Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification on paying labour cost for oven under warranty

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Service guy in house currently fixing oven and he wants 100 euro+ for a call out fee. Now, I have an extended warranty for up to 6 years, and I'm aware of all the consumer law surrounding sale of goods etc.. But he insists that only parts are free and I have to pay labour ?

Surely if it's not a wear and tear item, and the part is faulty which it is, then it has to be replaced for free regardless of the companies terms and conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

How old is the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,227 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

White goods companies offer extended parts warranties, this doesn't effect your rights.

How old is, what is wrong with it?

Basically if your oven is broken through no fault of your own.

The the 3 r's kick in. Should be no charge.

Personally I would let him fix it and not pay him.

Edit:

I presume you dealth with the shop that sold you the oven and not the manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The Oven is about 4 years old. Have a 6 year extended warranty. It stopped working 2 days ago. Went into shop who have an authorised repair guy for that particular manufacturer. While in there talking to the shop assistant who tried to convince me I was out of warranty, I actually met the actual rep for that company and showed my warranty card to this person who assured me I would have nothing to pay. They organised the repair callout for me. Repair guy comes out, spends 10 minutes replacing a switch and demands 115 euro. He rings up the manufacturer's after sales service who get thick with me on the phone saying my warrany only covers parts and I have to pay labour. I explained that the repair guy replaced a switch which when I asked him, he said was not a wear and tear item. Therefore I should have to pay nothing as good are expected to last a resaonable period of time and up to 6 years. After sales never heard of this. I asked to speak to the rep who was unavaiable. After sales hangs up on me. Do I pay these morons ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious what item broke in the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

He said it was a switch that went from overheating. Anyway, he got his marching orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP there is a difference between making a claim under a manufacturers warranty/guarantee and making a claim under your statutory rights.

If you make a claim under a manufacturers warranty/guarantee then you are bound to the terms of that warranty/guarantee which the manufacturer set at the time. The manufacturer does not have to offer you any more than the terms offered (although they cannot offer any less either). So if their terms said only parts are free and labour you must pay for then that is what you can take or leave.

If however the issue with your oven was not caused by misuse or abuse (this means following all manufacturers guidelines e.g. cleaning etc) then you could have set up a claim against the seller of the oven for the cost of repair/refund/replacement. If your case was covered under your statutory rights then the seller would have to cover the complete cost of the repair/replacement/refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

OP did you not pay the man? Is that a Hotpoint?

Advertisement