Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University in Oz?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Anyone ever attended Uni in Oz? Not just on an exchange programme but for a full time degree?

I'm halfway through the first year of my WHV, plan on doing my rural work and then my 2nd year. Have a feeling after that I won't wanna come home and seeing as how I'm planning on going back to college anyway why not try do it here?

Are the costs involved huge? How easy is it to get a student Visa? Any grants/scholarships available? Any other info that may be of use would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Ha! I was just about to post the same question! I'm 25 now and am thinking (hesitantly) about going back to do law. The industry I'm in makes it next to impossible to get sponsored so figure go back and do something proper! Someone also said you don't need a science degree to do the postgrad in medicine... have to say it caught my attention. Will be researching it next week, prices, visa conditions, etc! Any heads up would be great though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dublin15_2009

As far as I know , and Im not 100% sure but I think you need to a lot of money ! You need to pay a couple of grand for the course but you also need the funds to be able to prove you can support yourself for the duration of the course as ur not supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm off out the door but will answer these questions later. I'm starting on Monday doing an MPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tibor_imo

thanks look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

You need to pay a couple of grand for the course.

Way off the mark there, it's more than a couple of grand for international students, a lot more. Heck its more than a couple of grand for citizens too.
    You are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hrs per week as a student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Yeah, way off the mark. A quick google sees that University of Queensland's fees for int'l students in a medical research degree are $19,000 per semester. Arts degrees are $11,000. Taught degrees depend on what you are doing but I can't imagine they are much different.

I should add from what I've seen of Australia there are Mickey Mouse Engrish schools for people on a budget. I'd doubt they do any lessons...
    They exist in Ireland too..

csm wrote: »
    Yeah, way off the mark. A quick google sees that University of Queensland's fees for int'l students in a medical research degree are $19,000 per semester. Arts degrees are $11,000. Taught degrees depend on what you are doing but I can't imagine they are much different.

Per semester is the key phrase here..
    How many semesters in a year? (they didn't have semesters when I went to DIT in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

There are certain courses that can be got for around the five grand mark, and even cheaper from word of mouth, though I havent found concrete of cheaper yet (I see Mandrake sulking because apparently I have more mates, or contacts, or intelligence (probably :) )**, or something that he loves to bring up whenever one of these questions comes up),. Ill PM details later, at the moment next to no Irish are leaving Oz when their visa expires, they are either going illegal or going for a same student course.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68946000&postcount=7

**And this is why. Jesus Christ I would rather a WHV be given to a member of one of the feuding families in Limerick than people like this being allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There are certain courses that can be got for around the five grand mark, and even cheaper from word of mouth, though I havent found concrete of cheaper yet (I see Mandrake sulking because apparently I have more mates, or contacts, or intelligence (probably :) )**, or something that he loves to bring up whenever one of these questions comes up),. Ill PM details later, at the moment next to no Irish are leaving Oz when their visa expires, they are either going illegal or going for a same student course.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68946000&postcount=7

**And this is why. Jesus Christ I would rather a WHV be given to a member of one of the feuding families in Limerick than people like this being allowed in.

Are you still going on about the old martial arts visa Damo? I think Op is looking for something more useful, what have I told you about posting crap here? I actually thought you went back home to Ballymun

** By the way I am not on a WHV... I am a permanent resident and approved Citizen, Bad luck mate :D:D:D
    at the moment next to no Irish are leaving Oz when their visa expires, they are either going illegal or going for a same student course.

How would you know this? do you claim to work for DIAC or something?

• Advertisement

Yeah dunno what people are on about doing 'Mickey Mouse Engrish Courses' etc. I'm looking to go back full time and do a BA or something of that ilk thought that was pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

tibor_imo wrote: »
    Yeah dunno what people are on about doing 'Mickey Mouse Engrish Courses' etc. I'm looking to go back full time and do a BA or something of that ilk thought that was pretty clear.

Yeah I guessed that.

Ignore Damo he has yet to post something useful on this forum yet, constantly whinging or posting BS... if you want a good laugh read back over some of his posts. hates me with a passion because I have the balls to pull him up over it.

The Degree route is not cheap mate, really depends on what you want to study as the fees vary. What have you in mind?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah I guessed that.

Ignore Damo he has yet to post something useful on this forum yet, constantly whinging or posting BS... if you want a good laugh read back over some of his posts. hates me with a passion because I have the balls to pull him up over it.

The Degree route is not cheap mate, really depends on what you want to study as the fees vary. What have you in mind?

Not exactly sure what I want to study as of now but I know it wouldn't be something science or computer based which is what I'd imagine the more expensive courses would be. Something artsy more than likely, have a few different things that I'd be open to, media/journalism/social sciences/psychology etc

I realise it won't be cheap but being able to do a bit of work on the side and with savings from the next while I'm just trying to work out if it's even remotely possible or if it's just a pipe dream. I'll get on to a few uni's sites and stuff I guess, just thought someone here may have had experience doing it. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

If you go to study or work,you probably will never want to return to Ireland again,massive country with soooo many opportunities.Sydney city can be a hard place to live,Everywhere else not a bother.I do business there a lot and can highly recommend it as a place to live.The climate and job prospects will keep you there,enjoy and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Just make sure you do plenty of research. I'd imagine it is doable but you would want to have a very clear idea of why you want to go back to uni and how a degree is going to help you pursue the career you want. I think it would be easy to go to a less salubrious uni because it costs less but in the long-term that may impact on your ability to find a job. Best of luck with your decision though.

Oh and there are 2 semesters in an academic year. The alternative is a trimester system, which has (you guessed it!) three.

Cheers guys. I'm here already btw, won't be doing the uni thing for another year and a half if at all.

Advertisement