Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Person on a License

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    What is the procedure and has anyone the experience in putting a second person onto your license?

I would like to put the cousin on my 10/22 and I would like to get on a family member's 12ga. What paperwork needs to be completed and is it online?

Whose Garda station should be contacted? For me to get on the cousin's license, do we go through his Gardai? For my cousin to get on my license, through my Gardai?

Is getting on the license for a 12ga the same process as getting a 12ga license -just as hard or easier? If just as difficult, I'll just get another 12ga. However, we do have a particular need of getting me on the existing 12ga license.

As always, thanks in advance for your feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

FISMA wrote: »
    Lads,
    What is the procedure and has anyone the experience in putting a second person onto your license?

Its simple. I hold licenses for some of my Father's firearms as he does for some of mine.

You (the person seeking the license) get an FCA1. Fill it in as normal with all the referee, photos, GP details, etc, etc. The only sections to pay "special" attention to are the following:

Section 3.3 - Source of Firearm - Fill in part B (from private source). On your attached letter with the extra details that all applications demand, make reference to section 3.3, and just note that the firearm is currently owned by another person and you are seeking to be licensed on said firearm.
    Section 4.1 - Certificate details - Here you give the amount of ammo, cert in Irish/English and most importantly the certificate number of the other person licensed on the firearm, ie. the original owner.

Once all the FCA1 is completed and you have your photos, and extra info letter submit it and wait. Thats it.
    I would like to put the cousin on my 10/22 and I would like to get on a family member's 12ga. What paperwork needs to be completed and is it online?

Yes. An FCA1 and can be gotten here. Its a normal application with just a few "tweaks".
    Whose Garda station should be contacted? For me to get on the cousin's license, do we go through his Gardai? For my cousin to get on my license, through my Gardai?

You apply to the Garda station that is local to you. So if you want a license on his firarm you apply to your station, and vice versa for your cousin.
    Is getting on the license for a 12ga the same process as getting a 12ga license -just as hard or easier? If just as difficult, I'll just get another 12ga. However, we do have a particular need of getting me on the existing 12ga license.

You will be judged on the merits of your application irrespective of what type of firearm and who the owner is. Once licensed the Garda are giving you permission to hold, carry and use the firearm so you must be vetted in the normal manner as every other firearms owner.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I would not mind getting my girlfriend licenced on my own rifle at some stage. It was a real pain in the ass last time
    I went to the range and she could not take a few shots from my gun to see if she would like it since she was only my guest and not licenced to shoot. She ended up watching me shoot while she sat around bored.
    (Which I thought was bloody ridiculous)

It really pisses me off that joe soap public can turn up without a licence to clay pigeon shooting grounds and pay and shoot, yet you can no longer do the same thing for rifle.

Im curious to know if I was to get the other half to fill in the forms to get licenced on my rifle where shes living at
    the same address as myself would the Gardai be out to inspect my house and safe Again ? If my ammo limit is 500
    and she if gets a licence on my gun, does that entitle her to
    purchase an additional 500 ? or is the Limit per gun rather than per person licenced?

~B

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

bullets wrote: »
    Im curious to know if I was to get the other half to fill in the forms to get licenced on my rifle where shes living at
    the same address as myself would the Gardai be out to inspect my house and safe Again?

That would be up to the Gardai. My own personal thought on the matter is no. You have been vetted and passed, and the fact that it would be your firearm, on your property, in your safe should actually aid her application.
    If my ammo limit is 500
    and she if gets a licence on my gun, does that entitle her to
    purchase an additional 500 ? or is the Limit per gun rather than per person licenced?

If she got 500 on her license then she wold be entitled to hold 500 rounds as would you so 1,000 in total. The license ammo amount applies per license, and has nothing to do with other persons or couples.

In my case. I have a .22 in benchrest and .22 in hunter. I have 2,000 on the benchrest and 1,000 on the hunter. I am legally allowed to hold 3,000 rounds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement