Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Direct Jokers

• 11-11-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I just got my renewal quote from Quinn Direct yesterday and still cant believe the change in the price. It went from 507euro last year for fully comp to... wait for it....... 920euro this year!! Nothing has changed, no claims, no points, same car, nothing!! Have 9yrs no claims bonus in my own name.

I rang them up and asked why the 82% increase from last year and some idiot told me that prices have risen right across the board. Fair enough, an increase of maybe 10% even 20% to help get them out of Administration but not 82%!! Are they having a laugh or what... 3 other companies quoted from 530 to 570, so screw them.. I hope they do go bust now for that! Serves them right!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Yep with them a few years and got screwed when I changed cars during this years policy. Few hundred quid difference on the internet with exact same credentials.Changed from Powerfull sports car to small family car barely any difference. Dont worry this is just more of the greed and backwardness thats brought this country to where it is now. Its all comming to an end very soon. As a man that has lived abroad in several countries for most of my life I have never saw such sh**e as is attached to insuring a car or Bike in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hmmmmm ...... so it wasn't just me then. Quinn hiked my car ins premium last month by 25% and when I told 'em (truthfully) that I'd got a quote from FBD for for about 40% less, I was told, "We don't match other insurer's quotes." As you say, screw 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

I think a lot of insurance companies do this, not just Quinn. I usually make a few calls to other insurance companies and find that you can get better value shopping around. It might take a few hours, but it's definitely worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was with them for 9 years - no claims, no hassle - until they went into administration.
    My renewal quote was in May - around the time the sh*t hit the fan for them. I got cheaper quotes from a few other insurers but they wouldn't match them so I went online rather than dealing with them over the phone and got a cheaper quote with a discount for having house insurance with them as well.

I went on hols for 2 weeks - when I came back they had sent 5 correspondences regarding my online quote - saying firstly that it was incorrect (even though I paid for it in full) and that I hadn't shown them proof of my no claims bonus - even though I was with them for 9 years (albeit speaking directly to them rather than online). They literally doubled the quote and told me if payment wasn't received by xxdate then my policy would be null and void.

I rang up and got nowhere with them until a supervisor rang me back - (I swear he must have worked for Ryanair in a previous life) He managed to pull my 9 years claim free driving up on the system but the quote was still over €100 more than originally quoted online and what I had paid for. I said I didn't want to keep it - I'll go to a different insurer.

No problem - except for the "administration fee" which was almost the €100 that I was arguing over. I ranted at him for a while but in the end I left the policy with them. It would have cost me more to get out of it than stay in it -but I was left with a very sour taste in my mouth, particularly after having 9yrs hassle free cover. No loyalty whatsover to keeping customers since the administration took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I got them to quote for my shop and company van.

They had to beat €3900.

They came back at five grand, with the van extra !!!!!

FBD got it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Not a rip off. Its what we call a "free economy".

Shop around, never accept the first quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Not a rip off. Its what we call a "free economy".

Shop around, never accept the first quote.

In fairness the administration fee they wanted to charge me was a rip off.
    They are sneakily introducing all these fees since administration to try and get the cash flow going.

I was talking to a guy recently and his daughter needed insurance on a provisional licence and was due to sit her test - quinn gave immediate cover which she needed but wouldn't give a rebate on the premium when she passed her test with the full licence. She had asked the question when getting the quote - would she be rebated with a full licence quote if she passed and was told yes - this didn't happen - she tried to get out of the policy and same thing again - the administration fee was huge.

Go back 8 yrs and I remember getting my rebate on my policy when I got my full licence - the refund was made to my card within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

jetch wrote: »
    I just got my renewal quote from Quinn Direct yesterday and still cant believe the change in the price. It went from 507euro last year for fully comp to... wait for it....... 920euro this year!! Nothing has changed, no claims, no points, same car, nothing!! Have 9yrs no claims bonus in my own name.

Nothing changed on your side, but others in same age / profile as you may have had more claims and therefore the insurance for everyone in the bracket increases.

According to the adinistrators of quinn, some insurance was operated at a loss and this was one of the things they were changing.

Best to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

I just renewed mine today , full no claims, Up from 480 to 540 euro , third party fire and theft only. Told them I got a qute for 360 with 123.ie.

Lady said she would get manager to phone me back.

He did the next day, told me he would do it for 390.27 plus free no claims bonus cover.

So I took it . Just haggle, thats my advice anyhow.

That was on a 97 c220 cdi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I've been with them since I started driving and never had any problems with them. they were by far the cheapest when I started out.

Got my renewal letter in March and it was €100 more than what I had paid the previous year, same car, infact exactly the same details as year before except I had an extra years no claims bonus, I have a full clean license with 5yrs no claims bonus but when I rang they said insurance has just gone up

I asked them to at least throw in windscreen cover or something but the customer service rep was very stubborn and adamant that she couldn't do anything about it

I stayed with them purely for convenience:o but if I don't get a good quote this march I'm gone.

Also my OH got quoted for around €400 TPF&T, more than his previous years premium too but he said he'd just get it anyway. when letter arrived the quote was €800! he rang and was told oh we thought you wanted fully comp even though there was nothing about that on quote:rolleyes:

Sad to read all the complaints, they used to be such a great company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

The very same happened to me regarding the increase in quote for this year. Like the original poster, nothing at all has changed in the last year, no claims, no change of car, no penalty points, etc...

Shopped around and got a quote of about €800 cheaper than the original quote sent to me. Obviously I rang Quinn and told them the story, they wouldnt match the quote or even come close to it, so I asked them to send me out a Letter of Experience for my time spent with them so I could move onto another company... and guess what!!! They're refusing point blankly to send out any letter of experience to me. This will not be the last they've heard from me. I've never had any trouble with Quinn before nor have I ever caused them any trouble, I also have my health insurance with them and I'm seriously considering pulling that too and moving elsewhere. They've been making a fortune out of me and this is how I get treated?

Has anyone had a problem like this before? and if so, what course of action did you take? I need to get that letter of experience to set up my new policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

CarlosK wrote: »
    The very same happened to me regarding the increase in quote for this year. Like the original poster, nothing at all has changed in the last year, no claims, no change of car, no penalty points, etc...

Shopped around and got a quote of about €800 cheaper than the original quote sent to me. Obviously I rang Quinn and told them the story, they wouldnt match the quote or even come close to it, so I asked them to send me out a Letter of Experience for my time spent with them so I could move onto another company... and guess what!!! They're refusing point blankly to send out any letter of experience to me. This will not be the last they've heard from me. I've never had any trouble with Quinn before nor have I ever caused them any trouble, I also have my health insurance with them and I'm seriously considering pulling that too and moving elsewhere. They've been making a fortune out of me and this is how I get treated?

Has anyone had a problem like this before? and if so, what course of action did you take? I need to get that letter of experience to set up my new policy.
    are they not legally obliged to provide you with notification of your no claims/experience etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Seems since the government got involved Quinn are gone to the dogs, im not looking forward to my renewal in april so....typical irish crap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I hate to say Quinn Direct are driving away customers, because if they keep quoting like this they will be history.
    And we - the customers - will lose in the long run.

More insurance comanies means more cometition between them and so better value quotes from them. Less comanies is a return to the bad old days of no competition for insurance in Ireland.

I was with Carole Nash for 8 years on Third Party on my motorbikes. No claims, no crashes and no points on my license.
    Last year they increased my policy by 150 euro.
    I phoned them up and asked why was my policy going up when I was a safer and got the usual ... "all insurance prices are going up".
    Fine, left them and got a fully-comprehenive policy with Adelaide Insurance in Belfast a lot cheaper. Vote with your wallet ... but bear in mind less insurance companies means higher prices for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

There's been an increase in insurance companies recently enough.

I know 123, NoNonsense and First Ireland are getting most of the under 25 drivers. Tesco do insurance now, great quotes so long as you have 2 years no claims.

I got my first insurance with Quinn last year, 20 year old, no driving history and was quoted 2100 euro. My renewal quote this year was 2500, so i left and got a 1300 quote from NoNonsense.

Advertisement