Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Spain during the summer

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi! So basically I'm a language student of Modern Languages (French/Spanish) in college. As part of my degree I have to spend time in France and Spain throughout my degree (two months for both languages). I really would appreciate as to how I would go about doing something worthwhile in Spain for two months. Obviously I don't want to arrive there and wander/do nothing in Spain for two months. Ideally I'd like to get a job, but since Spain is going through a bad recession, I'm not expecting to land a job easily. I haven't got a TEFL either, and at the minute I can't afford to do a proper year course which would qualify me to do so. I'd like to do a language course in Spain but two months would really be pricey. Also since I'm studying Spanish in college, It would be better for me to focus more on listening and speaking it. Can anyone give me some advice or helpful suggestions for this? thanks.

Comments

I wouldn't rule out teaching entirely. Apart from one-to-one private lessons, some schools won't care about certification and will hire just about anyone with a pulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I wouldn't rule out teaching entirely. Apart from one-to-one private lessons, some schools won't care about certification and will hire just about anyone with a pulse.

Thanks for replying to my query. Though I have been told numerous times that getting an English teaching job is difficult in Spain, without having a TEFL cert. It seems to be (from what i've been told) that there are so many unemployed TEFL qualified people in Spain, so what is there to say that they would not get a job, over me who does not have this cert.

At the same time I have been told that they do look for people who have a degree. Would my background in language studies be an advantage, considering I try, test and am exposed to so many language learning techniques. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion with regard to this. Bear in mind I'm only into my second year of a four year degree course in French and Spanish.

Sorry if I sound a bit defeatist. I just want to know what i'm up against, and what you (klaz) have said is the contrary to what I've been told.

Have a browse through this forum, and perhaps ask the question bearing in mind your own circumstances. It also depends where in Spain you want to teach.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=21

I haven't taught in Spain yet, so I couldn't really give accurate advice.

Advertisement