Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Ops Tips Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

any tips on getting a good killstreak going? im at 13 at the moment struggling to break it.

im currently using the ak74u with grip and silencer

python with speed reloader

hardline
    warlord
    last stand

any tips?

I run a similar class, but instead of the silencer I have a grip and instead of second chance I use marathon. What killstreak rewards do you use?

If you're trying to get a good killstreak I'd suggest spyplane, blackbird and then either choppergunner/gunship/attackdogs, depending on the map and your preference.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I don't like Marathon, I guess thats negative and cheap too. :pac:

Second Chance Pro (which is very, very easy to get), can help you keep and add to killstreaks. If you are playing with a group of mates who will revive you, it can help you hang onto that precious killstreak.

I used to use Ninja, but really, I don't see a great benefit to it. For the most part, players move reasonably silently anyways (compared to MW1 for example).

Trying to compare marathon to second chance makes very little to no sense.

Last Stand/Second Chance, Juggernaut, Martydom and Painkiller are what I'd class as cheap, pathetic and negative perks. I think most relatively experienced COD players will agree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'd run with hacker (pro is even better, hijack enemy equipment and care packages). Have had hacker on since day 1 and can't imagine a game without it, so nice finding a claymore and usually the guy camping right behind it.

As Ade said take off the second chance. Marathon instead if you prefer that.

I'd have the CZ75 full auto as my secondary, it's easily the best one imo (after the Strella-2 :)).

Other than that just play smart, and don't run into wide open spaces (the long road in Havana). There's no "set tips" for building high killstreaks, just takes time and some luck.

I like hacker, but hacker pro is pretty much redundant. In all my time using it I think I've only had the chance to hack maybe 2 claymores and 1 carepackage? Doesn't really seem worth it to me. I still run it on alot of classes though, cos the basic hacker is so good.

I mean obviously get the pro if you have it, but regular hacker is what you'd use 99% of the time.

Oh yea, put scavenger on with warlord pro. You'd run out of ammo if you're using guns like the Galil and such pretty fast. Anyways the 2x semtex/frag/tomo is really handy for clearing out rooms.

I've never used Scavenger, I just love picking up random peoples weapons :D Hardline ftw. I run it on pretty much every class.

Funny enough I don't need to use Scavenger whatsoever(thank you dual mags) likewise claymores(haven't used one yet!). I did over use them towards the end of MW2 admittedly as I was so paranoid about being sneaked up on by some M/L/C tramp.

C4's own. Love lobbing them in windows where there's 2/3 camping. I've never gotten more than 1+ kill at a time with a claymore, and this weekend I had 2 quads, a few triples and numerous singles/doubles. <3:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Magill wrote: »
    Second chance is bent and should never have been put in the game. I usually teabag my teammates when they go into it

I usually do the same thing,I got some abuse in a game the other day for doing it to a guy while he was in second chance but the more abuse he gave the more I couldn't stop laughing

• Advertisement

Leeg17 wrote: »
    C4's own. Love lobbing them in windows where there's 2/3 camping. I've never gotten more than 1+ kill at a time with a claymore, and this weekend I had 2 quads, a few triples and numerous singles/doubles. <3:D

The only thing I've unlocked so far :D Love em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

If you're playing Black Ops in a tactical positioning style rather than a rush style, then this piece of kit is absolutely vital.

I honestly only started using it in order to get Hacker Pro. I had to kill 25 enemies within the radius of the sensor. In game one I had 13 down.
    You can hold a position easily, pick it up, move to a new position.

Honestly, on certain maps, this little guy can get you a ton of kills. I cant fathom how it's not used much more.

The only downside is that it should be a campers delight. When I used it first I was shocked that it was so powerful. I cant fathom how campers haven't jumped on it.... but from what I've seen, most campers don't use it :confused:

Anyway, that's my tip. Motion Sensor for anyone not playing the Rush game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

jimbling wrote: »
    If you're playing Black Ops in a tactical positioning style rather than a rush style, then this piece of kit is absolutely vital.

I honestly only started using it in order to get Hacker Pro. I had to kill 25 enemies within the radius of the sensor. In game one I had 13 down.

Honestly, on certain maps, this little guy can get you a ton of kills. I cant fathom how it's not used much more.

The only downside is that it should be a campers delight. When I used it first I was shocked that it was so powerful. I cant fathom how campers haven't jumped on it.... but from what I've seen, most campers don't use it :confused:

I'm a serious camper, the only reason I don't use it cos i always get someone on my team to drop a claymore behind me/at the door to me when mine goes off

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mithrid

Totally agree with this. It's very useful for games like domination for defending flags. It works especially well in the main building in WMD overlooking A and B which seems to be the hot spot for action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I have to say so far I've noticed very little camping in Black Ops

I'm a serious camper, the only reason I don't use it cos i always get someone on my team to drop a claymore behind me/at the door to me when mine goes off

Firstly, when you say camper, you mean tactical positional player* right? :pac:

If that's the case, what you should be doing is using the MS and getting your teammates to drop claymores. Best of both worlds.
    I have to say so far I've noticed very little camping in Black Ops

This is certainly true... especially in comparison to MW2. Some days you'll get one in every second corner...... but most days it's just one every now and again.

*Tactical Position style: Hold down a room/area. Killing those who enter your domain, while talking out as many as possible from the area viewpoints.
    Camping style: Find a corner somewhere where a lot of people run by. Sit and wait..... kill those who walk passed you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Firstly, when you say camper, you mean tactical positional player* right? :pac:

If that's the case, what you should be doing is using the MS and getting your teammates to drop claymores. Best of both worlds.

This is certainly true... especially in comparison to MW2. Some days you'll get one in every second corner...... but most days it's just one every now and again.

*Tactical Position style: Hold down a room/area. Killing those who enter your domain, while talking out as many as possible from the area viewpoints.
    Camping style: Find a corner somewhere where a lot of people run by. Sit and wait..... kill those who walk passed you.
    Ha ha well i suppose I would be tactiacal postions as I generally stop play on one side of the map.

Next time I get called a camper by the lads I'm using that term!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ye motion sensor is brilliant.Compared to the camera which im not a big fan as you lose your map when ya have the camera turned on.I know ya can go between both but its effort :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

When you've had enough of disconnections and you've got no hair left to pull out why not try this.
    Take your black ops out of your console then with a pen or marker draw a star shape on the shiny side.With a good sharp knife or scissora start to cut out your shape.(small children get an adult to help with the cutting)
    heypresto now you have your very own chinese throwing star but take care as you could have someones eye out with that.
    If anyone has any other great ideas then i would like to here them.
    Happy gaming to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

or... take a deep breath, stand up and go for a walk/skate/slip/fall...

ermm...

forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dunnel009

or....
    Wait for the patch that is coming out next week to sort this stuff out.....
    If it doesnt then we'll call your plan PLAN B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

iMuse wrote: »

.. and with that said, posts moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Soby wrote: »
    ye motion sensor is brilliant.Compared to the camera which im not a big fan as you lose your map when ya have the camera turned on.I know ya can go between both but its effort :P

I'm first prestige level 41(dunno how people see this, I have gotten to 50 and gone to 1 and now up to 41) , and I haven't used the Camera Spike yet, haven't used the Jammer yet either, haven't bought either of em.

First time going from 1-50 I bought most stuff and tried it out, but now this time around I know what I need and have saved plenty of money, but honestly couldn't be bothered going for the pro perks. Only gotten 2 so far and haven't bought all of em, bought about 60% of em.

Motion sensor is brilliant, I love it, I guess how I play can be considered 'camping', or what others call ''locking down a area''. I always go my spots, the popular ones, and built up the streaks. Currently running Blackbird, Chopper Gunner and Dogs. Having decent success with it.

AUG and silenced Famas are without doubt my favourite classes, whereas if I play objective games I use AK74U or the MP5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Soby wrote: »

How do you go between ?
    I'm first prestige level 41(dunno how people see this, I have gotten to 50 and gone to 1 and now up to 41) , and I haven't used the Camera Spike yet, haven't used the Jammer yet either, haven't bought either of em.

First time going from 1-50 I bought most stuff and tried it out, but now this time around I know what I need and have saved plenty of money, but honestly couldn't be bothered going for the pro perks. Only gotten 2 so far and haven't bought all of em, bought about 60% of em.

Motion sensor is brilliant, I love it, I guess how I play can be considered 'camping', or what others call ''locking down a area''. I always go my spots, the popular ones, and built up the streaks. Currently running Blackbird, Chopper Gunner and Dogs. Having decent success with it.

AUG and silenced Famas are without doubt my favourite classes, whereas if I play objective games I use AK74U or the MP5.

Ah! 50 levels before prestige - I was wondering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Up on the D-pad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Camera spike is great for Demo, especially when no one on the team is watching a particular site. I just stick it in the corner and hide the opposite side of the site to their spawn and wait for enemies to arrive. Usually works quite well and they often don't realise what's going on! Jammer is also good around a bomb site as you can forego a suppressor.

Also, don't bother with combat training - I just enter ante up gun game or sharpshooter to get warmed up before going into ranked games; makes a difference most of the time, and helps when you're playing against real players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 redman663

yea it seems that the cheats dont work on the wii and i needed those extra maps

craze7 wrote: »
    I seen a Youtube video that shows you how to download the old Zombie maps for free and run them off a usb stick!
    yea it seems that the cheats dont work on the wii and i needed those extra maps

cronin_j wrote: »
    When at the menu on the ps l2,r2,l2,r2, he gets out of chair, if you go over to the radio you will get an acheivement called ask me nicely.
    Go over to the computer and you can play "Zork" by typing in zork, then you can play DOA by typing in DOA

If any of ye were familar with DOs growing up, if you type DIR it will bring up a list of files on the pc. some of these are letters to his dad and pictures. Type CAT and the file name and it will display the contents of the file. i. CAT letter to dad.txt and it will display it.

You can also read his emails by typing mail and then typing either 0-9 to read them

Type “3ARC INTEL” to unlock and view all Intel (WARNING: Will disable Closer Analysis Achievement!)

Type “3ARC UNLOCK” to unlock all the Zombies levels

Aftersome digging:

There is also an rlogin command which is intended to login to remote systems but I have yet to find the name of a remote system to attempt a login to.

amason’s password is still “password” so you can always use that to login to the system as well.

More updates to come…

———————————————

UPDATE 2

To login as the following users (which also adds different content to their directory listings) type “LOGIN” as described above and enter the following username / password combos to login as those users and access their files and emails as well.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Terminal Logins (Complete list of CIA and Dreamland logins, still working on 3 home directory users as well as DoD and Derriese system logins)

Username: amason
    Password: password

Username: asmith
    Password: roxy

Username: bharris
    Password: goskins (Thanks Phil Wright!)

Username: dking
    Password: mfk

Username: fwoods (Thanks benbenjiben!)
    Password: philly

Username: gweaver (thanks drcancerman!)
    Password: gedeon

Username: jbowman
    Password: uwd

Username: jfkennedy
    Password: lancer

Username: jhudson
    Password: bryant1950

Username: jmccone
    Password: berkley22

Username: jturner
    Password: condor75

Username: lbjohnson
    Password: ladybird

Username: rhelms
    Password: lerosey

Username: rjackson
    Password: saintbridget

Username: rkain
    Password: sunwu

Username: rnixon
    Password: checkers

Username: tbrooks
    Password: lauren

Username: twalker
    Password: radi0 (Note: That’s a zero on the end)

Username: vbush
    Password: manhattan

Username: wraborn
    Password: bromlow

Usernames with home directories but don’t show up in the “who” listing

hkissinger
    sagnew
    jwalker

——————————————-

UPDATE 3

The rlogin command is almost certainly supposed to be used to login to the “Dreamland” server which requires “MJ-12″ clearance. MJ-12 is a reference to a group created in the 40’s to investigate possible alien interactions with earth after Roswell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_12) but I’m not sure what the deal is here since the password for vbush is manhattan to begin with. (Dr. Vannevar Bush was a member and there is a vbush login, not working for rlogin’ing into dreamland though, yet..)

Type “RLOGIN DREAMLAND” to attempt a login with a username and password.

Found a file in vbush’s home directory called “dlpw.txt”, it’s encoded. You can decode the file by typing this:

decode the string inside dlpw.txt

The password appears to be “MANHATTAN” after decoding the contents.

Dreamland System:

Username: vbush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vannevar_Bush)
    Password: majestic1

Username: roppen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer)
    Password: trinity (thanks again drcancerman!)

Username: twalker
    Password: thanksdad (thanks mafiafilms!)
    ——————————

UPDATE 4

Ok, I’m decoding the emails right now, lbjohnson has 2 emails which are encoded (4 and 5) and I am manually decoding them right now, so far the first line in the first encrypted email says…

TO: Johnson, L
    SUBJECT: KOWLOON

PACKAGE LOST

NOVA6 TREAT CONFIRMED

DREAMLAND UPDATED

PROCEEDING TO YAMANTAU
    ———

TO: Johnson, L
    SUBJECT: Mason

MASON DELUSIONAL

HES BEEN MUMBLING ABOUT NUMBERS

BUT AT THIS STAGE THATS ALL WE HAVE

RECOMMEND IMMEDIATE INITIATION

OF FALLBACK OPERATION
    —————————————————-

The hacking continues….more updates to come

—————————————————-

UPDATE 5

Dreamland system accessed using all 3 known usernames and passwords (vbush, roppen, and twalker),

roppen has a bunch of text files containing transcripts of recordings of experiments that are obviously related to zombies and an encrypted file called hai1.txt and it’s contents decrypted say:

GUN IN MY RIGHT HAND
    AND A COLA IN MY LEFT
    BRING ME THE MEATSACKS

File called Radiance.txt in roppen’s home directory is encrypted, here it is decoded:

IF THE RADIANCE OF A THOUSAND SUNS
    WERE TO BURST AT ONCE IN THE SKY
    THAT WOULD BE LIKE THE SPLENDOR
    OF THE MIGHTY ONE

File called hai2.txt decoded:

UNDEAD ALL ABOUT
    SURROUNDED NEED MAX AMMO
    COULD USE A REVIVE

hai5.txt decoded

WENT DOWN TO THE LAKE
    STUMBLED UPON A SECRET
    WILL NOT SLEEP AGAIN

(I’m starting to get real tired of manually decoding these messages, it’s a serious pain in the ass. Note to Treyarch, this is all very cool stuff, but couldn’t you have figured out an easier way for console users to decode these messages? I’m even using the keyboard that attaches to a controller and it’s still annoying, can’t copy and paste to decode or anything like I’m sure PC users can)

Logged into the Dreamland system with twalker

Encrypted lines in Update.txt file in his directory are

CWZGUTCT (“PETER”)
    HVZJZQUZQTTYMPJMRTTQYN (TANK DEMSEY)

(“SIGNED CORNELIUS PERNELL”)
    No emails in twalker’s login, a few back and forth emails between vbush and roppen inside their logins, nothing to mention that’s significant yet.

You can also try these remote system logins

rlogin dod (no logins yet)

rlogin derriese (no logins yet)

rlogin cia (all starting logins work here)

to go back to the starting CIA system.

——————————————————–

UPDATE 6

Ok, so I’ve been going through all the txt files and decoding them and it looks like a lot of the files that actually have data in them are related to zombies, Dr. Maxis, and the story of how it all came to be. I’m not disappointed really, but the text files are just the transcripts of what you hear on the radios in World at War’s zombie mode when you find the radios. To see the transcripts, click here.

I’m now working on getting into the DoD and Derriese systems, I’ve tried the following username and password combos which have so far been unsuccessful (These logins are not confirmed to even exist, I’m just trying them based on probability after seeing the logins for the other systems and also after reading almost every text file I’ve come across.)

rlogin derriese

Possible Username: lmaxis
    Unsuccessful Password Attempts: samantha, sophia, 935, group935, fluffy, hellhound, hellhounds, reichstag, wunderwaffle, zombies, thegiant, giant, doctormax, element115, 115, peter, (still trying)

Possible Username: erichtofen
    Unsuccessful Password Attempts: schnapps, fluffy, thebutcher, butcher

Possible Username: tdemsey
    Unsuccessful Password Attempts: peter, tank, zombies, meatsack, meatsacks

—————————————————–
    UPDATE 7

I’m taking a break from the hacking to actually play the game. Thanks to all you guys who are helping out, keep leavin those comments!

—————————————————–
    UPDATE 8

Rumor has it that rmcnamara (Robert McNamara) is a login on the DoD system. Would make sense but no further details as of yet.
    there are some rlogin user/pass on ign.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Only noticed this now, but if you go into options in the multiplayer the last option is load multiplayer by default. Enable it and you can skip the intro and the other options menu.

• Advertisement

Just came across this a while ago. Most people will know it all already, but some very useful information there too. If you're a beginner it will be very beneficial to give it a read through.... so thought I'd post it here.

http://hupitgaming.com/forum/23-guides-and-intel/225091-blops-perk-guide

I came across a few surprises myself.

Hacker Pro makes you invisible to Motion Sensors.
    I can't believe this, it explains a lot!!! How I never spotted that mentioned anywhere I'll never know.

With regards Ghost Pro:
    When you have Ghost Pro equipped, are you still visible by enemy controlled aircrafts?

Yes, you are. Most people think that when you equip Ghost Pro, the red diamond around you will disappear, but this is false. You will still be seen by any enemy Chopper Gunner/Gunship, enemy Attack Dogs will still hunt you down, and enemy Blackbirds will still pin-point your exact location on their map.

I knew about blackbirds/dogs, but CG and Gunship :eek: :confused:
    This can't be right is it? I'm pretty sure it's not to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just came across this a while ago. Most people will know it all already, but some very useful information there too. If you're a beginner it will be very beneficial to give it a read through.... so thought I'd post it here.

http://hupitgaming.com/forum/23-guides-and-intel/225091-blops-perk-guide

I came across a few surprises myself.

Hacker Pro makes you invisible to Motion Sensors.
    I can't believe this, it explains a lot!!! How I never spotted that mentioned anywhere I'll never know.

With regards Ghost Pro:
    When you have Ghost Pro equipped, are you still visible by enemy controlled aircrafts?

Yes, you are. Most people think that when you equip Ghost Pro, the red diamond around you will disappear, but this is false. You will still be seen by any enemy Chopper Gunner/Gunship, enemy Attack Dogs will still hunt you down, and enemy Blackbirds will still pin-point your exact location on their map.

I knew about blackbirds/dogs, but CG and Gunship :eek: :confused:
    This can't be right is it? I'm pretty sure it's not to be honest.

It can't be true, had my CG shot down by many a person with no red diamond around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah I don't believe the Choppers can see you with Ghost Pro. I never get killed by them when I have it on and am running around like an eejit below

Advertisement