Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewdog punk IPA

• 10-11-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I am new to beer drinking, and after having a root around some of the posts on this board started to explore.

Tried most of the known super powers of beer, miller, corona, heineken, budweiser, guinness, smithwicks, murphy's blah blah blah.

Moved onto hobgoblin, bishop's finger and old speckled hen.

Brewdog sounded good but when I tried their trashy blond and punk IPA they both left a taste of cardboard on the back of my tongue, really unpleasant. I enjoyed hobgoblin as there was no nasty aftertaste, how is punk lauded and tastes rotten? Subjective? Is it just my untrained palate?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I can find the BrewDog beers a bit harshly bitter. For a more gentle introduction to the joy of hops, try some of the American pale ales like Goose Island IPA or Speakeasy Prohibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

BeerNut wrote: »
    I can find the BrewDog beers a bit harshly bitter. For a more gentle introduction to the joy of hops, try some of the American pale ales like Goose Island IPA or Speakeasy Prohibition.

OK thanks for that, so hobgoblin is a ruby lager?? And they are mainly APAs? The more I think about it ...quite enjoyed hobgoblin

dazey wrote: »
    OK thanks for that, so hobgoblin is a ruby lager?
    No, it's an ale. Look out for Clotworthy Dobbin and Bateman's Dark Lord: they're along similar lines.
    dazey wrote: »
    And they are mainly APAs?
    I think the codified style guidelines draw a distinction between American Pale Ale (eg Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) and American India Pale Ale (eg Goose Island IPA), and there may even be Amber Ale (Prohibition) in between. It's best not to worry about classifications, I find. It can get silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Man I love Brewdog Punk IPA, but then I brew my own so maybe I am used to copious amount of bittering & finishing hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

I am currently loving 5AM Saint and Zeitgeist from the Brewdog range.

Both are absolutley gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

TheWarrior wrote: »
    Man I love Brewdog Punk IPA, but then I brew my own so maybe I am used to copious amount of bittering & finishing hops.

Love it too. Also, Hop Head if I want a plae ale that is less bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I found the Punk IPA to be a bit wild and has a bite but love the 3am Saint to be honest.

Also enjoyed the Zeitgeist from what I recall. Must start making notes of all these beers I am tasting !

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Punk IPA is a beaut!! Love their 77 Lager aswell although for 330ml it can be a bit expensive unless on offer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

I see they have a new Punk IPA on trial now.
    http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=403
    Gimmick or genuine I wonder?

Genuine, I'd say. They re-jigged Hardcore a while back and The Physics became 5am Saint, so now they're doing the same to Punk. The new recipe looks much more like something a mature brewery would do. Why wouldn't you dry hop your IPA once you know how to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just on the price point for BrewDog: Agreed they can be pricey. O'Briens in Beacon South Quarter were doing a 3 for 2 offer a few weeks ago which led to me splashing out on a fair few 77 Lager and 5AM Saint. Maybe they'll repeat it in future.

At the moment the off-licence next to the SPAR that's just off the Ballycullen Road in Firhouse is offering a deal on a selection of BrewDog, comparable to the above in value. The stronger offerings (Tokyo Stout etc.) aren't included.

Incidentally that same off-licence doing deals on a fair few things on stuff from Sharp's, Bateman's, Breconshire Brewery etc. (Not sure if giving this kind of heads up is allowed on the forum or not - apologies if it comes across as shilling, I've got no affiliation with them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Genuine, I'd say. They re-jigged Hardcore a while back

and there was me thinking that the improvement in the Hardcore was my imagination. I think their beers are improving, generally. Felt that they were maybe released a bit too fresh a couple of years ago.
    At the moment the off-licence next to the SPAR that's just off the Ballycullen Road in Firhouse is offering a deal on a selection of BrewDog, comparable to the above in value. The stronger offerings (Tokyo Stout etc.) aren't included.

Incidentally that same off-licence doing deals on a fair few things on stuff from Sharp's, Bateman's, Breconshire Brewery etc. (Not sure if giving this kind of heads up is allowed on the forum or not - apologies if it comes across as shilling, I've got no affiliation with them).

That kind of heads up is positively encouraged:D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

JnarF wrote: »
    I see they have a new Punk IPA on trial now.
    http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=403
    Gimmick or genuine I wonder?

Sounds good but I kinda like the harsh bitterness the current Punk has!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Can't say i like any of the Brewdog range, too much alcohol and not enough hoppyness.

Have you tried 5am Saint? It's pretty smooth.

Have you tried 5am Saint? It's pretty smooth.

No. Would it be available in Abbotts?

I'd say so. Bierhaus definitely has it.

I'd say so. Bierhaus definitely has it.
    Hmmm, i shall seek out this beer and get back to you. Since it is Brewdog i am not expecting my response to be a favourable one.

grenache wrote: »
    Since it is Brewdog i am not expecting my response to be a favourable one.
    Keep yourself honest: get a bottle of 5am Saint, a bottle of Speakeasy Prohibition and a bottle of Anchor Liberty. Set them up blind see if you can tell which one is BrewDog :D

Advertisement