Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Watch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

A group of us (all experienced) heading to Kerry for weekend.
    Planning on heading up the zig zags and across to The Big Gun and back to Cronins Yard.
    Anybody been up that way recently. What's the snow like up there?
    We'll be bringing everything but the kitchen sink (e.g. axe, crampons etc.)
    Any advise/news appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Good updates here. Haven't been down since early last week myself so can't say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Han't snowed since last weekend down here, but there is a weather front coming in tonight tomorrow which could dump a lot of fresh snow on the Reeks

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

@Spins: Looking up at the Big Gun out my office window right now! It's raining/sleeting here @ 150m with temperature @ 4'C. There's been a little bit more snow overnight; the higher peaks are looking whiter. Temperature up high is approx -4'C, although hard to know with this southwesterly wind.

The Big Gun will be in that in-between condition I'd say, between not being quite in frozen Scottish condition, while at the same time needing crampons.
    Slippery snow underfoot - a rope might be no harm. Could be a long, slow day... I took this video in the Reeks on Wed: http://tinyurl.com/35j3qrx.

Once the clouds clear a little more I'll post a photo of the Big Gun in Friday morning conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Thanks NK,
    Sounds like it could be worthwhile heading down so. Only problem now is the roads. Main roads from Waterford probably ok but making it to Glencar might be a problem....
    Looking forward to picture of Big Gun

• Advertisement

Here's your photo of The Big Gun (bit blurry, sorry):
    http://tinyurl.com/37fhszr

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Few pics from Muamtrasna/Devil's Mother near leenane last Tuesday. There was much sliding on bivvy bags and general frowned upon behaviour :P

138032.jpg
    138033.jpg
    138034.jpg
    138035.jpg
    138036.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

SomeFool wrote: »
    Good updates here. Haven't been down since early last week myself so can't say!

Just been doing some housekeeping - the Irish climbing conditions reports have been relocated here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

100_1601.JPG
    Amazing day in the MacGillycuddy Reeks today! Temp about -9 degrees C.
    If you look closely you can see the Slieve Mish mountains of Dingle reflected in Castlemaine Harbour.
    Nice re-freeze happened last night and I think it'll hold until Wed. Knee deep powder snow up high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

100_2217.JPG

Bohreen Lough from Galtybeg

100_2237.JPG

Cross near the summit of Galtymore

It was 1C at 200 m where I left the car so I estimate -6C at the top. With the fresh wind this gives a windchill of about -16C. The snow was mostly 2 or 3 inches but there were drifts of up to 2 feet in places. Clear weather all the way up to about 700m and then visibility was down to tens of metres. When it cleared intermittently I could see as far north as far as Limerick but on the descent the ground fog rolled in and made Slievenamuck and Slievefelim look like islands in a sea - it was pretty impressive with the setting sun hitting it but unfortunately my camera wasn't up to the job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The Galtymore cross picture is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

In before "The Sally Gap is impassable" :cool:

Listens for the revving motors of underprepared weekend warriors

As you predicted, a couple got stuck on the Gap last night. Some tourists taken up there by a satnav.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Fair dues to the Moutain Rescue for heading up yesterday night to get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Donny5 wrote: »
    As you predicted, a couple got stuck on the Gap last night.
    Some on the 3rd also (above)
    Donny5 wrote: »
    Some tourists taken up there by a satnav.
    Poor bastards. Gotta take the old satnavs with a grain of salt, but that's not easy if you're not familiar with the area. Irish units should come with a :eek: icon connected to the car's thermometer that lights up when the SG might be impassible.

Gillo wrote: »
    Fair dues to the Moutain Rescue for heading up yesterday night to get them out.
    Indeed :)

Was up Mangerton yesterday, not that cold, little in the line of snow left, but some gale blowing there. The bits of snow clinging on gave it the 'after the party' feeling, but still glad I went as found a deer with it's right hind leg completely wrapped in fencing wire and would have died if I hadn't (just about) freed it. Freeing an animal like that is never easy, have rescued sheep before and of course as you approach the more they struggle to get away and can do a trapped leg more damage. Think this one was in so much distress that he was beyond trying to get away, even stayed on the ground for a while after the leg was free instead of bounding away immediately. Course it might die anyway, not a good time to be one three wheels, but like to think I gave it a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

What are snow conditions like in Galtymore at the moment - thinking about heading down tomorrow for a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,
    Is there snow/ice still on the Macgillycuddy Reeks?

Any sign of a cold spell on the horizon? Never got the chance to head out in it last month. :(

It's really positive to see a little sprinkling of frost on the Reeks this morning, but no snow! The way the week is looking, I'm a little hopeful we may have something on Friday or Saturday. No actual gully climbing, but maybe some nice atmospheric ridges. I'll keep you posted on how things are looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

It's really positive to see a little sprinkling of frost on the Reeks this morning, but no snow! The way the week is looking, I'm a little hopeful we may have something on Friday or Saturday. No actual gully climbing, but maybe some nice atmospheric ridges. I'll keep you posted on how things are looking.

Thanks Nathan! You planning on running snow & ice climbs?

• Advertisement

@KO9 Thanks for asking. Yes, if the conditions come in hopefully we will, but I'll send you a PM. Don't want to get into trouble with EP here!

Advertisement