Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone dumb this down for me?

• 11-11-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

'The first step is to give your PS3 a static Ip address. All the info you need to do so should be found on your computer by running command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all". Enter the DNS server and all the other info from there it asks for, :confused: but then pick the IP address yourself, make sure it is in range of what your router is set to, I went with 192.168.1.105, unless you have more than 4 computers that number would be fine.'

I can understand the part after the confused face but the stuff before is a foreign language to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

'The first step is to give your PS3 a static Ip address.
    Go into the network options in the PS3 and use manual settings... this means putting your own numbers in.
    All the info you need to do so should be found on your computer by running command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all". Enter the DNS server and all the other info from there it asks for
    We need to give the PS3 some numbers. Numbers that it usually asks the router for, but in this case we want to tell it what to use.
    A handy way to find the right numbers to use is to refer to the ones the PC uses.
    Your task is to connect your ps3 to your router, since your PC is already connected and knows the settings, let's ask it.
    Open the command prompt.
    Hit 'Start' > 'Run' and type 'cmd' ... (that's XP anyway, not sure if it's still that)
    In the new window that opens, entering 'ipconfig /all' will spit out a few lines that contain the settings you want.
    Actually I'd recommend just using 'ipconfig' without the '/all', which should just list the minimum amount you need.

For the DNS number, you can use the "Default Gateway" IP.
    Subnet mask copies over exactly.
    The only thing you need to make different for the PS3 is the IP address, and you only change the last group of digits of that.
    Say your PC lists its IP address as 192.168.1.2 ... for the PS3's IP address, you just change the last .2 to a .3 or any unused number between 1 and 254.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Go into the network options in the PS3 and use manual settings... this means putting your own numbers in.

We need to give the PS3 some numbers. Numbers that it usually asks the router for, but in this case we want to tell it what to use.
    A handy way to find the right numbers to use is to refer to the ones the PC uses.
    Your task is to connect your ps3 to your router, since your PC is already connected and knows the settings, let's ask it.
    Open the command prompt.
    Hit 'Start' > 'Run' and type 'cmd' ... (that's XP anyway, not sure if it's still that)
    In the new window that opens, entering 'ipconfig /all' will spit out a few lines that contain the settings you want.
    Actually I'd recommend just using 'ipconfig' without the '/all', which should just list the minimum amount you need.

For the DNS number, you can use the "Default Gateway" IP.
    Subnet mask copies over exactly.
    The only thing you need to make different for the PS3 is the IP address, and you only change the last group of digits of that.
    Say your PC lists its IP address as 192.168.1.2 ... for the PS3's IP address, you just change the last .2 to a .3 or any unused number between 1 and 254.

Thanks very much for that. I understand everything except the bold above.

Is it another way of saying skynet has become self-aware? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it means copy the number from the gateway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

When you type ipconfig and get back the list of stuff, one of the items in the list is 'subnet mask'. It will almost certainly be 255.255.255.0.
    Enter the same numbers for 'subnet mask' when configuring your PS3.

Also, in the post above he said to give your PS3 an IP of 192.168.1.3 or .4 if your PC is .2; that's a bad idea. If your PC is 192.168.1.2, give the PS3 an IP of 192.168.1.253 or .252, something close to 253 but not over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Razzuh wrote: »
    Also, in the post above he said to give your PS3 an IP of 192.168.1.3 or .4 if your PC is .2; that's a bad idea. If your PC is 192.168.1.2, give the PS3 an IP of 192.168.1.254 or .253, something close to 254 but not over.

Hi Razzuh, Just wondering, why the high value? I never use IPs above x.x.x.20
    Is it a security feature or is it just to make it obvious that the Ps3 is not a PC or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

eirman wrote: »
    Hi Razzuh, Just wondering, why the high value? I never use IPs above x.x.x.20
    Is it a security feature or is it just to make it obvious that the Ps3 is not a PC or what?

Home routers have a DHCP server. This is software that assigns an IP address to PCs and other network devices on the home network. By default these servers are usually configured to assign addresses in the range xxx.xxx.xxx.1 to xxx.xxx.xxx.253. The IP address of the router itself is usually .254 (Imade a mistake mentioning .254 above); .0 and .255 are reserved. Any device that is configured to 'obtain IP automatically' will request an IP from the router and be assigned one in the above range.

When you set a static or fixed IP to a device, the router dosen't know not to assign it automatically to another device when it requests one. So if you assign a static IP in the range mentioned above then two devices might end up having the same IP (one using a static IP and one that was assigned the very same IP by the DHCP server in the router). In this case neither device will have network access until one of them has a different IP (this is an IP address conflict). Therefore, if you are assigning static IP addresses to devices you should reduce the range used by the DHCP server (for example to .1 to .240) and then use the remaining addresses as the static addresses (.241 to .253). That way you'll never have a conflict.

In reality, there will probably never be enough network devices using his home network to use up all the addresses up to .253, because DHCP addresses expire after a while and any time the router is restarted it will begin assigning IPs from .1 again. That's why I said to just use a high number instead of explaining how to reduce the range of IPs used by the DHCP server.

Phew! I need a nap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks for that explanation Razzuh ... it makes complete sense.
    I always turn off DHCP and use static IPs so it's never an issue really.

Advertisement