Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If you want to understand Barton's actions and behaviour look up an interview he did with Gaby Logan.

Did he give her a slap ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

greendom wrote: »
    Did he give her a slap ?

He rimmed her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He deserved the ban he got. He was stupid for doing it and deserves his punishment.

I can understand the "scumbag" stigma attached to his name but the double standards from the media are an absolute joke.

Joey gets kicked about the place when we play Wolves and they laugh about it.

He punches Gamst Pedersen and is slated for it. Ok, it was stupid to react like that but I personally believe the FA charged Barton due to his reputation.

Where's the continuity with the FA? Why wasn't Huddlestone charged for what he did midweek?

I'm not saying Barton shouldn't have been charged but I'm just wondering where on earth the continuity is within the FA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Add to that he is a a self confessed alcholic and his brother is serving a life term in prision due to murdering someone with an axe, in a racial attack.

You can see why he's called a scumbag and why people think he shouldn't be left on the pitch again.

I think that logic is beyond idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think that logic is beyond idiotic.

Well, I never said he should be judged over his brother being a murderer but I was making the point that no matter what way you look at it, it tarnishes the Barton name. And added to the endless list of Joey's other incidents, it doesen't make for good reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's entirely irrelevant.

As is his ****ing alcoholism?!

Well, I never said he should be judged over his brother being a murderer but I was making the point that no matter what way you look at it, it tarnishes the Barton name. And added to the endless list of Joey's other incidents, it doesen't make for good reading.

Look he's been punished for his off field misdeeds and he has been charged on the field for his misdeeds.

Label him a "scumbag" if you wish. He was stupid to get involved in something so petty with Pedersen.

My biggest gripe is with the FA and their inconsistency. If they're going to punish Barton then they have to punish everyone else.

In fact, they should go back on their video evidence of the Spurs game and charge Huddlestone for his stamp on Elmander.

I think the FA have gone by his past reputation in handing out this 3 game suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's entirely irrelevant.

As is his ****ing alcoholism?!

+1. Anyone with the guts to confess to being an alcoholic, especially a public figure deserves praise not condemnation. It doesn't excuse any of the other horrible things he's done, but it certainly should be taken off the list of things he deserves abuse for and added to the list of things to give the lad credit for.

flahavaj wrote: »
    +1. Anyone with the guts to confess to being an alcoholic, especially a public figure deserves praise not condemnation. It doesn't excuse any of the other horrible things he's done, but it certainly should be taken off the list of things he deserves abuse for and added to the list of things to give the lad credit for.

Postives: His crossing and his confession to being an alcoholic.

Negatives: Mmmm. Where do I begin?......
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That_Guy wrote: »
    Postives: His crossing and his confession to being an alcoholic.

Negatives: Mmmm. Where do I begin?......
    :pac:

Cut the back off him all ye like, I just don't know why anyone would need to use his alcoholism when there'a plenty more to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Barton is a scumbag, can't teach an old mongrel new manners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

flahavaj wrote: »
    Cut the back off him all ye like, I just don't know why anyone would need to use his alcoholism when there'a plenty more to work with.

Exactly. We know what he has done in the past but bringing up the alcoholism is a stupid point to make in an argument against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

At least when he gets sent off he hits them properly not like many red cards in the prem in the last few years where a little touch from a player towards another players face, player go down like he's been shot and the player is sent off.

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    At least when he gets sent off he hits them properly not like many red cards in the prem in the last few years where a little touch from a player towards another players face, player go down like he's been shot and the player is sent off.

Yeah but both things have to seriously be cut down in the game. Don't get me wrong, I like tackling and love to see a perfectly executed tackle.

Off the ball incidents like Barton's on Wednesday have to be stamped out and hopefully he and many other players will learn from it.
    The FA need to be stricter and more consistent with their fines to ensure that players take note and cop the fcuk on.

As for simulation, well that may be an argument for another thread.

Advertisement