Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage - to fix or not to fix?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello all,

I have been offered the following rates to fix my mortgage interest rates - 4.15% (2 Years), 4.25% (3 years), 4.80% (5 years) - would welcome any advice on what to do - Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hard one. We are discussing a gamble here.

If your options are variable versus fixed I would nearly take the 5 year fix. Irish banks are completely shot and are steadily jacking variable rates up. With a fix you are out of the firing line for 5 years no matter what happens to the banks.

If your options are tracker versus fixed the tracker will be lower than the fixed rate for most of the 5 years in my opinion. The ECB cannot easily raise the base rate which is the reference rate for the tracker given the state of the EU and World economy.

So I would take a tracker over a fix over a variable ...in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions as this is not a Consumer Issue

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hard one. We are discussing a gamble here.

If your options are variable versus fixed I would nearly take the 5 year fix. Irish banks are completely shot and are steadily jacking variable rates up. With a fix you are out of the firing line for 5 years no matter what happens to the banks.

If your options are tracker versus fixed the tracker will be lower than the fixed rate for most of the 5 years in my opinion. The ECB cannot easily raise the base rate which is the reference rate for the tracker given the state of the EU and World economy.

So I would take a tracker over a fix over a variable ...in that order.
    I thought tracker mortgages are no longer available?

I have a fixed rate on mortgage taken out this year (first time buyer)
    The rates are on the up and look set to keep rising for a long time
    A fixed rate will provide you with stability and I'd recommend at least the 3yr if not the 5yr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Yeah - plug was pulled on trackers a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

While new trackers may not currently be available, OP could be currently on a tracker and having a look at cost of fixing.
    OP, banks will always look to add their own % to the ECB rate, whether thats for variable, or even for fixed (they estimate where ECB rate will be in 5 years and then add their %).
    If you're on a tracker, I'd be sticking with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement