Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PANASONIC G20 SETTINGS....

• 11-11-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

Im after buying a Panasonic G20!

I'll be setting it up today after work.

I've read in a few places about all these special features. etc. etc!!!

Can someone advise me on the best settings i should tweek on the tv OR should i just plug in and watch!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Get a copy of this and set up a couple of profiles for day, evening and night for example.

The point being that no one other than you and your family live in your house so no one other than those people can determine which value of contrast is correct for your lighting conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Hi,

Im after buying a Panasonic G20!

I'll be setting it up today after work.

I've read in a few places about all these special features. etc. etc!!!

Can someone advise me on the best settings i should tweek on the tv OR should i just plug in and watch!!!!!!!

Cheers!

from reading some reviews online I set the picture setting to THX and it looks fantastic!

Welcome to the G20 club - it`s an awesome TV!

Also, download the latest firmware if you are connecting by ethernet to the internet.....

from reading some reviews online I set the picture setting to THX and it looks fantastic!

Is there an online 1080p calibration tool on the THX website? The bloody thing had me going around in circles so either I'm missing something or it's just the text on how to adjust the picture according to your device settings.

The BR from my link above has a couple of hours of setup sequences for all the different settings which you adjust on screen as opposed to text describing what you should do, hence why it was my recommendation. Obviously the DVD version will only give you a 576p image.

Idleater wrote: »
    Is there an online 1080p calibration tool on the THX website? The bloody thing had me going around in circles so either I'm missing something or it's just the text on how to adjust the picture according to your device settings.

The BR from my link above has a couple of hours of setup sequences for all the different settings which you adjust on screen as opposed to text describing what you should do, hence why it was my recommendation. Obviously the DVD version will only give you a 576p image.

Not sure if there is - have a read of the following though:
    http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TX-P42G20-Plasma-HDTV-Review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newcastlefan

Hi all!

Ok I've just a pent the evening watch the G20 and I must say it's class!

Very impressed!

However! One thing....

How do I keep the puce display to wide screen full time.

It's set to Auto at d mo and when I change channel (sky sports to discovery channel) it changes to a zoom picture. Which looks ****!

Sky should be always set to wide. Or else the logos and sky bar disappear off the screen :confused::confused::confused:

Also I tried the setting but there is no wide setting! Everything else bar wide!
    But when I have it on auto and turn on sky sports it says wide when I change the channel.
    Very annoying!

Please help!

• Advertisement

Don't have that screen myself so don't know the settings but I set my panel to "unscaled" ie no image processing done at all by the panel.

Generally I prefer the garbage in garbage out policy instead of garbage in upscaled processed garbage out. I prefer the black bars to stretched images or flickering between 16:9 and zoom because some channels are not described properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Hi all!

Sky should be always set to wide. Or else the logos and sky bar disappear off the screen :confused::confused::confused:

Please help!

I use the 16:9 option on mine.

Not sure if there is - have a read of the following though:
    http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TX-P42G20-Plasma-HDTV-Review.html

Read the review and sure enough lots of settings to adjust. As per my previous posts, many of these features distort the image, my screen for instance reportedly removed the fake grain / artifacts from "old" scenes in games/movies.
    For gaming too, all that processing takes time which in turn lags gameplay.
    Therefore and after watching the calibration disc, I switched most of that off on ps3/dvd/br and onto none to low for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newcastlefan

Isn't sky suppose to be set in wide screen?

On 16:9 the sky logos etc are floating in the top middle section of the screen!

Wide screen has them neatly in the top corner.

All i want is the normal option of switching to Wide Screen instead of Auto!

No joy!
    :confused:

Isn't sky suppose to be set in wide screen?

My understanding (albeit limited) is that each channel sets a "widescreen flag" for each program that is broadcast in widescreen. Sometimes this is missing and your TV guesses the format.

I've had a read of the manual for your TV and between the text and images on page 19 and 53 "standard" appears to be the one that leaves the image "as is".

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    Read the review and sure enough lots of settings to adjust. As per my previous posts, many of these features distort the image, my screen for instance reportedly removed the fake grain / artifacts from "old" scenes in games/movies.
    For gaming too, all that processing takes time which in turn lags gameplay.
    Therefore and after watching the calibration disc, I switched most of that off on ps3/dvd/br and onto none to low for tv.

I have the settings like C.A.T.S. and vivid colour turned off and the viewing mode set to THX and have not experiencied any lag with games on my xbox 360......
    When I first bought the G20 i did see the motion blur while watching football (sky HD) but that seems to have improved, haven`t noticed it in a while.....I always believed the discussions around running in av equipment in for a number of hours was rubbish until I bought the G20 and my new monitor audio speakers this summer....)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

Anyone have any issues with buzzing?

I bought mine last week from Richer Sounds in Belfast and it was really bad at first, like a jackhammer at the back of the TV.

Has improved a bit now, but just the general "plasma buzz" seems too loud. Watching the TV at night with low volume is nearly impossible.

Here's the YouTube video of my set "buzzing" when I first got it. As you can see, the buzz ing stops when I "grip" the right-hand side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8U2Lgkx6H0

mccreesj wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues with buzzing?

I bought mine last week from Richer Sounds in Belfast and it was really bad at first, like a jackhammer at the back of the TV.

Has improved a bit now, but just the general "plasma buzz" seems too loud. Watching the TV at night with low volume is nearly impossible.

Here's the YouTube video of my set "buzzing" when I first got it. As you can see, the buzz ing stops when I "grip" the right-hand side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8U2Lgkx6H0

no buzzing at all from my set....(nice to see highlights from super leeds win at anfield in 2001 on your screen though)
    I have read on av forums that this is a issue with some sets, i`m sure the guys in RS will sort you out if you give them a call and you also should be entitled to a 5 year warranty from panasonic....

Advertisement