Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strict are landlords?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

My family are tennants and have been for 13 years with the same landlady but I fear that may be coming to an end.

Basically it's a two bedroom house and we were in the process or erecting a new bedroom downstairs by halfing the living room with a wall that can be taken down easily.

But our landlady called in after being tipped off by a neighbour I think and saw the construction and we never told her about it.

On top of that she saw our dog barking at her, she didn't know we had a dog either so I'm extremely worried we'll be getting evicted.

Do you think this can be worked out without eviction being the result?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Well, what was her reaction? Your family need to discuss it with her if she's understandably upset.

If you've been there for 13 years she might be willing to let it pass as long as you undertake not to do anything similar in the future without discussing it with her. A pretty reasonable undertaking!

Alternatively she might ask you to leave.

Both are reasonable approaches in my opinion. Depends on her really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Were there any incidents in the previous 13 years, diud you always pay the rent on time? If things were ghood up till now, the landlady may well be reasonable; it is not easy to get good tenants right now. That being said, what made you think you could errect a wall without telling the person who owns the property? That is a pretty big breach of trust...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If that's the only problem over the last 13 years the landlady would be utterly mad to evict your family.

She would be more than entitled to tell you to put the house back to its original shape given you didn't get permission for internal reconstruction.

A dog barking at her, I don't see the big deal really, if neighbours have complained about the dog being very noisey, fair enough, but she was a stranger in the dogs home and he barked, it's pretty natural for them to do that.

I would encourage you and your family to be upfront and seek permission for things in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

am I the only one who thinks the tennant has a cheek to put in a stud wall without asking the landlady first and also bringing in a pet without permission ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

D3PO wrote: »
    am I the only one who thinks the tennant has a cheek to put in a stud wall without asking the landlady first and also bringing in a pet without permission ?

Nope, not at all, but recriminations won't help. Multiple people have said not to do it again if the landlady doesn't kick them out over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

D3PO wrote: »

I completely agree with this. How would you like someone coming into 'your' house and putting up a wall (albeit it can be taken down) without them asking you, its not your house to edit. And also if the landlady has said no pets, then, no pets!
    If i was your landlady i would be pretty pissed at you's but if you's have been there 13years and this is the first problem to come up then i would have a word and let it slide this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I completely agree with this. How would you like someone coming into 'your' house and putting up a wall (albeit it can be taken down) without them asking you, its not your house to edit. And also if the landlady has said no pets, then, no pets!
    If i was your landlady i would be pretty pissed at you's but if you's have been there 13years and this is the first problem to come up then i would have a word and let it slide this time.

i would be of the same opinion. Id let it slide but Id not be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

A couple of other issues are, why is the extra bedroom required? Is the house now overcrowded, are there more people there than originally leased to?

Also, you could be creating a fire hazard with this new setup. What means of escape is there from this new room? If it is only through the remaining living room space, then that would be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ShaneGooner88

wench wrote: »
    A couple of other issues are, why is the extra bedroom required? Is the house now overcrowded, are there more people there than originally leased to?

It's a two-bedroom gaf and three people including myself live in it so my sister has shared a room with my mam for pretty much her entire life and she's gettin to the age where she needs her own space.

In between the time I made this thread and now I've found out we won't be gettin evicted and she thought the dog was very adorable so happy days.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may be planning permission / building regulation issues with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement