Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

editing software

Options
  • 10-11-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all

Not sure if this is correct place to post but...

I am looking to buy some editing software online for home use and I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend one that is easy enough to use but still has all the cool features you would be looking for and chances to do more with the movies / pictures ones you got the hang of it?

Any ideas?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

At the costly end Photoshop CS5 extended will edit both images and video at a professional level.

At the free end GIMP will do most of the image editing Photoshop can do but in a less intuitive interface. For video VirtualDub is a great free editor.

There are a host of less complex image editors such as paint.net and picassa.

In the middle you have Paintshop Pro and Photoshop Essentials.

I would start with the free software. There is some excellent free software that can far exceed what a lot of crappy pay software can do. GIMP is a great choice, tricky to get to grips with at first, but very powerful. Once yu get to grips with that try out the free trials of pay software. Adobe provide 30 day free trials for all their software as well as heavily discounted student editions.

Windows comes with Windows Movie Maker which isn't bad for editing home movies.
    If you're on a Mac you have iLife of course with nifty iPhoto and iMovie installed by default.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

+1 @Suspect, a good balanced lists of options and alternatives there (just what I was going to type of course :) ). Good post

Don't a lot of them use Sony Vegas on Mac? Linux video editing is still maturing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

5uspect wrote: »
    Don't a lot of them use Sony Vegas on Mac? Linux video editing is still maturing at the moment.

I'm not sure you can get Sony Vegas on a mac, Most mac users use iMovie and Final Cut Pro I believe

Mister Man wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can get Sony Vegas on a mac, Most mac users use iMovie and Final Cut Pro I believe

FCP, that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Premiere Elements is supposed ot be pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

gimp should be better cos it is free.

I would recommend it.

It's got a gimpy UI tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

At the costly end Photoshop CS5 extended will edit both images and video at a professional level.
    I didn't know photoshop extended did video at all. By god she does, I guess you learn something new everyday.

Yeah it's pretty cool once you start adding adjustment layers.
    Also you can use the tween tool to make flash like animations for animated gifs very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yeah it's pretty cool once you start adding adjustment layers.
    Also you can use the tween tool to make flash like animations for animated gifs very quickly.
    I had used gif animation in older versions of imageready, it was a separate program wasn't it?

At this rate Photoshop and After Effects will end up doing the same thing. I'm just after getting my head around After Effects it's a madly complicated program, the more like photoshop they can make it the better.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I had used gif animation in older versions of imageready, it was a separate program wasn't it?

At this rate Photoshop and After Effects will end up doing the same thing. I'm just after getting my head around After Effects it's a madly complicated program, the more like photoshop they can make it the better.

I think they split ImageReady into PS and Fireworks.

Totally agree about After Effects, complicated as hell but I still wish I could use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 imyourman

can someone direct me to which application is used to create this kind of animation? I'm looking to do something similar for my media class
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flodMj-DyhI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Just to clear up any confusion, this isn't really true. Photoshop CS5 has some video handling features, but it would be a very very poor video editing tool.

imyourman wrote: »
    can someone direct me to which application is used to create this kind of animation? I'm looking to do something similar for my media class
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flodMj-DyhI

Adobe Flash is pretty much the industry standard for such animations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 imyourman

adobe flash... thanks I appreciate the info....
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fishkyjim

cs5 rules

Advertisement