Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milkshakes...

• 11-11-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Anyone know of a place that sells proper milkshakes not ones like you get in the chippers in limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The Golden Arches (aka McD) or Eduard Roquette (aka Eddie Rockets)?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kebris

Try the "Moody Cow" ... just opened in Roches St. close to the O'Connell St junction - teen daughters are "raving" about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Apparently there is a place in town now across from the Chicken Hut that does them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A new place opens in Roches Street that sells Milkshakes of all different kinds and somebody comes on asking if there is anywhere that sells proper milkshakes. Suspicious? Surely not :D

In saying that ive seen Moody Cow pretty busy a few times ive passed so must be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Heh, I'm in no way connected with them, had a taste of a real milkshake in temple bar Dublin at the weekend so trying to find one down this side of the country. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I have been to moody cow with herself last weekend. was yummy!
    I had a reeses peanut butter cup milkeshake, and she had a terrys chocloate orange hot chocolate.
    I henceforth pronounce it my fave weekend treat, destined to be repeated!

I did feel a little old in there, but dammit i dont care!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Will have to bring the girlfriend in there next weekend so! Might not be as romantic as other local dining locations ( :pac: ) but it sounds nice and different to what we're used to in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Sounds awesome! will go there after college me thinks :P

Well mr overlord, the whole back wall of the shop is 20 feet long shelves full of different chocolate bars! Macaroon bars, snickers, mars, m and ms, kit kats, ferro roches, anything you can think of. Any of them can be a milkshake or hot chocolate!
    There was also some specials which i didnt pay much attention to, or you could get some add ons as well, like oreos on top etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thanks for the list, Phill :) I'd seen a few ads in the local papers, but none of them mentioned exactly what was on the menu.

We'd usually go to Butlers for hot chocolate on days out in Dublin, so it should be interesting to see how this place compares from that p.o.v.
    I like BBs as well, but their range of flavours is fairly limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU98nbYymjs

:D

passed that place today - front of shop looks very eye-catching! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Dying to try this place! Sounds exactly like Shakes milkshake bar on Dame Street in Dublin, which was all sorts of ridiculous niceness (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sounds exactly like Shakes milkshake bar on Dame Street in Dublin, which was all sorts of ridiculous niceness (:

Man if i lived in Dublin id be a mega fat head - every time im in Dublin i always make an excuse to go to dame street to get a shake (or 2). And the queue there is always so fecking long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

ULstudent wrote: »
    Man if i lived in Dublin id be a mega fat head - every time im in Dublin i always make an excuse to go to dame street to get a shake (or 2).

Uh-huh, why stop at one? "Them bones, them bones neeed -cal-cium!" :pac::)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Theres another one opening soon aswell guess it will be like juice bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

very nice now I must say equally as good as the one on dame street in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The difference between a milkshake and a real milkshake is using fresh milk / ice cream instead of UHT crap.

Most milkshakes sold in shops / takeaways are UHT because I sold them to ALL of them for years. :D The product is ok but very bad for you. Very high in fat and sugar.

BB's make milkshakes from the New Zealand Ice Cream company(ok product) so its quite nice if you pick the right flavour.

Honestly get a good blender and buy a nice HB ice cream of choice, Avonmore milk FULL FAT and away you go.

Ninja edit If you can pick up some Movenpick ice cream (like the display case in Arthurs Quay) then you are going to have an amazing milkshake. 100% organic and exceptional quality.

+1 on Berty's home-made recipe.

HB vanilla ice-cream, milk, Nutella and a banana would be my usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Moody Cow is amazing! Not long opened so I presume they are still learning the ropes - a little slow but worth the wait.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

LB6 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU98nbYymjs

:D

passed that place today - front of shop looks very eye-catching! :eek:

Ok, hate to be so observant but why did the bull have pink underpants on and the cows were pantiless!!! Don't think I'll sleep tonight....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

BB's is indeed good and very drinkable. not like the awful thick stuff that you get from the mc's and mac's.
    but for a home-made milkshake you won't even need a blender. just an empty coffee jar with a screw-on lid will do. put in some ice-cream and add some juice/milk (you can heat the juice up a little first if the ice cream is all too frozen). then just screw on the lid and give it a good shaking - and you're done :D

Wow, went there sunday again in the afternoon, had to leave after 10 minutes or so, was taking way too long. Even though there was only a few people ahead of me at the time, none of us got to order while i was there.
    They seem to have each person making the milkshake that they take the order for. Wonder would it work better if one did the orders, one did the ingredients, one do the mixing and last one to do the cleaning.
    And i had my heart set on a reeses peanut butter cup with extra oreo milkshake :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

An expensive fad, had one, thought it was nice but I doubt I'll be getting them regularly tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

McDonalds milkshakes for the region were made with fresh milk in the Dawn/Golden Vale factory on Clare St. Not sure if they still are but the were a few years ago.

There are additives so that it will keep longer than fresh milk but its not made from UHT milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

An expensive fad, had one, thought it was nice but I doubt I'll be getting them regularly tbh.

how much are ya talking about for the shakes?

LB6 wrote: »
    how much are ya talking about for the shakes?

2.90 for medium ones, 3.30 for large ones. Doesnt seem to bad, compared to price of tea/coffee etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thats only for one flavour, 70 cent extra for an extra flavour.

Nothing beats a coffee sometimes though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was about to go in selling my wares earlier at 5pm but the place was packed out the door.

Funny thing is that the place has a waiting area. That says a lot.

Time consuming really. Those blenders dont clean themselves after each shake I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

Hey all, has anyone here tasted a milkshake in that new store "Moody Cow" i've passed it about 5 times over the last 3 days and its been packed all 3 times.

Was just wondering if its nice and worth waiting around to get one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Was going to stop for one three times in the past few days. Line out the door each time. Screw that, no milkshake is worth a ten minute wait (or longer).

Advertisement