Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gear for the rear

• 10-11-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,

Thanks to the bike to work scheme I'm now the proud owner of a Cube Peloton road bike. Last week I took it out for a spin of about 20k and enjoyed it despite the desperate panting and wheezing.

The problem is that the next day and for several days after I was barely able to walk with the pain in the saddle area.

I didn't have proper shorts/gear etc, so my question is: should I be worried? With decent shorts, and a bit of practice will it get easier or should I be looking at a better saddle as well?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Buy padded cycling shorts & wear nothing under or over them.
    Go for a few more spins on the bike & your rear should become use to sitting on a saddle.
    If it still hurts consider getting a new saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 McG1978

Buy padded cycling shorts & wear nothing under or over them.
    Go for a few more spins on the bike & your rear should become use to sitting on a saddle.
    If it still hurts consider getting a new saddle.

Thanks for the reply... Any particular brands I should look out for?

Also, any other advice for gear or tips for a complete beginner is welcome.

I do intend to get involved with a club but for now I'd like to build up a basic level of fitness first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Get proper shorts. Make sure they're not saggy and don't move around. Sexy funboy tight is what you're looking for.

Also don't wear cotton jerseys as cotton holds on to your sweat and you get cold quickly (especially round this time of year).

If you are wearing regular underpants and football shorts they both have a seam up the middle which will chafe your under carriage. They will both be relatively loose and moving about which adds to the chafing. Cycling gear does not have seams up the middle.

If that doesn't work, consider another saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

McG1978 wrote: »
    Any particular brands I should look out for?

Depends how much you're willing to spend really.
    The dhb brand seems to offer good bang for your buck.
    I have a pair of dhb Finchdean shorts which are really good.
    If you're looking for something more affordable maybe the Pace Roubaix. I've ordered the Pace Roubaix tights but haven't received them yet so cant comment on quality yet but they get good reviews.
    You may want to consider tights instead of shorts for this time of year also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

also make sure your not too upright its a balancing act between arse and hands, a lot of new fangled bikes have very upright riding positions which puts more weight on your arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Was it chaffing or tenderness OP?

Some advice: try not to 'sit' on the saddle. When you're pedalling try to maintain enough force on the pedals so that your legs are taking a lot of your weight (and lean forward onto the handlebars too). Obviously as your legs get tired this becomes more difficult, but your legs will get stronger. Also, when you're free-wheeling stand up on the pedals a little bit, knees bent.

If it helps, think of horse riding, splitting the weight between saddle and stirrups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 McG1978

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Was it chaffing or tenderness OP?

A little of both.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Some advice: try not to 'sit' on the saddle. When you're pedalling try to maintain enough force on the pedals so that your legs are taking a lot of your weight (and lean forward onto the handlebars too). Obviously as your legs get tired this becomes more difficult, but your legs will get stronger. Also, when you're free-wheeling stand up on the pedals a little bit, knees bent.

If it helps, think of horse riding, splitting the weight between saddle and stirrups.

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this whole game but it seems to me like the bike has me leaning forward a fair bit so I don't think it's too upright. But I'll definitely bear the whole weight distribution in mind the next time I take it for a spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Santini is a good brand imo.

Advertisement