Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10.6.5 is out!

• 10-11-2010 10:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Check your Software Update.
    The 10.6.5 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes that:

- improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
    - address performance of some image-processing operations in iPhoto and Aperture
    - address stability and performance of graphics applications and games
    - resolve a delay between print jobs
    - address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an AirPort Extreme
    - resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
    - address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
    - resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
    - improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
    - resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
    - improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
    - resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some web sites with Safari 5

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4250.
    For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Update is 517.3 MB for me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It seems there's no AirPrint support as earlier rumours suggested, meaning shared printing from an iPad/iPhone is a no-go for the time being. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

I've just installed on my iMac and 11 inch Air.

No major differences :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

680.1 MB for me on 27" iMac.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Finally finished installing. Everything seems okay.

I always hate restarting though. Safari was totally unresponsive for the first 5 minutes while it cleared the cache. I'm feeling the urge to ditch it for Chrome again.

680mb for me also, just rebooted and all is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Combo Update 695MB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

DON'T click on the above link! (On my Mac it caused Safari to lock up.)
    This is the link: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324

Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update (Combo).
    File Size: 977.21 MB.

This combo update is suitable for any model, which is why it's a larger file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Well it seems to have made a difference for me. I used to get a lot of spinning beach balls on various applications, but they all seem to have disappeared.
    Enjoying having a nice fast Mac once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

The reason the filesizes are different between Talisman ( didn't crash my Mac ) and Liameter ( better option ) is that one is a .pkg file, the other is a .dmg. For safety use the approved Apple version which can be confirmed by the sha-1 code at the bottom of the page. This is how you get the code from the file ( Cut and paste first part of command and drag and drop file into terminal for correct path ).

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

muggyog wrote: »
    The reason the filesizes are different between Talisman ( didn't crash my Mac ) and Liameter ( better option ) is that one is a .pkg file, the other is a .dmg. For safety use the approved Apple version which can be confirmed by the sha-1 code at the bottom of the page. This is how you get the code from the file ( Cut and paste first part of command and drag and drop file into terminal for correct path ).
    OR one could just click the apple logo in the top left, click software update, and be done with it.
    dont mean to be a smartarse, but its basic enough like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Don't really notice any differences so far...

OR one could just click the apple logo in the top left, click software update, and be done with it.

Why didn't I think of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Some of us have multiple macs to update.

Also, for stability reasons, many people prefer combo updates to the standalone patches that Software Update installs. Many smaller issues can be solved this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I haven't tried it out yet properly, but they have included support for the exFAT filesystem. Which would be very handy if you are dual booting between OS X and windows. Plus none of the limitations that made FAT redundant and hopefully better integrated than fuse ntfs was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone know if this will fix the crap nVidia drivers for games?

Had to downgrade to 10.6.3 because 10.6.4 caused Half-Life 2 to be slow as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mat try the combo update when I get home. I havent updated in the last year or so, after a major issue which locked my imac up and I had to do a full re-install.

Since then the software updates have failed. Even itunes updates wont work from the software update option.

Adox, I had a problem like this many moons ago, which I sorted by running software update in the terminal.
    man softwareupdate for info. on the options.

adox wrote: »
    Mat try the combo update when I get home. I havent updated in the last year or so, after a major issue which locked my imac up and I had to do a full re-install.

Since then the software updates have failed. Even itunes updates wont work from the software update option.

What happens exactly that Software Update fails?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Spotlight now has a dot in the magnifying glass symbol?

dock still quits unexpectadly.... when using spaces, nearly always still.

• Advertisement

muggyog wrote: »
    Adox, I had a problem like this many moons ago, which I sorted by running software update in the terminal.
    man softwareupdate for info. on the options.

Thanks for that. Im just home now so will have a look at it.:)

What happens exactly that Software Update fails?

On the last update that I tried, when the machine rebooted, it got stuck with a warning screen appearing in a few different languages. I had to reboot in safe mode(as far as I remember to get access at all and ended up having to do a full restore).

Since then Ive been afraid to try any OSX system update as it caused so much hassle that time. I`ve tried iTunes updates as they are smaller updates, but they didn't work either. As far as I can remember I just got a box up that said the update failed.

****Edit****** Murphys law, just tried the itunes update again and it worked!!

I may try the 10.6.5 combined update from the Apple page rather than the software update. i don't want the hassle of a full restore again. Im still on 10.6.2 so the update is over a GB.

The warning screen you saw was a kernel panic. It can indicate anything from a hardware problem to a serious system software problem.

Try the combo update, just make sure you verify the disk and repair permissions using Disk Utilty first. Might be a good idea to do this before all updates in future.

Downloaded the update and tried to install it. Got maybe 90% through the install and get a message:

The installation failed.

The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Anyone any ideas?:confused:

Was this the combo update?

Try verifying the hard disk and repairing permissions as I suggested above. See if it brings up any errors. You might have a hard disk problem that is stoping the installer from completing.

Was this the combo update?

Try verifying the hard disk and repairing permissions as I suggested above. See if it brings up any errors. You might have a hard disk problem that is stoping the installer from completing.

Yeah it was the combo update.
    I read your post about repair permissions after my last post.
    I verified disk permissions and repaired loads but noticed a load of SUID files that it said were altered and couldn't be repaired. I don't really know if this is normal or not. I may try to install the update again now after the permissions repair ands if it works.

Those SUID errors can usually be ignored. Have a look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Those SUID errors can usually be ignored. Have a look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Thanks for that. I checked my HD and there were errors on it. Tried to repair them from the install disk but it failed. Had to reboot but I'm back to a kernel panic again so am doing another erase and re-install.

When it's finished I'm going to try the update straight away before restoring my backed up volume to see if that works.

I hope my HD isn't dying. :(

Ah yes, I always manage to get the thread round to log checking!
    Open Console app. and look for install.log. This is where the record of what software update is doing. This should give you a clue whats going on.

While your in there ( console) check out your panic.log. This is a record of what is causing the warnings in many languages! I suspect you have more serious issues than updates!!

OOPs a bit late there. If you have started your erase you can still check the logs when you do your update. Logs, logs, logs, logs....ah I feel better now.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, doesn't sound good. Even if it works, make sure you keep checking/verifying the disk. In my experience when a hdd is failing a clean install or repair will sometimes appear to fix it, only for more errors to show up shortly after.

Is the SMART status okay? It rarely works though.

Your HD may be dying. One way of checking is firstly find the UNIX name of your drive. Open terminal and type df. You should get a list of volumes with codes like disk0s2 ( my startup drive ). Then open the system log ( not the logs again!) and in the top right window of console there is a search window. Type your disk0s2 ( or whatever its called ) and see if there is any instances in the log. If there are, your HD is about to expire.

Did the fresh install and am in the middle of downloading all available updates before restoring any files or volumes.

I'll see how it goes( if it works or not) and then have another look at it and try and follow your advice guys, in the last couple of posts.

Machines around five years old( 20 inch white iMac) so worst case scenario, at least I got a fairly decent run with it. Still, don't like the idea of shelling out €1500 plus for a new machine.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

Oh and apologies if I'm hijacking this thread a bit.

It sounds like it's just the hard drive. If so it's a cheap replacement. It's not unusual for updates to fail if they detect a hdd error.

It sounds like it's just the hard drive. If so it's a cheap replacement. It's not unusual for updates to fail if they detect a hdd error.

Yeah, was getting carried away with myself. Don't fancy installing a new hard drive myself if it comes to it so I'm thinking someone like Mactivate would be a good option? They're literally across the road from where I work, although I have never used them

Still installing updates btw. :)

Ok update worked after the clean install. Checked the disk again and no errors this time.

I'm going to pick and choose what files to restore(music, photos, documents etc) as my HD was bloated with a lot of stuff I didn't need. Will keep an eye on the disk and see if it starts playing up again.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Something to be aware of if you use PGP Whole Disk Encryption: This update will lock you out of your current install. I believe its fixable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Spotlight now has a dot in the magnifying glass symbol?

Saw that too, I think it only appears when indexing. Handy too, as it can munch up a fair slice of CPU and disk IO.

cornbb wrote: »
    Saw that too, I think it only appears when indexing. Handy too, as it can munch up a fair slice of CPU and disk IO.

Ah good spot - its gone now, that may have always happened when indexing I don't know.

Only thing I notice is Safari gives me no spinning beachball on startup which it always did before.

Ah good spot - its gone now, that may have always happened when indexing I don't know.
    it always did this.
    Only thing I notice is Safari gives me no spinning beachball on startup which it always did before.
    Safari is unpredictable. It was completely unresponsive for me for 5 minutes after the update.

I wish websites would just use code that works on every major browser.

Sometimes I have to use Safari instead of Chrome because it wont work and then sometimes I even have to use Firefox because neither of the other two will work right, just very annoying.

Nothing got to do with this update, but yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I know it's not the same update, but I've had a problem since I updated to 10.6.6 today, and I didn't want to start another thread. After I updated from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 as well as iTunes, I've had no sound!

Can anyone assist me in sorting this? Is this a common problem?

Thank you

Audio problems in iTunes just might be associated with Quicktime. Check that QuickTime is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

It's not just in iTunes, it's anywhere. No chime, no wrong key alerts, nothing anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

DamoRed wrote: »
    It's not just in iTunes, it's anywhere. No chime, no wrong key alerts, nothing anywhere.

OK, and you've done the obvious? System Preferences - Audio out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

DamoRed wrote: »
    I know it's not the same update, but I've had a problem since I updated to 10.6.6 today, and I didn't want to start another thread.
    Why not start a new thread? This thread has '10.6.5' in the title - what possible justification have you for resurrecting it after two months dormancy to seek a solution for a problem you're having with 10.6.6?

Recycling is one thing but this is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

coylemj wrote: »
    Why not start a new thread? This thread has '10.6.5' in the title - what possible justification have you for resurrecting it after two months dormancy to seek a solution for a problem you're having with 10.6.6?

Recycling is one thing but this is ridiculous.

watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Great, much needed update.

Speaking of which, I've got nothing but problems when upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6 using the cheaper Snow Leopard update. It all works fine, but then I end up with seriously annoying issues.

Anyone got this? Any way of avoiding/resolving this?

Advertisement