Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best train station to get bus to Balbriggan from?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi there,
    I have to go to Dublin tomorrow via train from Galway. I'm going to Dublin street in Balbriggan.

I can arrive into Connolly, Hueston or Pearse. Somebody told me there was a bus every half hour to Balbriggan from one of these stations.

Does anybody know?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Get the LUAS from Heuston to Connolly Station and you can get the train there which takes around 45 minutes and is quite regular at €8 return.

Alternatively from Bus Aras (also on LUAS) get the Bus Eireann 101 which takes around an hour and is €5 single.

The train station is in the center of Balbriggan, 5 mins walk from Dublin Street. The bus will drop you off on Dublin Street.

I would recommend the train for comfort.

Any other questions just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ast.enthus84

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

I will get the LUAS which I think is just outside the entrance of Heuston if I recall correctly to Connolly where a train will get me from Connolly to Balbriggan.

How long does the LUAS take to get to Connolly?

I need to be at an appointment for 1pm and I won't be able to attempt to get the LUAS until 11pm.

I see there is a train to Balbriggan at 11:35 which would land me there at 12:15. That is the only train time that will be suitable for me.

So I just need to know how long the LUAS should take to Connolly and how regular and reliable is it for time?

If everything goes haywire how much would a taxi cost to bring me to Balbriggan say if I arrived at Connolly and missed the train or if I had to get one from Heuston? And do you know how long a taxi would take from either of these locations, I suppose taking into consideration traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I'd say a taxi would cost around €50 to balbriggan and would take around 40 minutes .

Not sure how long the luas would take but you could get a taxi from heuston to connolly which should'nt take any longer than 15 minutes
    and wouldnt cost much.

Ok I have decided to take the safer option and get an earlier train which will leave me two hours to get to Connolly. Thank you both for the advice and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One other option is Dublin Bus Route 33, but this may be quite slow and not very frequent. http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/33/

You should be able to buy a through ticket from your point of origin to Balbriggan (Station code 116), although check if this is best value. You can also have the Luas/bus fare added if you want.
    How long does the LUAS take to get to Connolly?
    Approximately 20-25 minutes.
    I need to be at an appointment for 1pm and I won't be able to attempt to get the LUAS until 11pm.

I see there is a train to Balbriggan at 11:35 which would land me there at 12:15. That is the only train time that will be suitable for me.
    As you only have 35 minutes, that might be cutting things tight. Irish Rail say "Passengers should allow one hour transfer time between Heuston and Connolly Stations.", but that is a bit generous.
    So I just need to know how long the LUAS should take to Connolly and how regular and reliable is it for time?
    Luas runs at a frequency of about 6 minutes at that time of day. It is fairly reliable. I n the event of disruption, there are buses that will be able to take you certainly as far as the city centre. Then just follow the tram tracks to Connolly.

An alternative to Luas is Dublin Bus route 90, but the last departure from Heuston is 10am.
    If everything goes haywire how much would a taxi cost to bring me to Balbriggan say if I arrived at Connolly and missed the train or if I had to get one from Heuston? And do you know how long a taxi would take from either of these locations, I suppose taking into consideration traffic?
    In such a case, potentially get an Airlink coach from Heuston or Connolly to Dublin Airport and then get a taxi. http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Airport-Services/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Jeepers Victor you're a tad late - he was doing the trip on the 11th!!

Arrived there safe and sound in the end.

Spent the whole day travelling nearly with only about 25mins hanging around at any one stage during the day; and that was getting the 17:45 train back! My appointment was 2 hrs long.

Advertisement