Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misfits Season 3 **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ooh christmas special....didn't know about that. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wertz wrote: »
    Ooh christmas special....didn't know about that. Nice one.
    Yep. Judging from the synopsis, it seems to be a standalone episode..

The episode synopsis is here and some stills here.

They may, or may not, contains spoilers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's why I dislike time travel. It's hard to comprehend!

Time travel is only hard to comprehend when it's badly thought out and badly written, which is what I think this is. I think the wheels have come off this show. They seem to have gotten too ambitious with this series and the plotting has deteriorated because of it. I hope I'm wrong but it feels kind of pretentious without the goods to back it up. Misfits has a lot of great strengths but they are playing those less and less.

I do know something big about the third series (which I really, really wish I didn't and won't be sharing) so I can see why they are doing what they are doing but I think it's the wrong move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

iguana wrote: »
    I do know something big about the third series (which I really, really wish I didn't and won't be sharing) so I can see why they are doing what they are doing but I think it's the wrong move.

Is this something widely available for anyone to stumble upon on the web?

I love me some good spoilers <3

Is this something widely available for anyone to stumble upon on the web?

I love me some good spoilers <3

Nope, not at present. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Damn it! Just have to wait and see I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

So how do you know?

So how do you know?

I know people who work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Wow I really like the sound of the Christmas special! Really interesting idea.

As for the short series, I'm not sure why but I just can't see the show working over a longer season. I don't know why but six episodes per season just seems to work for it. What I'm wondering is how many seasons there'll be. Black Books and The Inbetweeners also had six episode seasons and both had only three seasons. Probably just a weird coincidence but nonetheless it's got me worried. Wow I just realised how sad I just made my life sound....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wow I really like the sound of the Christmas special! Really interesting idea.

As for the short series, I'm not sure why but I just can't see the show working over a longer season. I don't know why but six episodes per season just seems to work for it. What I'm wondering is how many seasons there'll be. Black Books and The Inbetweeners also had six episode seasons and both had only three seasons.
    6 episodes per seasons is standard for a Channel 4 series..

.. outside of 'Shameless', there's not many other Channel 4 comedies / dramas that do anything other than a 6 episode season.

I don't mind it to be honest... I'd rather quality over 6 episodes than 10 episodes with filler.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    6 episodes per seasons is standard for a Channel 4 series..

.. outside of 'Shameless', there's not many other Channel 4 comedies / dramas that do anything other than a 6 episode season.

I don't mind it to be honest... I'd rather quality over 6 episodes than 10 episodes with filler.

Ah alright. I knew it was nothing really but when I get tired I come up with crazy theories about everything and anything...ignore me. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

basquille wrote: »

Skins had about 9 episodes per season... although it was only good for two seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

All of you theorizing about the timetravel stuff need to die!

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Here's an interesting and somewhat philosophical question:

Say if a time traveler goes back in time and meets themselves in the past. Does this mean that the time traveler remembers meeting themselves in the past before he travels back in time?

According to the flavour of time travel Simon/Superhoodie seem to deal with in Misfits, yes - however, they may not recognise or understand what they're witnessing at the time. This is distinct from Curtis' form of time travel, and from the parallel stranding universe idea most SF shows use.

For a considerably more confusing but no less worthwhile take on a similar concept of time travel, it's worth checking out 12 Monkeys or Donnie Darko.

One thing that has bothered me immensely about the last episode is that FS knew down to the exact second when Alicia would be shot and when he had to jump in front of the bullet and yet he did not wear the appropriate body armour!!!!!

It makes no sense. He could have saved Alicia, told the guy who thought it was a game that he was the undercover cop and pretended to die. Then got up, and told Alicia he was off to his own time as he'd done what was necessary. Then he could either have taken the shortcut back to his own time and time-travelled there if possible, or if necessary the long route by buggering off on holiday somewhere and chilling out (and making a few choice investments) until 5 minutes after he went back in time where he could re-appear and get on with his (now fabulously wealthy) life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Well Simon wasn't there for that part so he probably wasn't aware that he was going to shoot her, whereas with the Tattoo guy Simon was pretty important to it all so he knew to give him peanuts.

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Well Simon wasn't there for that part so he probably wasn't aware that he was going to shoot her, whereas with the Tattoo guy Simon was pretty important to it all so he knew to give him peanuts.

But he did, know. He even had matches on him and the petrol can set up in that exact spot so Alicia could burn his body once he died so it wouldn't be identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

One thing that has bothered me immensely about the last episode is that FS knew down to the exact second when Alicia would be shot and when he had to jump in front of the bullet and yet he did not wear the appropriate body armour!!!!!

It makes no sense. He could have saved Alicia, told the guy who thought it was a game that he was the undercover cop and pretended to die. Then got up, and told Alicia he was off to his own time as he'd done what was necessary. Then he could either have taken the shortcut back to his own time and time-travelled there if possible, or if necessary the long route by buggering off on holiday somewhere and chilling out (and making a few choice investments) until 5 minutes after he went back in time where he could re-appear and get on with his (now fabulously wealthy) life.

I'll try to explain how I see it, although I'm gonna confuse myself trying.

He already explained the 'Final Destination' rule, that he had to let the newest member of 'the asbo 6' die or someone else would die in his place.(Presumably alisha) So someone has to be killed by the 'gta guy'.

Depending on the other rules of time travel, he has to die anyway, or there will be two/three simons running around. So why not die in a way that'll stop others dying, at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'll give my go at it as well. He knew the precise moment Alisha would be shot AT. It was set up all along for him to die, for her to get with Simon, for them to get together, and for Simon to become Superhoodie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That's not the logic that Future Simon's version of time travel allows, though - if it were, he wouldn't be having to keep track of dates and places to ensure things happened the correct way, he could just blunder into anywhere he liked and try to make things go the "right" way.

Future Simon's in a loop where he can't actually change anything. His actions are effectively predetermined because what he does as FS has to be consistent with what others have already seen, even if they don't understand it. It's the same kind of logic as The Time Traveller's Wife or Timecrimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So how much older is future simon meant to be than present day simon?
    Just trying to work out how long of a realtionship him and alisha are meant to have

Also I really hope future simon somehow got nathan's power too and he's somehow still alive,unlikely though

In regards to FS dying, there's a difference between a guy who died saving your life and a guy who saved your life and then buggered off on holiday. Sure Alisha was already considering Present day Simon because she had the hots for FS and I think him dying for her is what will cement her feelings because she knows he'll one day die for her. If he just left her she wouldn't have the same level of feelings for Simon and she might start questioning his motives when he slept with her. Now he's died for her she knows he truly loves/will love her and didn't just do it as a ridiculously ludicrous plan to get involved with her.

:confused: I can't explain what I mean properly but I know personally I would have more feelings for a guy who died saving me than one who saved my life and then dumped me.

Also FS may have found it too difficult to leave Alisha if he had lived meaning she would never go out with PDS because she would be with him..except then he'd cease to exist since she never fell for him and made him the man he is...dammit time travel is so confusing.

Fysh wrote: »
    That's not the logic that Future Simon's version of time travel allows, though - if it were, he wouldn't be having to keep track of dates and places to ensure things happened the correct way, he could just blunder into anywhere he liked and try to make things go the "right" way.

Future Simon's in a loop where he can't actually change anything. His actions are effectively predetermined because what he does as FS has to be consistent with what others have already seen, even if they don't understand it. It's the same kind of logic as The Time Traveller's Wife or Timecrimes.

Yes but he could effectively leave the loop by faking his death and buggering off until after his past self has gone back in time. Then as far as he knows he hasn't changed anything, just gone back in time and "reappeared" in his present/our future after Linear Simon has gone back. And at that point he is back where he should have been, having maintained the exact timeline he set out to maintain but with him alive in it it but not known about until the timeline was fresh, therefore not having contaminated it.

In regards to FS dying, there's a difference between a guy who died saving your life and a guy who saved your life and then buggered off on holiday. Sure Alisha was already considering Present day Simon because she had the hots for FS and I think him dying for her is what will cement her feelings because she knows he'll one day die for her. If he just left her she wouldn't have the same level of feelings for Simon and she might start questioning his motives when he slept with her. Now he's died for her she knows he truly loves/will love her and didn't just do it as a ridiculously ludicrous plan to get involved with her.

:confused: I can't explain what I mean properly but I know personally I would have more feelings for a guy who died saving me than one who saved my life and then dumped me.

Also FS may have found it too difficult to leave Alisha if he had lived meaning she would never go out with PDS because she would be with him..except then he'd cease to exist since she never fell for him and made him the man he is...dammit time travel is so confusing.

Alisha already loved him, but she wouldn't have had to have known he survived. He could have faked his death to her too.

I'll try to explain how I see it, although I'm gonna confuse myself trying.

He already explained the 'Final Destination' rule, that he had to let the newest member of 'the asbo 6' die or someone else would die in his place.(Presumably alisha) So someone has to be killed by the 'gta guy'.

What he meant there was that Ollie had to die or else Ruth Negga's character would never have gotten his heart and she would have died instead. Not that a mystic death would have resulted from Ollie being saved.

Alisha already loved him, but she wouldn't have had to have known he survived. He could have faked his death to her too.
    What would she do with his body though? She probably wouldn't plan on burning it without him suggesting it but she would try bury or freeze him. She wouldn't want to leave what she thought was a dead body out on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 R1kk1

Is it bad I joined these forums merely to reply to this thread? :3

Anywho, I've read as much as I could at this hour, and I'm glad I finally found a place with a bit of in depth discussion about this show.

As far as I'm concerned, there are several scenario's that could be playing out here. I apologise if they've all been mentioned before.

They all depend on what sort of Time travel the writers are focusing on.

If they writers are referring to a one off time travel event, where Superhoodie is the first, and only Superhoodie to have existed, then I think that brings up a few problems.

Superhoodie, or FS, whatever you like to refer to him as, knew exactly when and what he had to do to save The Asbo 5. This means that all the events must have already played out for him to note when they happened and be the person there to change it.

Therefore, I think we have a continual loop time travel on our hands. Think along the lines of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry and Hermione had already been back in time before, and as events unfold, they realise all the weird happenings that had gone on in real time, were actually future them coming back to save themselves.

(I hope you're still with me... D: )

This seems to be the most logical explanation. If NONE of this had ever happened before, and FS had come back to save them all, then when FS changed one thing and changed the past, a different time line would play out, one that he wouldn't be familiar with, therefore have no idea with what to do and where to be at what time. If you think about The Butterfly Effect, how the smallest little change can effect the way the future plays out, even FS giving them the bag of peanuts would change how things moved on from there. If Simon hadn't already lived the scene where he received the peanuts, how would he know what would happen after the time line was changed?

If you pair this with Simon's large sense of justice, how he always wants to do whats right (he wanted to go after the GTA guy despite the fact one of them were already killed by him) then there's a large possibility he may figure out that Superhoodie was actually himself, through Alisha accidentally letting slip it was him, or he could go back through all his videos, use his amazing memory skills to figure everything out.

However, I have no idea how Las Vegas fits into all this. Maybe this is how Alisha let's slip, she thanks him for actually taking her to Las Vegas, and he says "I never promised you I'd take you here..." and then everything is revealed.

This is my theory, one of many, I'm sure. Let me know what you think though. ;D

R1kk1 wrote: »
    Is it bad I joined these forums merely to reply to this thread? :3

Anywho, I've read as much as I could at this hour, and I'm glad I finally found a place with a bit of in depth discussion about this show.

As far as I'm concerned, there are several scenario's that could be playing out here. I apologise if they've all been mentioned before.

They all depend on what sort of Time travel the writers are focusing on.

If they writers are referring to a one off time travel event, where Superhoodie is the first, and only Superhoodie to have existed, then I think that brings up a few problems.

Superhoodie, or FS, whatever you like to refer to him as, knew exactly when and what he had to do to save The Asbo 5. This means that all the events must have already played out for him to note when they happened and be the person there to change it.

Therefore, I think we have a continual loop time travel on our hands. Think along the lines of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry and Hermione had already been back in time before, and as events unfold, they realise all the weird happenings that had gone on in real time, were actually future them coming back to save themselves.

(I hope you're still with me... D: )

This seems to be the most logical explanation. If NONE of this had ever happened before, and FS had come back to save them all, then when FS changed one thing and changed the past, a different time line would play out, one that he wouldn't be familiar with, therefore have no idea with what to do and where to be at what time. If you think about The Butterfly Effect, how the smallest little change can effect the way the future plays out, even FS giving them the bag of peanuts would change how things moved on from there. If Simon hadn't already lived the scene where he received the peanuts, how would he know what would happen after the time line was changed?

If you pair this with Simon's large sense of justice, how he always wants to do whats right (he wanted to go after the GTA guy despite the fact one of them were already killed by him) then there's a large possibility he may figure out that Superhoodie was actually himself, through Alisha accidentally letting slip it was him, or he could go back through all his videos, use his amazing memory skills to figure everything out.

However, I have no idea how Las Vegas fits into all this. Maybe this is how Alisha let's slip, she thanks him for actually taking her to Las Vegas, and he says "I never promised you I'd take you here..." and then everything is revealed.

This is my theory, one of many, I'm sure. Let me know what you think though. ;D

Maybe but I've done the same thing more than once. =P

I like you're theory I hadn't thought of it in that way before. That could be interesting. I still think it's a case of there only ever being one time line and Superhoodie always having been there but that's just 'cause I think there'd be too many variables without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

So they fall in love because he already saved her but to save her he had to go back in time to die....it makes sense in my head now i think :D
    Just one thing,does that mean that ffs (future future simon) is dead....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

That's how I see it happening. Simon will always travel back in time to save Alicia to make her love him so he travels back in time .....

FS even says something along those lines when he dies. It was
    "It's you falling in love with him that makes him become me"

angelll wrote: »
    So they fall in love because he already saved her but to save her he had to go back in time to die....it makes sense in my head now i think :D
    Just one thing,does that mean that ffs (future future simon) is dead....?
    Yeah I'd say so. No matter whether you die in the future, past or present you're still most likely dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

First post in this thread, been watching the show from the beginning and love it! I actually know Robert Sheehan (Nathan) I lived with him in Galway for a year when I started my Film & TV college course. The reason he's so great in the show is because that's basically what he's like in real life:D

I'm also a huge timetravel fan (my favourite movie is Back to the Future) so I haven't been confused by the story in the show at all. I'll explain what I think is going on in a while, dont have the time right now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Average-Ro wrote: »
    I actually know Robert Sheehan (Nathan) I lived with him in Galway for a year when I started my Film & TV college course. The reason he's so great in the show is because that's basically what he's like in real life:D

You'd get that impression from interviews alright! I thought Kelly was unreal at being a chav... until I saw an interview with her - that accent is real!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Average-Ro wrote: »
    The reason he's so great in the show is because that's basically what he's like in real life:D
    So what was it like to live with an immortal loveable twat :D Apparently he is Portlaoisean, the gaol end I presume. Pass on our regards if you meet him again. If he can get over the shyness I can see him going far.

On with the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Everything Nathan does or says is comedy gold :)
    Pretty average episode, but some of his antics more than made up for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A Gorilla... Er alright then...

Pretty average episode tbh, I really don't care about Curtis' girlfriend. Or any of their love lives.

I think, like last week, it was a case of trying to fit too much into one episode. Still pretty decent though. Thought the twist with Bruno was hilarious. 'Why is that gorilla in a gorilla costume?' I liked seeing Nathan's softer side as well...well as soft as Nathan gets. Overall good enough, still better than a lot of other **** on tv. =P

It left me wondering though, does no-one have sex in bed any more?

Mr E wrote: »
    Everything Nathan does or says is comedy gold :)
    Pretty average episode, but some of his antics more than made up for it!
    Still though an average episode puts it above pretty much everything else out there at the mo. I mean how depressing is "This is England 86" after it.

Actually the gorilla was a bit of inspired out of his box writing, got a bit worried when it seemed to be going all king kong.

Nathan again made the show.

Not after Nathans antics:eek:

I just find myslef questioning the motifs of ANYONE that happens to so much as walk past the main cast members. Anyone else finding themselves doing the same?

Not only that, but the guy who got killed instead of Simon was quite cute.

And to add on ALL of that, is it bad that I'm really starting to love the Probation Worker? I hope they don't kill this one, he makes me laugh.

• Advertisement

And to add on ALL of that, is it bad that I'm really starting to love the Probation Worker? I hope they don't kill this one, he makes me laugh.

Not really, he's brilliant. technically they already have. =P

Only one week of community service left...or two if they're still doing it during the Xmas special.

I wonder if Nathan's gonna keep living in the community centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Naaaa. Bed is too old fashioned these days. Gotta experiment luv :pac:
    wil wrote: »
    Actually the gorilla was a bit of inspired out of his box writing, got a bit worried when it seemed to be going all king kong.

Thought the same myself that it was going all king kong.
    Poor Kelly...mets a nice bloke and then well.......least on positive side he didn't turn into that while having sex!

Kinda surprised the ASBO 5 thing is coming up so soon thought it might be for next series but guess they ploughing on.

Looking forward to next weeks though see what others come forward with their powers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Pretty average episode and the monkey plot was ****ing retarded. Probably would of given up on this show if it wasn't for Simon. It's way over-rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Can't think of anything better than the Misfits at the moment? :confused:

If ye know of any shows that are let me know, would like to check them out! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

wil wrote: »
    If he can get over the shyness I can see him going far.

LMFAO.

Yeah, this week's episode seemed to me to be largely treading water. It felt like this season's version of Curtis' big flashback last year, just a way of shading in some of the blanks around the characters and ticking some of the boxes from Curtis' flashforward and FS's hints about the future.

Just an average episode of Misfits, but with a couple of excellent moments - Nathan chucking a cup of water over the runner, for instance - and a nice bit of character development. It was kind of nice to see Alisha and Nathan keeping an eye out for Simon.

Does anyone else feel that Curtis has taken a bit-role in the last few episodes. He used to be a pretty damn central character, now his presence doesn't seem to be entirely justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Loved the wee nod to donnie darko (one of the best time travelling movies ever) with Simon listening to The Killing Moon by echo and the bunnymen....thought that was brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

is there any better character on television at the moment than Nathan? If there is, please let me know.
    Nathan is just comedy genius.....you laugh at nearly everything he says....the writers deserve a huge amount of credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

is there any better character on television at the moment than Nathan? If there is, please let me know.
    Barry! :D

This episode was largely filler, but it was still so much better than most TV shows out there. Superb. Absolutely loved Nathan this time, it was also wonderful to see him showing some caring about Kelly - rushing to save her. I'm not beginning to question him turning into a criminal like I previous thought; there is a compassionate side to him that is rarely ever shown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement