Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual Box Question

• 11-11-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

I have a multi boot system I installed virtual box on XP Pro SP3 and Fedora 12.
    It is an AMD dual core 64 bit processor with 4GB of memory

Running Virtual Box on XP I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. On Fedora I installed Fedora 14 X64.

The two vdi files (W7 and F14) reside on a different partition to the OS's and both are visible on both OS's.

Using Virtual box on Fedora I can start both virtual clients but the Windows 7 client says the hardware has changed and must be reactivated by telephone.

Using Virtual Box on XP Pro I can start the Windows 7 machine which is a 64 bit operating system, which recognises it has been activated, but not the Fedora14 machine. Trying to start Fedora14 I get a message saying the system is x64 and it can only find i686.

Questions are:-
    Why will VBox start a Widows 64 bit operating system from a 32 bit Host OS but not a Linux 64 bit operating system.

Why does the Windows 7 client, when running on a Linux 64bit host think the hardware has changed from when the same client is running on a Windows 32bit host.

It is not the end of the world, but i am just curious as to why a virtual clients can behave differently on different hosts on the same physical machine.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

AFAIK as long as the host processor has hardware virtualisation extensions you should be able to run 64 bit guest on 32 bit or 64 bit host, although I think the feature is relatively new.

Perhaps you could try different versions of VirtualBox to see if that makes any difference i.e. the one included with Fedora, the OSE version from the VirtualBox website and the PUEL version.

You could also run a 32 bit guest in Fedora and check the CPU usage. If it is high it probably indicates that VBox is not detecting the CPU extensions and thus why the 64bit guest won't work in Fedora.

Advertisement