Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which firewall?

• 11-11-2010 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for hardware firewall for a small business. 1 domain controller/apps/file sever with Windows SBS 2003 and 7 XP clients. The server is a Dell T410 tower. There's no rack in the office. Basic feature's needed, just the firewall really.

There's an ADSL internet connection in the office.

I've been looking at some sellers web sites and see a lot of firewalls listed with annual subscriptions. What's the subscription to?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You need a subscription for updates - they release patches to fix security bugs all the time as well as update attack/virus/worm signatures. If your firewall is not up to date, it could be compromised.

Many good routers have firewall functions built in and can do a majority of what you want. Look into the ASA devices by Cisco.

If you want a proper appliance, I would suggest again looking into Cisco, Sonicwall, or FortiGate.

Stay away from McAfee (formerly Sidewinder) and any of the Norton products - they are home products that have been converted to be used in an enterprise environment that have too many issues to list IMHO.

One last thing, definitely stay about from Checkpoint and Zone Alarm products - both are made in israel, both contain lots of backdoors as it is required by law there. Both companies have had problems with people getting into their products via the backdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Best option is to get a Desktop or entry level 1U Server with at least 2 NIC's and install pfSense on it.

It's a free open-source Firewall based on BSD so it's solid and stable as hell.
    Also very easy to Admin and had pre-compiled add-on for Proxy, IDS, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

CptSternn wrote: »
    One last thing, definitely stay about from Checkpoint and Zone Alarm products - both are made in israel, both contain lots of backdoors as it is required by law there. Both companies have had problems with people getting into their products via the backdoors.
    Really? Would love to see something to back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Any ISP will provide you with a basic router with firewall / NAT service built-in Free Of Charge, if that is what you want...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

shayser wrote: »
    I..... Basic feature's needed, just the firewall really.

If all you need are the basic firewall features then whatever your ISP provided you with will probably be sufficient.

If there other features that you need then you'd need to elaborate. Then someone might be able to recommend something more appropriate for YOUR needs as opposed to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

shayser wrote: »
    I'm looking for hardware firewall for a small business. 1 domain controller/apps/file sever with Windows SBS 2003 and 7 XP clients. The server is a Dell T410 tower. There's no rack in the office. Basic feature's needed, just the firewall really.

There's an ADSL internet connection in the office.

I've been looking at some sellers web sites and see a lot of firewalls listed with annual subscriptions. What's the subscription to?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Id would just go for a Sonicwall Tz100 for that size of office, it has a wizard setup will protect the network and also provide content filtering, and gateway antivirus..

Go for TZ100 Total Secure for the first year, and the renewal wont be too much each year, but it will be worth it... Put your existing dsl router in bridge mode and do the ppoe connection on the sonicwall..

Ive put in a huge amount of these and they are excellent...

there are other features that can be enabled, to totally protect internet use etc...

Advertisement