Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dialer for SMS question

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All. Hope some one can help me, new to the boards. I have a HKC alarm, which I want to set up to self monitor. Have a eircom phone line and thinking of getting it set up with a dialer to send SMS to my mobile phone. Talked to a installer, they just wanted to push a monitoring centre to me,They also told me that Eircom are thinking of closing their server for landline SMS text as it is just losing money and this could happen any time and they were told this from someone in HKC and this is why they won't recommend this SMSs service anymore as they don't what people coming back to them. Can anyone tell me is there any truth in this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have heard this,unofficially , from a few different sources.You have to ask yourself why other providers don't bother with text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If there is a chance that the Eircom SMS server will shut down then do not use the HKC modem as it will only work with the Eircom one.
    Instead get yourself a different brand that allows you to change the SMS settings and use a different server

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

They have being saying this for the last couple of years but no one will give a definite answer if it will happen or not. The last time I was talking to them they said it will cause uproar as the amount of alarm systems that use this feature would be affected. If you are worried the best thing to do is install a voice dialer. It will work with all service providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Maybe it's time to lobby HKC to set up their own SMS server similar to manufacturers in the UK.
    Or get them to upgrade the firmware on the panel so that it will work with other sms servers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I had a similar discussion with Europlex about the SigNET 220 & the ability to send emails also. Basically they don't want the responsability of it. Imagine there server is down & people are broken into.......

• Advertisement

Upgrading the firmware on the panel so that it will work with other sms servers would be the best option all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mk23

Thank you all for your replys. Altor could you recommand a voice dialer and give a idea on cost. Thanking you all again for your help.

mk23 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replys. Altor could you recommand a voice dialer and give a idea on cost. Thanking you all again for your help.

It all depends on the HKC system you have installed. If it is the 6 zone panel you could install this. It will do either text or voice over GSM.

If it is there 8 zone secure watch or the Secure wave I would recommend you install the GSM-P. This will give you remote access to the alarm also. If you ring a few of the suppliers here, you will get a price. It has dropped in price in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

I have talked to a mate in Eircom and YES they do want to get rid of the messaging sever but they CANT!!!! They have been told by Comreg that have provided a service to the customer and they have to follow some procedures if they want to wide it up but that requires giving there customers 2 years notice. Yes they are losing money but the SMS server is going nowwhere for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

altor wrote: »
    If it is there 8 zone secure watch or the Secure wave I would recommend you install the GSM-P. This will give you remote access to the alarm also.

The GSM-P is a PSTN and GSM router so my question is can you have remote access to the alarm by SMS through the landline or must you use a SIM card for the remote access?

• Advertisement

You cant have remote access to the alarm using the SW-DMTC text dialer but you will receive texts of alarm activations if your service provider is Eircom or Vodafone. To be able to have remote access to the alarm you would need the GSM installed. The GSM can simulate a PSTN line if you where using it for a monitoring station as back up.

Thanks for reply altor. I am looking at the HKC securewave 1070 panel. I have an eircom landline so I was thinking about the DTV for self monitoring. I would have gone for the GSM-P if I could connect it to the landline and have self monitoring plus remote access without having to use a SIM card but I guess thats a non runner.

Am I correct in saying that if I really wanted the remote access and not use a GSM SIM card then I should go for the Signet 220P panel with a PSTN modem module for monitoring and get the remote access through the web?

Another alternative would be to install a powermax complete. This will give you remote access to the alarm through your land line, notify you of an alarm activation plus you will also have two-way voice communication to the panel for listening in or talking through the panel into the house.

In my case the powermax is not suitable as I want to install a wired system with the option for some wireless stuff which is why I'm looking at the Hybrid panels.

The SigNET 220IP seems to be most suited to your needs.
    The remote access via any web browser gives you full control.
    (even more than if you were standing at the keypad)
    The SigNET will also give remote control via text in from their GSM dialler.

I think your right koolkid, the Signet 220p seems to tick all the boxes but it's a fair bit more expensive than the hkc sw1070. I will have to decide if I want to pay extra for remote access. That said if I go for the signet I'll probably get a lot more than remote access that could justify the additional cost.

It would be a good idea to get someone to show you the web interface & all the features. Its way ahead of anything out there.

Brusna wrote: »
    I think your right koolkid, the Signet 220p seems to tick all the boxes but it's a fair bit more expensive than the hkc sw1070. I will have to decide if I want to pay extra for remote access. That said if I go for the signet I'll probably get a lot more than remote access that could justify the additional cost.

Another thing you will need is a back up power supply if using the 220p. Electricity off, remote access off without it.

Good point, I take you mean back up power supply for the broadband router.

Correct, bit useless having control this way without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

So eircom are shutting the servers down this summer. Anyone know any other sms servers I could use?
    altor wrote: »
    Correct, bit useless having control this way without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

There is a sticky on the top of the HSS forum all about it.

DJMG92 wrote: »
    So eircom are shutting the servers down this summer. Anyone know any other sms servers I could use?

Make the move to IP with free monitoring & remote access etc. SMS for alarms is on the way out anyway.

DJMG92 wrote: »

I would see most switching to a voice dialer. Other than that adding a GSM to the systems in place.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Make the move to IP with free monitoring & remote access etc. SMS for alarms is on the way out anyway.

Is monitoring through IP possible with the 220p?. I use the SPC anywhere app for remote access but have not seen an option for monitoring.

The 220 could be upgraded to Siemens & upgraded to 3-6-0 SPC Connect.
    SPC Anywhere works with SPC Versions up to 3-4-5 .
    The newer system is SPC Connect. It is a free cloud based service that gives you free apps, free browser access and free email alerts on any panel event(s)
    The new app is also called SPC Connect . Its free so you can download it and have a feel for it through a demo on the app .

KoolKid wrote: »
    The 220 could be upgraded to Siemens & upgraded to 3-6-0 SPC Connect.
    SPC Anywhere works with SPC Versions up to 3-4-5 .
    The newer system is SPC Connect. It is a free cloud based service that gives you free apps, free browser access and free email alerts on any panel event(s)
    The new app is also called SPC Connect . Its free so you can download it and have a feel for it through a demo on the app .

Thanks Koolkid, I'll check that out.

Is the 3-6-0 freely available?

Yes. It's released fully and available.
    All versions in between are also required. The upgrade should be done in sequence.

Advertisement