Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with fridge - can't contact landlord

Options
  • 10-11-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a quick(ish) question. I'm happily living in my rented apartment. However, my fridge hasn't been working properly for a while, and now has stopped altogether and has been out of action for a week and a half!!

I never met the landlord - I got the place through an agent. I have the number of the landlord's brother who I got in contact with before when I had problems with the water - however, he's not answering any calls now.

I spoke with the estate agent who tried to contact the landlord and his brother, but no answer.

At this stage it's getting desperate. I need a fridge!

The estate agent has told me that it's not one of his properties - he helped rent it, but he has nothing to do with it now. I got my landlord's email from the agent and have emailed, but, of course, no answer.

So, what can I do? I really don't want to move out because I love the place and it suits me down to the ground at the moment. But, I can't not have a fridge.

I don't think I'm within my rights to withhold rent, and I'm still hoping this can be solved without getting into that messing.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would be of the opinion that if you cannot contact the landlord then you chase the agent. They might say its not one of their properties but they are the ones who rented it to you in the beginning so its up to them to at least put you in touch with the landlord. Keep at them; enough constant calls a few times a day and Im sure theyll get in touch with the landlord soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You have no contact details at all for the landlord other than an email address you got from a letting agent? What address is on the lease? No contact details on the PTRB forms? Go here to see if your property is registered. If it is contact the PRTB and explain the situation to them and ask them for advice and to pass on your details to the landlord asap.

Contact Threshold as well and see what they say. You are legally supposed to have the landlord's name and address and his agent's details on your lease/rent book.

If the agent helped rent it, and you signed a lease through them, then
    a) make sure you got a copy of the lease and check there for contact details OR
    b) if you didn't get a copy of the lease tell the agent to sort it out immediately, and get off their ass and stop messing around with email addresses.

Very short term - it's pretty cold out there, so run the cold tap till it's as cold as it gets, fill a basin with the cold water and keep things like milk in there. Other things can go in the basin in sandwich bags. Put it in the coldest room in the house during the day while you're out. Take the opportunity to introduce yourself to the neighbours and ask if they could help you out in some way - making ice (to put in the basin) or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Who_owns_this?

Quick responses!!

Ok - my problem with chasing the estate agent is that he is telling me he was hired to rent out the apartment. Anything further he does (i.e. give me the owner's email address) is purely altruistic in his view, and he keeps reiterating that, if he had had been hired to manage the apartment, he would do something. But, as things stand, he is powerless.

I have the lease I signed originally, but that has out of date details for the owner.

Thoie - thank you so much for your suggestions. It's scary what you have to resort to anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Who_owns_this?

P.S. - Thoie - looks like my place is registered.

Thank you very much - you have been so helpful!

The agent may feel he has no responsibility to you, and that may well be the case, but by the sounds of it they have more up to date contact details for the landlord than you have, so badger them enough and they will more than likely help you just to stop you annoying them. It might not be the most professional advise youll get but its the route Id be taking.

Im also very much of the opinion that if you cant get hold of a landlord to fix a problem after a reasonable amount of effort in trying to contact them then cancel the standing order for the rent and theyll soon be in touch with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Definetly search to see if your address is on PRTB webiste, if so contact them. They should have a proper address and contact number for him.

I'd also send an email to the address you have and tell him you are going to go and buy a fridge at the weekend if he doesnt get back to you.

That might get a reply. And if it doesnt you might have to do buy a fridge. Keep the receipt and dont pay any rent back til the fridge has been paid for. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd also send an email to the address you have and tell him you are going to go and buy a fridge at the weekend if he doesnt get back to you.

Agreed. You should be able to buy a fridge for about €100-200. You could even buy a mini-fridge that you could keep as your own.

http://www.did.ie/category/Fridges/434

I dont see how emailing the landlord telling them you are going to buy a fridge is going to make them any more likely to help to be honest; surely they would just consider the matter closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

djimi wrote: »
    I dont see how emailing the landlord telling them you are going to buy a fridge is going to make them any more likely to help to be honest; surely they would just consider the matter closed.

Yes, the matter is closed quickly and with no cost to you, as you dont pay rent til cost of fridge has been covered. But you've told the landlord so if he starts asking where the rent is you have the email and the receipt. The OP could be waiting weeks with out a fridge otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

You have made a reasonable effort to contact the LL
    I would buy a fridge and take the cost out of the rent, keep the receipt with the address of the property on it.
    It would be unusual but so is not being able to contact someone resonsible for that length of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement