Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed enforcement zones

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭

Just came across this

http://www.garda.ie/sez/Wicklow.aspx

the Farrankelly Road is the one that goes from Charlesland to the N11

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

so are these gonna be places with permanent cameras or just more of a garda presence?...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

private van mounted cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Had a look at the enforcement zones.

If you take Greystones as the centre, they list

Road from Killincarrig to Kilcoole
    New Road from Charlesland up to N11
    N11 from Kilpedar to Southern Cross
    Southern Cross
    Windgates back to Greystones

Anywhere main access road they may have left out ?

{BTW - These zones relate to the new mobile speed cameras being deployed by private operators}

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Hmmm....well Farrankelly is a lethal stretch of road...how many people have been killed on it by cars since it opened? Good initiative to save lives by the Gardai here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

People have been killed on Farrankelly Road? Never heard this, apart from the recent non vehicle related death.

On the note of missing spots, as usual nothing on the main road in front of Donnybrook Fair, which is the worst deathtrap in Greystones between Speed Racers and people blocking the view coming out of Grattan Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Langerland wrote: »
    Hmmm....well Farrankelly is a lethal stretch of road...how many people have been killed on it by cars since it opened? Good initiative to save lives by the Gardai here!!!
    erm... none????

im pretty sure the only death was a manslaughter????

no vehicles involved???

and its not a good initiative to save lives, its a capital building excercice, pay someone to collect money for us....

Roads like the farrinakelly road aren't really that dangerous, the backroads with 80 & 100 KM limits that have terrible road conditions are the dangerous ones.

Or roads like where the Tuam crash was the other night, people trying to overtake slow moving vehicles dangrously and drink drivers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Langerland wrote: »
    i don't think exclamation marks are good enough to signify sarcasm anymore. It's smiley faces etc these days. Sign of the times. The dumbening!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

dr ro wrote: »
    i don't think exclamation marks are good enough to signify sarcasm anymore. It's smiley faces etc these days. Sign of the times. The dumbening!

lol it was truly missed alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

From that website.....

"
    An Garda Síochána, in conjunction with the National Roads Authority, have completed an extensive analysis of the collision history on the road network where speed was a contributory factor. Sections of road have been identified where a significant proportion of accidents occurred whereby, in the opinion of the investigating Garda, a safe speed was exceeded.
    Based on this analysis, a list of Speed Enforcement Zones has been developed with the aim of providing information to motorists in order to raise awareness of speeding in these zones. An Garda Síochána will utilize these zones in order to direct speed enforcement activity in a proportionate and targeted manner."

Total bull****. This is just more of the easy pickings, shooting fish in a barrel, revenue generating approach to "saving lives" on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

dr ro wrote: »

Sincerest apologies peeps!! :) !!!!£$^%£$$"!$^&*((&% ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Number plate swapping parties..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Guys I think you have the wrong map. That map is for places where the gardai will be/are already out with their speed guns and we all know that the Farrankelly link road is one of these places.

This map however:

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

is where the private cameras will be as they have taken collision data from the past 5 years and where speed was a factor in the collision a decision has been made whether to mount a camera or not.

The vans are going to be very visible and no, I don't work for anyone involved in any of this - I'm just trying to rectify an error that seems to have been made.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Advertisement