Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSB question

• 11-11-2010 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I'm due to be made redundant in approximately 2 weeks. Been working full time 8 years and not claimed benefits before.

I bought my home just over a year ago and took out mortgage protection, which covers me for up to 12 months in the event of being made redundant. The thing is, I can only apply for it 90 days from being made redundant. I will be getting a small amount of redundancy but that will take a few weeks (at the very least) to come through.

I am thinking of renting out my other room to help me.

When I apply for JSB do I have to tell them I am renting a room? I won't be getting a lot for it - I live in a rural area, but will I be penalised for the extra income?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Hi there

I'm due to be made redundant in approximately 2 weeks. Been working full time 8 years and not claimed benefits before.

I bought my home just over a year ago and took out mortgage protection, which covers me for up to 12 months in the event of being made redundant. The thing is, I can only apply for it 90 days from being made redundant. I will be getting a small amount of redundancy but that will take a few weeks (at the very least) to come through.

I am thinking of renting out my other room to help me.

When I apply for JSB do I have to tell them I am renting a room? I won't be getting a lot for it - I live in a rural area, but will I be penalised for the extra income?

Thanks
    jsb is not means tested.you can rent out a room it will not affect your benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks so much for that Blossom180 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

hi sunflower,
    sorry to hear about your job. as you have been working full-time for 8yrs you will automatically get Jobseekers Benefit (your stamps)
    this is not means tested to nothing can affect it.

You will be entitled to this for one year at which stage you will have to apply for Jobseekers Allowance (dole)
    This would be means tested and any income would be assessed to see how much you would be entitled to

On a side note, the rent-a-room scheme means you can rent one room in your home without having to pay any tax once you don't earn more than €10K a year from it
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

In the meantime, while you are waiting on your redundancy, mortgage protection and benefits to come through, you can contact your local Community Welfare Officer (CWO) if you are stuck for money and they can help out

Thanks magentas :)

Although I have mortgage protection I do have to pay 200e per month management fees for my apartment. Is there any claim I can make for that? Any entitlement at all seeing as I don't require rental assistance.

200e per month is a huge chunk out of JSB allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

that's a crazy amount to pay just for maintanance fees...it'll be a quarter of what you'll be receiving on JB

don't think there's anything you can get for that, maybe have a chat with the management company to see if they can compromise on the fee?

I can't get over the price of it though, €200 per month is what some people pay in RENT!

• Advertisement

magentas wrote: »
    that's a crazy amount to pay just for maintanance fees...it'll be a quarter of what you'll be receiving on JB

don't think there's anything you can get for that, maybe have a chat with the management company to see if they can compromise on the fee?

I can't get over the price of it though, €200 per month is what some people pay in RENT!

Tell me about it. It's going to come down to not eating in order to pay the damn fees. It is a big complex with three lifts.... but 200/month on top of a mortgage is so much. I dont know how i'll cope.

Advertisement