Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

touring plans

• 10-11-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

for the touring heads, have you anything planned for next year.
    credit card,
    fully loaded /camping.
    extended touring.
    weekend tours.
    staying home.
    going abroad
    wales
    england

i hope to get back over to england for a fellclub meet ,but if not i would like to see a bit of my own country ,oh if only we got good weather:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm thinking of France, over to the Lyon area, camping. Def going to hit north Clare and south Galway in the spring and fingers crossed Donegal at some stage.
    2011 is either going to be very busy or very quiet for me so I wont know what kind of time I have to play with for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Planning to cycle from Paris to Poznan(Poland) in mid April. This might take about 10 days i think. Except that usual weekend trips around Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I'm hoping to do some weekend credit card touring, centering around Munich. I don't know what kind of time I'll have for a long spin, but I hope to do some sort of ~1000 km trip at some point. Need to get a lot of distance in the legs before that, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

sounds good everyone,i would like to see Clare myself never been .are campsites fairly plentyful in that part of the world, im not into wild camping like to have a nice hot shower at the end of the day's cycling.
    anyone know of a good route to take from drogheda to the west and back say over a week.
    not that i'm to lazy to plot a route but :rolleyes: if someone done something similar well there info would be great ,thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

At the moment, I trying to figure out a way of taking my kids (12 and 14) on a cycle tour that will be fun for all. Obviously, no great mileage. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

serendip wrote: »
    At the moment, I trying to figure out a way of taking my kids (12 and 14) on a cycle tour that will be fun for all. Obviously, no great mileage. Any suggestions?
    my self and a friend done a short two day tour of lough erne last summer.
    we camped at castle archdale hugh campsite with loads of water sports going on would they fancy something like that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Back in my day it would have been An Oige youth hostels. They would have been spaced walking distance apart so there should be easy cycle touring options to be had there...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Planning to cycle from Cherboug to Béziers in the south of France next September over 7-8 days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Roscoff to Geneva via Chamonix July 2nd to about 17th. Taking in two sprints in the TdF at Mur de Bretagne and Chateauroux. Anyone wants to join in PM me.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

With a bit of luck, I'll be doing some weekend touring in New England this summer...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Irish Ferries schedule & prices out for 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I did about 20% better using Celtic Link Ferries to France last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

With a bit of luck, I'll be doing some weekend touring in New England this summer...

Meh, New England is totally over rated....
    Jealous

That would be a beautiful destination for sure, I'd cycle there to see the forests in Autum....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0i5V-ITAPa0vtirbiZWn5_7Nz6A9UsHfb31B2PCFs_ErvUyH6yA

the rivers....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv1aCqWva9TRGvBr9y1iF-6XQbgPlGP8wdHs6tPH1KYB8yGwhJ

And the *ahem* football:o

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmS6txFWa4_Lrhl6CQrJlgA_mBTKT30gA5eUwUCdKzRVJ7bohhvA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Reporting post, image is far too small! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

On April 30th get made redundant so cycling home from London to Kerry then a month back home then ferry to France down through Europe to Africa, around there in an anti clockwise direction as is safe to do so then middle East (do you capitalise the m?) and then to towards Thailand.

I think it might take a while and I've never done anything like this before. Taking bets on how far I get.

Still fancy cycling down to Rosslare, hopping on the ferry and cycling down Redon for the finish of;
    Sailing from Rosslare on June 30th or July 2nd.

STAGE 3, Monday July 4th.
    Roscoff to Redon, 213km.

STAGE 4, Tuesday 5th. July. Cycle to Mur de Bretagne finish. Redon to Mur de Bretagne 106km.

STAGE 5, Wednesday 6th. July. Cycle Mur de Bretagne to Cap Frehel 80km.

Cap Frehel back to Roscoff, 156km.

Cycle camping all the way.

Roscoff to Rosslare sailing on 7th or 9th. July.

Just emailed Irish Ferries, Bicycle passenger costs the same price as a foot passenger plus €10 each way for extras.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hi Planet X, I think I'm changin my plans and am going to sail on the Monday and see the TdF passing on the stage to Cap Frehel but still get the sprint in Châteauroux. Yes, it's only €10 for bicycles and I also notice you don't need to get a cabin this year, I really didn't want to pay the price of a cabin last year which somewhat turned me off sailing directly to France. Anyway, I'll cheer you on as you pass on the road to Cap Frehel :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

On April 30th get made redundant so cycling home from London to Kerry then a month back home then ferry to France down through Europe to Africa, around there in an anti clockwise direction as is safe to do so then middle East (do you capitalise the m?) and then to towards Thailand.

I think it might take a while and I've never done anything like this before. Taking bets on how far I get.

On a bicycle?! If you're thinking about cutting across North Africa, be aware that the border between Morocco and Algeria is frequently closed - and enforced with landmines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

On a bicycle?! If you're thinking about cutting across North Africa, be aware that the border between Morocco and Algeria is frequently closed - and enforced with landmines!

Yup on either a Thorn Sherpa or Raven, undecided still if the rohloff hub is worth the extra cash at this point.

Yeah I'll be going anti clockwise so Algeria shouldn't be an issue. The 'problem' spots will be getting past Angola/DRC/CAR section (I'm currently following a woman doing it solo and she's most of the way through DRC safely atm so that puts my mind at rest somewhat for that section) and I'm not entirely sure about the Sudan to Egypt bit either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Yup on either a Thorn Sherpa or Raven, undecided still if the rohloff hub is worth the extra cash at this point.

Yeah I'll be going anti clockwise so Algeria shouldn't be an issue. The 'problem' spots will be getting past Angola/DRC/CAR section (I'm currently following a woman doing it solo and she's most of the way through DRC safely atm so that puts my mind at rest somewhat for that section) and I'm not entirely sure about the Sudan to Egypt bit either.

Well, as someone who's owned a bike with hub gear and has been down West Africa, I'd tell you to get the damn gear. There's no way I'd consider it on a derailleur - given how much dust and sand there is you'll be clogged every few hours.

I wouldn't worry about West DRC, along the coast it's supposed to be pretty safe. Based on last year's information, it's Gabon and the area around Point Noire that I'd be worried about. I believe Sudan is OK on regular transport, not so sure about on a bike though!

Feel free to PM is you have further questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 landel

Planning a weekend trip or two in Ireland. Would love to head over to France for a longer trip. This thread is planting some seeds :)

Advertisement