Rabies shots. No comparison between the two.

I think he gets the title ''scumbag'' from other minor incidents such as...

-Barton sparked a ten-man brawl in a friendly match against Doncaster on 25 July 2004 after "hacking" at an opposition player.

-He stubbed out a lit cigar in youth player Jamie Tandy's eye, after he had caught Tandy attempting to set fire to his shirt. Barton subsequently apologised for his actions and was fined six weeks' wages (£60,000).

-The following summer, Barton was sent home from a pre-season tournament in Thailand after assaulting a 15-year-old Everton supporter

-Barton was fined £100,000 and suspended by City until the end of the 2006/2007 on 1 May 2007, following an incident during training when he assaulted his team mate Ousmane Dabo.

-10 September 2006, television cameras captured Barton exposing his backside to Everton fans, following City's injury-time equaliser in a game at Goodison Park.

-During his first Tyne-Wear derby for Newcastle against Sunderland, Barton appeared to raise his foot dangerously in a challenge with Sunderland's Dickson Etuhu.

-May 2005 he broke a 35-year-old pedestrian's leg while driving his car through Liverpool city centre at 2 am.

-Arrested on suspicion of assault and criminal damage after an alleged argument with a taxi driver in Liverpool while going to his hotel after a match on 13 March 2007.

-27 December 2007, Barton was arrested on suspicion of assault in the Church Street area of Liverpool city centre following an incident which took place at 5:30 am.

-On 20 May 2008, he was sentenced to six months in jail after pleading guilty for his part in the December 2007 assault.

Add to that he is a a self confessed alcholic and his brother is serving a life term in prision due to murdering someone with an axe, in a racial attack.

You can see why he's called a scumbag and why people think he shouldn't be left on the pitch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Chris Hughton defending him on SSN. Said it's something that probably happened in every match last night :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

eagle eye wrote: »
    Look the reason I brought this up is that Joey Barton has a horrendous history of thuggish behaviour. This was more of it. When players are tacking for a ball in a game and things happen there can always be some doubt as to whether they meant to do what they did. When a player just comes over and punches another player hard in the chest there is no excuse for that behaviour. This shows that Joey Barton cannot control himself and its why I believe that he should not be on a pitch.

While he didn't do major damage to Pedersen on this occasion a player who lacks any self control is liable to end up badly injuring somebody and when you consider his history this should not be tolerated for the good of the game and for the safety of other footballers.

Sounds like one Z. Zidane to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

fullstop wrote: »
    Chris Hughton defending him on SSN. Said it's something that probably happened in every match last night :rolleyes:

I like Hughton but he really shouldn't defend the indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If you want to understand Barton's actions and behaviour look up an interview he did with Gaby Logan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement