Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self employed and wife's small income

• 11-11-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

This is my situation and I would appreciate advice before I go to SW offices;
    * was self employed but now have no work.
    * no savings as people not payed me for work done.
    * wife & 2 kids
    * wife has own business but is struggling to survive. Income varies from week to week. Sometimes profit sometimes loss.
    * can't afford rent etc.

Not sure if we are eligible for anything as my wife has own business and I was self employed.

Any advice on course of action appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Call into your local citizens information office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Not much point going to the CI office, as they will just direct you to the Social Protection office.

Anyway, if you are available for, and genuinely seeking full time employment, then you are entitled to apply for the means tested Jobseeker's Allowance payment. You will have to supply details of both of wife's and your own business accounts, and both your potential incomes will be assessed by the Social Protection Inspectors.

I would advise you to make your claim asap, as means testing can take some time, though your claim will be back dated. Many self employed people are now finding themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to sign on, so your situation is not that unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks Uoluol,

Can I get assistance from Community welfare Officer while waiting for claim to be processed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Yes. He'll assess your situation and will pay you if he feels the welfare claim is going to go through. He may even go so far as to check with the person who interviews you in welfare, to see if he / she thinks the claim will be paid; so be sure to get that persons name.

Advertisement