Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Router & Apple Home Sharing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

Go into your Eircom routers settings, knock off wi fi and set up the apple router

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mollymx5

After reading many posts re: eircom router problems I have a 2 questions.

I bought an Apple Airport Extreme Can I a) bypass the eircom router altogether and just use the AAP as as router or b) should I disable the wireless function on the eircom router so that I just have one wireless network in the house?

very confused

Disable the wi fi on your Eircom router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 karlcoffey

I have also experienced this problem where connection of devices via the Eircom DSL (Zyxel) Router WiFi prevents the correct operation of Apple Home Shareing and Apple Remote App. I have an Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Laptop and PC. I resolved this issue initially by using an older Eircom DSL router I had as the WiFi access point while contiuing to use the DSL router as DHCP / DNS server (i.e. the older router merely acted as a birdge onto the existing LAN). Provided all WiFi devices access the LAN via this method everything worked. In the last week I purchased a new 2TB Apple Time Capsule which contains a WiFi Access Point and can act as a Router / Bridge via its WAN ethernet interface. I set it up as a bridge as before and everything works perfectly. The simple solution to this issue therefore is get a seperate WiFi Access Point device, connect it to the existing LAN as a bridge device (into a Hub or directly into an ethernet port on the DSL router), connect all WiFi client devices to the LAN through it and leave the existing Eircom DSL router/DHCP server as is. There is also no need to turn off the WiFi capability on the Eircom device - just don't connect to it if planning to use Home Shareing or Apple Remote App.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Frenchdude

I have a similar issue with the same router, except I'm not with EIRCOM but with SMART.
    The issue is random though. Sometimes it's working.

It's easier for the AppleTV 2 that I have but the iphone can see the shared library very rarely.

And there is absolutely no firewall feature enabled in the router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭IsMiseDaithair

The eircom zyxel modem does not support the Bonjour protocol that apple uses for sharing. There is a firmware fix for this issue. The tech support for Eircom have this firmware but not all agents know how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

just bought apple tv so now i too have the same router problem
    If I run ethernet to apple tv I take it all would be ok
    or can someone recommend a relatively cheap router that'll work
    things are never fkn easy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cork.girl

just got an apple TV yesterday, hooked it up to my eircom zyxel router and had the same issue as everyone else! rang eircom they didnt have a clue what to do. I tried everything recommended here and still not working :( can anyone please help!!

I bought the Apple Airport Extreme and connected it to my Eircom router, everything worked fine after that

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cork.girl

it would be good if there was a solution other than changing the router or getting a base station :( i just got the zyxel router as a replacement from eircom last week! cant use the remote app on my iphone now either with my itunes library!! it sucks!!!

• Advertisement

It's a killer I know, but I'd tried everything before that trying to get it working and was just hitting my head against a brick wall. Five minutes after buying the Base Station everything was flying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This does not concern me, having no Apple products .... but the following may be of interest ....

check out the Eircom forum ... I did not know they existed until today :D ..... there is mention there of a firmware update for some routers aimed at fixing some Apple problems.

Apparently the file is available from Eircom tech support or such.

..... sorry no link but it should be easy to find .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Hi,

For those who are still experiencing this issue, if you follow the below link it contains details on how to upgrade your eircom zyxel P660 to enable connectivity with Apple TV etc:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=169&E=0000000000306304467&K=6041&Sxi=13

I hope this helps!

B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

For those who are still experiencing this issue, if you follow the below link it contains details on how to upgrade your eircom zyxel P660 to enable connectivity with Apple TV etc:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=169&E=0000000000306304467&K=6041&Sxi=13

I hope this helps!

B

Hi, just to clarify ..... did you use the 'fix' and did it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Hi, just to clarify ..... did you use the 'fix' and did it work?

Yep, tried and tested! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulirishlad

The problem that has affected the Zyxel Routers provided by eircom and the Apple home sharing, TV etc has now been resolved as and from 17 October 2011. Click the following link and follow the on screen instructions:

Finally, some closer on this aged issue.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Art_Vandalay

Thanks Bruno for the tip, Ive been tearing my hair out for the last two days googling till i narrowed it down to the router. Just to make it easier for others to find on google i'll add the keywords apple tv airplay not working, airplay icon missing on ipad 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The problem that has affected the Zyxel Routers provided by eircom and the Apple home sharing, TV etc has now been resolved as and from 17 October 2011. Click the following link and follow the on screen instructions:

I applied this configuration fix to a client's router, as their iPad couldn't detect an HP printer with AirPlay (as mDNS is the underlying protocol between Apple devices...) It fixed the problem mostly, but it's intermittent...

From looking at the filename, it seems the config file disables IGMP Snooping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP_snooping) presumably to open up multicast through the router - if anyone is looking for a new router, they should make sure it allows multicasting

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamfoneill

Hi I tried to apply this update to my P660 and the upgrade gets rejected by the device. Any thoughts? Specifically for my my iPad cannot find my HP 2575 WiFi printer and Remote/Home Sharing to my Windows iTunes Library doesn't work. My current firmware is: V3.70(BOE.1)D0 | 11/19/2009

Update: I wass trying to update the firmware rather than the config D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 purplelittleme

I can' seem to access the link above :(

• Advertisement

I'm also having the same problem. I tried accessing the firmware update link but I get page unavailable in the Eircom website. Anyone knows the exact link or other resources I can download it from? I'd appreciate any reply. Thanks.

I'm also having the same problem. I tried accessing the firmware update link but I get page unavailable in the Eircom website. Anyone knows the exact link or other resources I can download it from? I'd appreciate any reply. Thanks.

are you trying to access from an eircom connection, or is your broadband with another provider?

Hello Dardania,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using Eircom as my wireless broadband connection and Zyxel as my router. I can't seem to get my home sharing in iTunes work too.

Hello Dardania,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using Eircom as my wireless broadband connection and Zyxel as my router. I can't seem to get my home sharing in iTunes work too.

odd that eircom have removed the fix...

On this page: http://gothick.org.uk/2010/05/16/getting-the-apple-iphone-remote-app-working-with-a-zyxel-router/ , this comment: http://gothick.org.uk/2010/05/16/getting-the-apple-iphone-remote-app-working-with-a-zyxel-router/comment-page-1/#comment-25998 seems like it will do the same difference.

To get to the CLI, presuming you are on Windows:
    hold down Start Key and tap R (to get to a run prompt)
    type telnet 192.168.1.254 and hit enter
    presumably you will get to a config screen, where you can enter:
    ether switch igmpsnooping disable
    wlan mcenable 0

or else, you may have to type some commands to get to a configurations screen - try typing help and hitting enter - the help command is usually pretty good in routers...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Hi, that link with the fix appears to be a bit dead. Does anyone still have the config file by any chance? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Thanks, but that seems to be bust as well, I get:
    Session Expired

Your Knowledge Server session has expired and may no longer be accessed.

Try using the search box below to find a solution to your issue.

I'll give the CLI a go next time i'm round my folks gaff, it's their router with the problem...

Have a look at this thread on eircom's site:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Zyxel-and-Apple-Home-Sharing-issue/td-p/9905/highlight/true/page/2

It seems that they've pulled the config file, but will still email it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hymanyman

• Advertisement

hymanyman wrote: »

That link doesn't work on other peoples pcs, couk you post the permalink address for the page, or even the direct link to the config file?

Advertisement