Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you microwave milk to see if it's gone off?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

This is going to probably sound really weird.

But a guy I used to work with always microwaved a bit of milk before using it in his breakfast everymorning. He said he was checking to see if it was fresh.

Now this morning and I was was warming up my milk in the microwave, I took it out and turned into this jelly blob stuff. So I poured it down the sink and threw out the milk.

Any ideas on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Since when can you not smell it or taste a tiny bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Since when can you not smell it or taste a tiny bit?

+1
    I was was warming up my milk in the microwave, I took it out and turned into this jelly blob stuff.

You probably boiled it and it formed skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

No it was much more than a skin. It was actually a blob. I could almost take it out with a spoon. It was very odd.

The milk smelled fine before I used it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I think milk curdles a lot quicker the older it gets.

That's it! I looked at images of curdled milk on google and thats exactly the way it was.

I guess it was gone off then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

to check if the milk is ok i blow into the bottle and smell the milk that way and if i get a sweet smell i throw it out.works for me.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

I look at the expiry date then consult my calender.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I look at the expiry date then consult my calender.

I trust my own senses before any label ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Yeah it was super milk. But I never had any issues with it before. I've moved onto normal decaff coffee now so unless I'm doing hot chocolate in work I probably wont experience 'the blob' again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement