Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please! Cat5 terminal enquiry

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Really appreciate some advice on this one lads.....
    Long story short, moved into house a while back & the day after electrician helped me put up the few remaining light fittings he was off to Oz!

From what I can make out he has ran Cat5 cable from all telephone sockets to my attic space (all are identified in a bundle but not terminated). The main telephone socket at the front door is working (have phone & broadband hooked up at the point) but obviously no others are.

My sky box is located in attic space too with sky eyes in all rooms. The living room telephone cable has been "extended" by Sky into back of box in attic & is functioning.

My query is can I just terminate all of these cables (ie all 5~ strands) with standard terminal blocks or do I need to use something a bit more advanced :rolleyes: to ensure all phone points operate.

Apologies for the stupidity, electrical cabling is not my strongpoint.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

hbxutd wrote: »
    Really appreciate some advice on this one lads.....
    Long story short, moved into house a while back & the day after electrician helped me put up the few remaining light fittings he was off to Oz!

From what I can make out he has ran Cat5 cable from all telephone sockets to my attic space (all are identified in a bundle but not terminated). The main telephone socket at the front door is working (have phone & broadband hooked up at the point) but obviously no others are.

My sky box is located in attic space too with sky eyes in all rooms. The living room telephone cable has been "extended" by Sky into back of box in attic & is functioning.

My query is can I just terminate all of these cables (ie all 5~ strands) with standard terminal blocks or do I need to use something a bit more advanced :rolleyes: to ensure all phone points operate.

Apologies for the stupidity, electrical cabling is not my strongpoint.

Take a look at this and this also

Your sky box should not have been put in the attic unless it is insulated, heated and with easy access for the inevitable resets that will be needed.

When you say the telephone cable was extended by Sky? was this done by Sky or an electrician? Sky are notorious for doing an absolute bodge job to fulfil their ridiculous requirement to have a telephone line connected, which serves no purpose only for Sky to gather peoples viewing habits when these boxes phone home during the night and upload the data on what is watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hbxutd

Thanks Stinicker, will have a read through.

Attics heated/insulated etc.
    Basically the 2nd floor of house is a cinema room with 2 small "attics to the sides.
    Sky box is in one (with walk in access) with telephone cables/tv cables at this location also. My plan was to create a "hub" up there.
    As for Sky, yeah bodge jobs are what they're good at alright, I've simply disconnected the cable & plug it back in from time to time (boxoffice etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Hi hbx, did you get the lines joined up?
    I have the same problem. My phone line is working fine, but I have 2 extensions which were never connected.
    They are in the hotpress, and i am trying to find out whether I can join them in a terminal.
    I may have to visit Maplin to see if they have any connectors and some kind of junction box.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement