Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do on New Year's Eve

Options
  • 11-11-2010 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

does everybody go out to a pub/club/dinner

I tend to have a "quiet" one at home - just myself, hubby, kids, my brother wife and their kids. Usually sitting round the kitchen table with the kids in the sitting room under the tree. Have some snacks and drinks, music - and bring in the new year with champagne for the adults and apple coloured fizzy water for the kids if they are still awake.

Couldn't bear the thoughts anymore of fighting to get into a bar, and then fighting to get to the bar for a drink. Although I did enjoy that when I did it years ago - just too much effort now. I like the simpler quieter things.

What's everyone else's traditions, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I hate New Years Eve - ranks alongside Hallowe'en and Paddy's Day as my least favourite days of the year. I usually spend it in bed, trying my best to go to sleep before all the "celebrations" start.

Though 2010 has been a much better year for me than most years (certainly kicks 2009's ass :cool:), so I may actually have reason to celebrate this time. I'll probably still end up having a quiet night in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Pub crawl :D

been trying to finish it for years in my home town, best I managed was 9 pubs, last year was a pathetic 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Also not a fan of new years. Expensive to get in everywhere, Can't get to the bar anywhere...no taxi's etc etc..

Glad to say I'm playing a gig in Killarney this New years.

Should be a great night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

The last couple of years I've met up with a group that I've been friends with since school in our local. We don't get a chance to see each other much during the year so it's good to meet up and catch up!

There's normally so many of us that we 'take over' a corner of the pub so it's grand from a seating point of view. I also never have any trouble getting to the bar, or have to wait to be served, even though the place does be fairly lively!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

As we now live in the middle of ****ing rural ****sville our New Years have been fairly ****, the local pub is crappy and the people don't seem to have any parties, so we sit in the house and drink till we fall asleep....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ah noffles.
    have you just moved to the country. Usually country pubs are so much better than in the city and is always great craic - you should head down there - believe me its always brilliant craic - only thing is, getting a lift back home is a killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Not that bothered with New Years - usually watch Jools Holland's Hootenany and eat selection boxes.

I did enjoy going to New York for New Years a few years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Going out on New Years Eve night is well over-rated IMO

I love having a few drinks christmas eve alright...out early and home early!

think I'll be having a quiet night in with my little collie as OH is away for the night, so we'll curl up on coach and watch a movie.
    and turn clock facing the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

After last NYE in Dublin - I'm never going out to celebrate it again. Most likely will me me, my oh, pur dog and cats with a big fire.

If we do go out, we'll be staying local!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Stay at home with family watching movies with children in front of the fire.Gave the pub scene up when the eldest was born....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Usually go out. Might be going to Edinburgh for Hogmany this year though :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've never been a fan on NYE. i've gone out a few times in my younger years and in 2003 swore i'd never go out again, so i haven't. This NYE will be the first in my house, so i am hoping to have a few friends over for finger food, drinks, laughs and a few beds for heads! cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Heading down to Kerry for New Years this year, from there & not been back for NYE for a few years, bringing inlaws with me so should be a laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thesparrow

i prefer Christmas Eve to New Years eve, i always find NYE depressing but love Christmas Eve, we are heading over to Birmingham to spend with the family.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The last few years have went away with some friends to a hotel for the 30th and 31st, this year will probably do a house party or just head to the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Myself and a group of mates always head down the country for new years for a night or 2, this will be the 5th year we do it, being doing it since we were 19 or so. Dublin is a rip off, and fairly **** to be honest. We've done carrick on shannon a few times and westport and always have a brilliant time. Its one of the few times we can get all 12 of us together, like the good old days! thats expanded now to bringing girlfriends so we had around 20 last year in Westport. cheaper drinks, friendlier people and the general fun of a road trip means we look forward to it every year. For me personally, ive had a **** year (dreading xmas day in fact),but glad to see the back of 2010 so look forward to being with all the lads for a big night or 2.

Looks like we're hitting westport again this year (great town), be prepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

New Years Day falls on a Saturday this year. Does this mean that the Monday is also a bank holiday and people don't go back to work until the Tuesday - does anyone know.

also Stephens Day is a funny one this year too

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Don't like New Years, yet I always go out anyway. It's always a huge disappointment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New Years Day falls on a Saturday this year. Does this mean that the Monday is also a bank holiday and people don't go back to work until the Tuesday - does anyone know.

also Stephens Day is a funny one this year too

Spot on! The Bank Holiday rolls over to the next available work day/business day.

Advertisement