Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biggest waves in the world... in Ireland!

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Some truly spectacular waves are being generated by these strong Atlantic storms at the moment on the west coast - these surfers reckon they are among the biggest waves in the world - spectacular scenes which may well be repeated later today :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11727125

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Link dosnt work:p

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Link dosnt work:p
    Oops - that was clumsy of me - try again now!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Picture was on the front of the irish times a few days ago.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

50ft waves on Monday it wasn't even windy:confused: must be really big waves out there now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Mad basta*ds. Looks amazing just hope they don't go out there today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

baraca wrote: »
    Mad basta*ds. Looks amazing just hope they don't go out there today!

I don't even surf, but looking at that video makes me wish I did! The thrill from riding those waves so close to home must be terrific :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

These were taken in San Sebastian, on the north coast of Spain, last Tuesday. Are they stunning or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Wow !!! Just....wow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some awesome stuff, esp the last wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭satchman

Incredible!! This actually remids me of some of the massive waves surfed in Billabong Odyssey: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/184224/Billabong-Odyssey/Product.html

Has to be my favourite surfing documentary/dvd of all time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

beatrice33 wrote: »
    These were taken in San Sebastian, on the north coast of Spain, last Tuesday. Are they stunning or what?

Have been to Biarritz before and they take their surfing fairly seriously. Every morning there are I'd say over a hundred people surfing

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

Yeah, all that area in France is known for surfing: Biarritz, Hossegor, Capbreton etc..

Here is another pic of surfers in San Sebastian surfing in the river, the tide was that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I heard the big one was because there was extremely low pressure leading to high seas without the wind, which caused the wave to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I've heard some of the biggest waves being generated off the west coast are because of a Coral Reef about 2km off the West Coast.They didnt give the location away but i reckon its just off the coast of Clifden,South West Connemara area.There is a few Coral Beaches around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leitrim lass

Hi all
    Im a big follower of the Weather forum here due to my near 15 year surfing addiction. A surfer particulary in Ireland needs to understand the ever changing Irish weather and its relationship with the Sea & Land in order to find the elusive Waves.
    So when The Lads broke the news of their session on Prowlers last Monday (not the first time it has been surfed either) It was strange to see the lack of understanding of weather dynamics and surfing knowledge displayed in the Media and public at large.
    I'll try to sort out a few of these now.
    First of all the swell was not generated by Hurricane Tomas ( as you weather buff all know!)
    in order to get good surfable waves (any size ) you need
    a) a good running swell , pref long period ( generated by a distant weather system.
    B) no or offshore local winds at the surfing location. onshore winds create a choppy surface and flatten out swell.
    C) a deep channel approach to the surf spot, so the swell maintains all power.

Prowlers is a little distance off the coast of Co Sligo and is unsurfable a lot of the time, needing no wind, a big swell & the right tide level. a combo that only works out rarely, same thing for hundreds of similar offshore Bomboras off the Irish coast. We have been looking at them for Years Dream surfing them always a good indicator of a oncoming set of waves at the smaller surf spot on the coast. With the advent of jet skis , tow surfing and accurate weather reports . The way to surf these elusive Beasts is now open. not my cup of Tea but I admire the few who go.
    Ps Sorry Ariel way off the mark there , but it sounds as real as some of the media stories I have heard about Big wave surfing in Ireland this week!

Advertisement