Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can worn rings cause chain lengthening?

• 11-11-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Well as the title says really. I know that a worn/lengthened chain can cause your cassette and rings to wear out, but can worn rings cause your chain to lengthen?

Personally I would have thought that as long as the rings and chain aren't skipping under load then worn rings shouldn't decrease the life of the chain but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

No, it causes skipping, the chain to hop in and out of the cogs of the cassette under pressure. I guess each skip decreases the chain life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Apart from the skipping I believe it does also accelerate the chain wear, yes, until the new chain pitch matches your worn rings. Sheldon agrees:
    A new chain on a worn sprocket. Most of the driving is happening on the left side, where the chain first engages the sprocket. Due to the mismatch in pitch, the rollers in the part of the chain that is about to leave the sprocket is doing very little to push their teeth forward, instead, they are being forced upward by the slope of the teeth.

Since the teeth/rollers on our left are doing most of the work the load is concentrated on them.

In addition, as the roller follows its tooth around the sprocket it rolls up the "ramp," while under load. This promotes wear to the insides of the rollers and to the "bushings" they roll on. With a properly meshed chain, the roller only turns a tiny bit as it rolls onto and off of the chain.

Due to the pitch mismatch, the chain will not reliably mesh with the sprocket under load, and will tend to jump forward, skipping over the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

If you have a worn ring, consider getting a new saddle.

[/terrible pun]

Advertisement