Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me decide on a graphics card... :D

Options
  • 10-11-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭

PALIT GeForce GTX 460 Sonic - 1 GB - 170euro

or

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6850 - 1 GB - 174euro

looking to put in my order on pixmania tonight and just dont know which to pick :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The latter, unless you're talking about the Sonic Platinum (which is probably over €200 on Pix) or you have a major need for CUDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

is it okay for me to link to the product page on here? it says sonic in the title for the 460 so i assumed it was the sonic platinum

Fire ahead, the Sonic is a slightly OCd model, the Platinum is usually a lot pricier :o

ok its here

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6533108/art/palit/geforce-gtx-460-sonic-1-g.html#tech-specs

just saw it at the last minute before ordering and figured as there was a discount it might have been the pricier model

it isnt thugh as ive now found that one

sould you consider this

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/7608685/art/gigabyte/radeon-hd-6850-1-gb-gddr5.html

worth the extra over this

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/7594804/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-6850-1-gb-gddr5.html

considering i have a discount code for 15 or so quid off anyway?

• Advertisement

That's pretty cheap for a HD6850 actually, HWVS aren't much lower! :D

The Gigabyte has the better cooler and would thus run cooler and less noisily... in theory anyway. Not sure if its worth another €14 though, up to you whether you need the extra cooling.

yeah noise is gonna be a significant factor for me. i was tempted toward the 460 as it apparently passes sound along with video through the hdmi, not sure the ati cards do that. bloody annoyingly confusing finding possible alternatives at the last minute! :D

Actually its the other way around... not sure about the GTX460 but almost all nVidia cards need a pass-through cable (which usually requires a multimedia-oriented mobo or a discrete sound card) whereas all AMD cards have onboard sound for HDMI :D

ok nice one ive ordered the gigabyte 6850 now anyway.

Just checked, GTX460 also has sound over HDMI now but there's been lots of complaints about driver issues with the new onboard sound :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement