Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Watch

Options
  • 11-11-2010 12:42pm

Pretty sure it was snowing around this time last year, because I managed to get completely lost in a white out on the Reeks this month.

So where's it going to snow first? Nothing on the Reeks today anyway. They have the height advantage, but I guess they have the drawback of being near the sea and being in the southern end of the island.

Where does it usually snow first anyway? Will the ranges further north, the Mournes or mountains in Donegal, get the first flurry? Or the peaks further away from the sea, Galtymore and Lug? Anyone see any yet? I presume there may be the odd snowflake at night too, but I'm really talking about a proper snowfall where it is visible on the ground and lasts well into the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was out last weekend up around Lobawn and Table and looking over towards Mullaghcleevaun and the Barnacullian ridge in the distance there was some white areas showing near the tops. We had a couple of shot blasts of hail during the walk so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't just an area of hail that was lying and had frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No snow visible on the Galtees yet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

say we have a few weeks yet. all ready for de big freeeze Mk.2? :P should be fun.

Will be doing one of Nathan Kingerlee's winter walks courses and then seeing will I buy crampons and ice axe. Did borrow and try out a friends last year, so looking forward to getting some more time on the white stuff.

Snow finally hits the Reeks, went around Coomloughra circuit yesterday, light on Caher, more on Carrauntoohil and north side of Beenkeeragh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I've just moved to Lisliebane and have a pretty incredible view of the MacGillycuddy Reeks from the office window! Here's a photo of this weekend's snow dusting up there: http://tinyurl.com/29etjqa
    Everyday there's snow up there I'm planning to post a photo on the blog to give an idea of conditions...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Nothing on Errigal. I was up there yesterday (14th November) as part of my county tops mission. Weather was perfect for the day, with great sunshine and visibility.

Forgot to say that at the top of Carrauntoohil a Polish couple approached me looking for directions! They were lost, she was in miniskirt and leggings, both of them in runners. Oh and they didn't know where they had left their car! Nice couple in fairness, hopelessly unprepared but reckoned that the one thing they did not need was a lecture. They pointed back the route they followed which was from the shoulder of Curraghmore, reckoned from their description that they had left car near the last house in the Black Valley. Hope they made it back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Hardy f&*kers!! and there's you needing decent boot's, breathable rainwear and thermals not to mention a big bag full of God knows what.

I had a similiar incident on the summit of Donard years ago, although it was two middleaged lads, and despite explaining the best route to Newcastle, they figured we hadn't a clue and headed further on into the Mournes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Snow falling but not sticking on Arderin in the Slieve Blooms on Sat 13th (county tops thing too). Was surprised to see it even though the car thermometer was saying 1C.

Was all clear in the Comeraghs on Sunday though, great day out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

heard reports today that there was show on the top of lug, can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

foolelle wrote: »
    heard reports today that there was show on the top of lug, can anyone confirm?

Have a look in the stickied photo thread :) there's a bit there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

In before "The Sally Gap is impassable" :cool:

Listens for the revving motors of underprepared weekend warriors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Is it, nomdeboardie?

Donny5 wrote: »
    Is it, nomdeboardie?

Not that I know of Donny5 :o - sorry, just playing on the After Hours meme of getting "in before" something or someone who might be expected to enter the thread soon. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if there's significant Wicklow snowfall this weekend, in which case we can expect the traditional "Sally Gap is impassable" from da meeja

... in which case we can expect the traditional "Sally Gap is impassable" from da meeja
    Your wish has been answered already .. but due to icy conditions! No snow yet, but almost certain to fall during the night. Looking to do Tonelagee tomorrow from the Brockaghs starting in Laragh, so should be OK roads wise.

Alun wrote: »
    Your wish has been answered already .. but due to icy conditions! No snow yet, but almost certain to fall during the night. Looking to do Tonelagee tomorrow from the Brockaghs starting in Laragh, so should be OK roads wise.

Ice - ewww :eek: (Actually, I'm not really an impassability fan as such even for snow - I wimp out when things get slippy)

Yeah, Laragh as base is probably a good bet, although if you're going by the "Long Hill" on the R755 around the Sugarloaf, I wonder if things are slippy there also.

By the way, there are more snow chroniclers to be found at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056099033

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

@Nomdeboardie - you were psychic in predicting that snowfall. A couple of inches of snow here in Wicklow. Anyone heading for the hills today be careful.

No end of the stuff in Waterford, I'm heading for the hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

loads of snow in north wexford and its still falling with thunder and lightning

LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Well that was over before it started, made it about 7 miles out and had to turn back. Round trip of 14 miles in 3 hours!

Abandoned our walk today and just went up the Sugarloaf and back :) Actually, it probably wouldn't have been too bad getting to Laragh as the road was reasonably clear, and got better as the day went on, but we were planning on having our club's Christmas Dinner at the Wicklow Heather and stay the night, and the prospect of the slush freezing overnight followed by fresh snow ready for the trip back next day didn't fill us full of enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I was up Galtymore this morning...conditions were evil: very windy with driving snow, bitterly cold and a cm or two of snow on the ground higher up. Naturally the sun came out as we got back to the Black Road. :rolleyes:

Went up Lug yesterday. All very Arctic like. Could have skied down.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

You are right, Irish Times today.
    AA Roadwatch has appealed to all motorists not to make any unnecessary journeys particularly in Ulster, Sligo, Mayo, Kildare and Waterford city.

It said several roads are treacherous while the Sally Gap and the Wicklow Gap are impassable. It urged all drivers to reduce their speed and keep a safe distance from other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

What depth of snow you make it out to be up there.

Plenty of snow down here on the mountains, couldn't make it up today, but will try and get out in it by next weekend (should allow for further accumulations as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Fair play to you getting up there, I left at 9 yesterday from Dundrum hoping to head up the Glenmalure side. Got as far as Laragh and the car refused to go up the Glenmalure hill. :( Ended up having to do Tonlagee via the Brockaghs. Weather wasn't overly bad except for a few exposed bits on the Tonlagee spur. Since I was the only one on the mountain felt a bit hansel and gretel following my footprints back!! :D

What depth of snow you make it out to be up there.

Nots sure. Think much depended on the wind tbh and whether the snow was windward or leeward side.

It seemed fine heading up Ballineddan, though I was trying to follow a track - presumably left by quads. Lost it, and was plunging in over my knee in snow. When I reached the top, went on to Slievemaan, and again that was fine as presume exposure to wind stopped the snow (which was very powdery) from collecting. Again, when I dropped to the col between there and Lug the going was very slow, had to step into the footsteps left by others. On the return leg on that side I was going into drifts well over the knees in places and I capsized a couple of times. Great fun!

I salute all the intrepid snow drivers and waders.

Meanwhile my car forced to back down from a Dunleary hill* yesterday.
    *A little 50 yard incline in, er, Dun Laoghaire.
    Can't we get smaller font here?
    ...capsized...
    :D
    cue visions of pairs of flailing legs sticking out of the snow at regular intervals all over Wicklow

• Advertisement

:D
    cue visions of pairs of flailing legs sticking out of the snow at regular intervals all over Wicklow

I did get a few facefulls of snow.

Resisted the temptation to run and throw myself head first and glide downhill. Have done that before but not to be done in front of serious hillwalkers who will tut tut, and there was one or 2 others about. Plus I had too much gear on me at the time, and would have lost something.

Advertisement