Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My father has a Full Licence M, does he need to theory test for A & A1

Options
  • 11-11-2010 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi All,

My father has a Full licence for category B & M from back in the day. He wants to get a provisional licence for A & A1 and wants to know if he still has to complete the thoery test or is he exempt because of the Full M licence he already holds.

Any advice welcome,
    cbrady99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think that there is some rule that if you completed a theory test in recent years then you're exempted from having to take it again for the new category. I got my Learner's Permit at the beginning of 2008 having had a full B since 2001 and I had to take the Theory Test.

If he's getting a license, tell him he'll have to get his skates on before December or he'll have to go through Compulsory Bike Training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cbrady99

Thanks cantdecide,

He's actually never sat a theory test ever. He got his Full B licence years ago and it was just a matter of ticking extra boxes on the application form to cover M and a couple of other category's (Not including A or A1).

He now wants A/A1 and wanted to know if he was exempt from the theory test because he has a full M licence.

btw.. Thanks for the heads up on the Compulsory Bike Training. I never knew it was coming in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

He'll probably have to sit it again, get him to ring the tax office to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

cbrady99 wrote: »
    ...He now wants A/A1 and wanted to know if he was exempt from the theory test because he has a full M licence...

No way, José. He'll have to do the TT I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Best bet is to visit the tax office to see if he needs it. I rang the theory test centre asking if I had to and was told I would. After sitting the test I was told in the tax office I need not have done it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I have a full A1 and i was told if i wanted to go for an A licence i would have to sit a theory test as i had never sat one before- My Local Tax office told me this.

Just found this: http://theorytest.ie/english/driver-theory-test/faq.php

What do I do if I wish to add another category to my current driving licence?

You are required to pass a driver theory test if it is your first provisional licence/learner permit in a specific category. You must apply to your local licencing authority and submit your driver theory test certificate in respect of that category. (Postal applications for a learner permit should be sent to the Motor Taxation Office in your city/county of residence).

So i would say he would have to do the TT as it will be his first learner permit in the A or A1 catergory. I'd advise him to go for the A, as it will cover the A1 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

The Theory Test is not that hard, maybe some of the stopping distances are confusing but a lot of the same questions come up over again.
    Read the book over and over and he will be grand, it's a memory test really.

Advertisement