Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny City is Beautiful

Options
  • 10-11-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm sure your thinking I am a visitor. But no I am a native of KK. It took me working away from KK to appreciate how beautiful it is. I used walk past the castle each morning and didn't bat an eyelid. I take notice now. Rothe House, Tholsel, Castle, St Kieran's College, St Canice's Cathedral, St Mary's Cathedral, The Left Bank Pub, Carnegie Library, Old Technical College, Design Centre, Shee Alms House, St John's Church, County Hall, Black Abbey, and the Courthouse. Dublin aside their is no other urban centre in the country to match this array of fine buildings. Ours is a beautiful city and I'm proud to be from here. Hail the Marble City. My favourite vista is standing on John's Bridge and looking up at the Castle. There are opportunities for criticism but I'm am gonna refrain. I love Kilkenny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I was driving down John St the other morning (during the week) and I saw a girl walking along unwrap an bar of chocolate and just throw the wrapper on the ground in the (otherwise spotlessly clean) street.

Now, this one was pretty well dressed and looked fairly decent (i.e. she wasn't a scumbag)..

It made me so ANGRY... I really surprised myself by how angry i got. i love this town, I've lived here all my life. The sun was shining, the place was looking great and everyone was out and about their business and this fking fat bastrd bitch had to go fk it all up for everyone with her revolting littering habit.

I actually became consumed with rage, lucky I was in the car, God knows what I would have done if I was walking on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

Seems you need anger management classes.lol. I'd have run the fat fcuk over, but she prob would have cost me serious car repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I love going for a nice walk when the weather is good around the castle grounds and then to the park it's so beautiful. It's been ages since I sat in the grass and just sketched everything around me I must do it again during the summer, I might take some photographs soon though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

It is beautiful. I love Kilkenny, its always been my home and i really miss it. I cant wait to get back there again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Agreed. You also forgot to include the magnificent St. Canice's Round Tower. It's not only the city that has all the marvel, the county is one of the most historic in Ireland.
    We have round towers, castles and high crosses in abundance.

We have monastic sites and round towers all around the county such as Aghaviller, Grangefertagh, Kilree and Tullaherin.
    We have castles such as Mount Sandford Castle, Ballyragget Castle, Grennan Castle, Clara Castle, Burnchurch Castle, Gowran Castle and Foulksrath Castle.
    We have Dunmore Caves, Jerpoint Abbey, Kells Priory and Duiske Abbey.
    We have modern day attractions like Castlecomer Discovery Park, Jenkinstown Park, Kilfane Gardens & Glen and we have Woodstock Gardens.

Could we seriously ask for anymore?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

yes it is the most beautiful of cities, which is something no one pushes, we are not a town, a city, yes go out into the county such beauty, the visitor is spoilt for choice, however if you ain't got a car or a bike forget it you'll never see the beauty of Kilkenny, even getting here from the ferry is fraught with frustration, lets find an honest politician who will do something for Kilkenny rather than feather his or her own nest, we have climate warming rammed down our throat, pity we can't sit Brian cowan on top of one of the volvano's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

by the way how do we hide Hugginstown no one would ask any visitor to go there, it must qualify as the worst place in Ireland unless you know different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

lets find an honest politician who will do something for Kilkenny rather than feather his or her own nest, we have climate warming rammed down our throat, pity we can't sit Brian cowan on top of one of the volvano's
    You need an honest electorate for a honest political system, we're a few years of pain away from that yet.

Kilkenny is a pretty urban area (discussion of town/city status is a no no on this forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

Catbear there is no need for a city/town debate in relation to Kilkenny. Kilkenny, the Marble City, is a city full stop. End of debate.

keithj75 wrote: »
    Catbear there is no need for a city/town debate in relation to Kilkenny. Kilkenny, the Marble City, is a city full stop. End of debate.
    Discussion of whether Kilkenny is a city or not is prohibited. Why? Every time someone tries, it ends up a big mess. Instant ban for any muppet who brings it up. (See "Note 3")
    from the Kilkenny forum charter
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=297339
    I only mentioned it because of a post by foxycoverteddy that showed he may not be aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Agree OP, not from Kilkenny originally but love the place, there are so many gorgeous places in the County.

Inistiogue (sp?) in particular is my idea of Heaven on earth, Thomastown is a lovely quirky town also, off the beaten track the St. Fiachra's grotto is beautiful as is the walk down by the river.

The town centre in Kilkenny is beautiful, its like my favourite bits of Dublin & London on a smaller scale. The Castle gardens/park are such a brilliant amenity to have in the County also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

yes it is the most beautiful of cities, which is something no one pushes, we are not a town, a city, yes go out into the county such beauty, the visitor is spoilt for choice, however if you ain't got a car or a bike forget it you'll never see the beauty of Kilkenny, even getting here from the ferry is fraught with frustration, lets find an honest politician who will do something for Kilkenny rather than feather his or her own nest, we have climate warming rammed down our throat, pity we can't sit Brian cowan on top of one of the volvano's

I think that's a bit unfair TBH. I'm no fan of politicans in general, but in Kilkenny we're relatively lucky in the ones we have, and have had in the past. Not everything that makes Kilkenny an enjoyable place to visit, and a nice place to work was put in place in the Middle Ages. The restoration of the castle, the canal walk, the flood defences, the parade renewal, the paving on the paths etc etc were all decisions lobbied for, or made, by Kilkenny politicans. I know that bashing pols is never going to lose anyone any friends, but credit where it's due, we could to a lot worse in Kilkenny when it comes to our elected representatives.

On topic: The view of the river and the castle from the seating area on the Dublin Rd is my favourite sight in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

wonderful place i must admit i very much enjoy going there now with my own kids as i had often visited it in my younger years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

catbear wrote: »
    You need an honest electorate for a honest political system, we're a few years of pain away from that yet.

Kilkenny is a pretty urban area (discussion of town/city status is a no no on this forum).

As is back seat modding!!!

Agree OP, not from Kilkenny originally but love the place, there are so many gorgeous places in the County.

Inistiogue (sp?) in particular is my idea of Heaven on earth, Thomastown is a lovely quirky town also, off the beaten track the St. Fiachra's grotto is beautiful as is the walk down by the river.

The town centre in Kilkenny is beautiful, its like my favourite bits of Dublin & London on a smaller scale. The Castle gardens/park are such a brilliant amenity to have in the County also.

Inistioge!!! or Inis Tíog as gaeilge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Same here. It wasnt until last year that I started to appreciate Kilkenny city. I love just walking through Kilkenny, looking at all the beautiful sites. One thing that made me a bit angry is the way they didn't make the parade look more medieval and sticking with the cities history. None the less, its still nicer than a big dirty taxi rank.

As is back seat modding!!!
    There was nothing backseat about it, it was the truth and I was being helpful. The guidelines don't prohibit anyone from sharing constructive information and I don't have any moderation power and so I am puzzled by your assertion.
    Referring someone to a rule that they seemed not to be aware of is not moderation, it's simply courtesy. Do you agree?

catbear wrote: »
    There was nothing backseat about it, it was the truth and I was being helpful. The guidelines don't prohibit anyone from sharing constructive information and I don't have any moderation power and so I am puzzled by your assertion.
    Referring someone to a rule that they seemed not to be aware of is not moderation, it's simply courtesy. Do you agree?

I suppose so! And my own comment could be seen as doing the same thing!! Sorry about that, kind of out of line . . .:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Had a great time in Kilkenny earlier this year. Can't wait to go back.
    Who is the manager of Langtons? If you see him tell him to take a bow.
    Had a lovely meal there before heading up to Nowlan Park to watch Glorious Galway hammer poor Wexford :pac:.
    Great staff there and excellent service.

Disappointed with the Marble City Bar, I've seen photographs of the front of the place on countless postcards and posters over the years and looked forward to having a pint in what appears to be a traditional pub from the outside. My heart sank when I went inside to discover that the interior has been "refurbished" and transformed into yet another soulless gastropub.

So I kept going and went out the back door and down the road a bit until I found a real gem of a pub with no bullshít attached.
    I think it was called Riada's. Lovely pint of Smithwicks in there and friendly locals.
    Like I said - Can't wait to go back !

Lapin wrote: »
    Disappointed with the Marble City Bar, I've seen photographs of the front of the place on countless postcards and posters over the years and looked forward to having a pint in what appears to be a traditional pub from the outside. My heart sank when I went inside to discover that the interior has been "refurbished" and transformed into yet another soulless gastropub.

The food is great there though!! you should have tried it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Lapin wrote: »
    Who is the manager of Langtons? If you see him tell him to take a bow. ......
    Disappointed with the Marble City Bar,
    Same guy owns both. So while he is taking a bow for Langtons he could simultaneously bow his head in shame for what he did to the MCB.

He could, but he shouldn't. Their business is the benchmark to which all bars and hotels should be compared. They are very very good at what they do. I am a regular patron of Langton's and highly satisfied repeat customer.

And the MCB cheese and bacon burger is sublime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I origionally come from the foot of the Galtees. A beautiful place. Having lived in Dublin for the last ten years, my partner and I relocated to kilkenny city(kinda sticks a little in my throat) almost two years ago.
    It still wows me. Went for a walk along the river two weeks ago. breath taking with the autumnal colours.
    My favorite view is driving into town from the dublin roundabout(now paulstown roundabout). Just at the top of maulin street, if you look left there is a breath taking view of the top of the *cough* city.
    Amazing!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Jinxi wrote: »
    My favorite view is driving into town from the dublin roundabout(now paulstown roundabout). Just at the top of maulin street, if you look left there is a breath taking view of the top of the *cough* city.
    Amazing!:D

This one? Yeah, it's one of my faves too.

4A4F5DC6F0F344379D4BA0444F3E325C-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

That picture should take a bow.

Beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Thats the one! breathtaking

• Registered Users Posts: 19 djwalsh

That is the view i have from my office on Dublin road.
    The place looked great during the cold snap last year

Could be some more pictures like that before the end of the week going by this thread. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

The snow so beautiful around the castle in Winter, I love going shopping around Christmas time when the lights and decorations are all up so pretty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Was browsing through the posts and spotted this one. Have to agree that Kilkenny is beautiful. When St Mary's Hall was purchased by the state in January 2010 the Irish Times stated that St Mary's Hall lay midway between St Canice's Cathedral and Kilkenny Castle. The most important medieval urban landscape in the country! Not a bad commentary for our lovely city. Now of course we know St Mary's Hall is a nice bit closer to the Castle than the Cathedral. :D
    I go around the country taking pictures of old buildings and through this hobby I became aware of a website called buildingsofireland.com. Very interesting. I think save Dublin, Kilkenny City is the next best populated in terms of buildings rated as being of national interest. :)
    I love walking the following route with my dog. Along the parade. Up High St, onto Parliament St, left on Dean St, cut down by the Black Abbey, Up Blackmill St, Parnell St, New St, left onto Ormonde Road, Patrick St, Rose Inn St and turn right onto Canal Walk and home again. Takes in most of the historic sights in the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I'm originally from Dublin and moved to just outside Kilkenny about 8 years ago. its a wonderful place to live. its got all the culture of a big city with its festivals and its history and nightlife. I travel a lot for work and I'm always grateful to be back in good ole KK. Went for coffee recently on the balcony in blueberry above winstons, and I could have sworn I was in camden or some such.
    Town or City its a nice place to live!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

.... Went for coffee recently on the balcony in blueberry above winstons, and I could have sworn I was in camden or some such.
    Town or City its a nice place to live!!

I thought likewise recently after a visit to Winstons cafe, such a fab addition to a beautiful city :)

Advertisement