Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LaPierre All Elements Iron v Giant CitySpeed?

• 11-11-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

Gonna go for one of these two any opinions? Which has the better components (looks very close to me?) Very similar bikes, main differences are:

Suntour fork v Giant composite fork
    Shimano Alfine Disc brakes v Giant Root 2 Disc brakes
    Shimano Alfine rims v Giant CR70 rims
    Shimano Alfine crankset v FSA 306 crankset

LaPierre Iron
    Giant City Speed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Not sure which is best, but thats the first time I've seen a bike with an alfine hub AND a rear derailleur...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

droidus wrote: »
    Not sure which is best, but thats the first time I've seen a bike with an alfine hub AND a rear derailleur...

The tensioner doesn't do much for the aesthetics ... but I can get over that :)

Why on earth does it need a tensioner? I just assumed the picture was wrong.

Some hub gear threads here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055800297&highlight=ALFINE
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055860097&highlight=alfine&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

droidus wrote: »
    Why on earth does it need a tensioner?

From what I recall you need one of: horizontal dropouts, eccentric BB, chain tensioner.

The frame does not have horizontal dropouts. Presumably a chain tensioner is cheaper/less complicated than an eccentric BB.

Doesn't appeal frankly, seems a bit half-arsed.

I'm leaning towards the Giant, but just wondering if I'm missing a trick i.e. are the Alfine hubs/rims/crank/brakes significantly better than the Giant equivalents or is it much of a muchness?

• Advertisement

Maybe you should look at more Alfine/hubbed options?

Merida 18d
    IMG_6383.JPG

Kona DR Fine
    dr_fine.jpg

Cotic Roadrat:
    alfine.jpg

Bryant Belt Alfine:
    BK5218-02-459x328.jpg

Brodie Ocho
    Ocho.jpg

On-One Pompetamine
    photo-002.jpg

Trek Soho:
    trek_soho_07_m.jpg

Cannondale Bad Boy 8
    cannondale-bad-boy-8-2008-hybrid-bike.jpg?1227107316

What's Alfine hub shifting quality like compared to a high-end STI setup?

The only hub shifters I've used have been on DublinBikes or a Pashley, and they were both a bit clunky - no shifting under load, for instance.

I could live with grip shifters on the tops (or drops), but clunky shifting is really annoying.

Never used high end shifters (sob) so i wouldn't know.

My alfine seems pretty good though. Shifts quickly under load and while stopped. I have noticed a bit of clunkiness when I shift up to the natural gear (4), and its slipped once or twice in the last 3 months... need to get that checked out.

Seems to be a few bar end shifter options now too:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiawathacyclery/2348490318/in/set-72157604007257815/

A drop barred alfine/rohloff sounds like the perfect tourer....

Dynamic Synergy

$800. Hmmm....

• Advertisement

Nice

Some nice bikes there, unfortunately I'm limited to whatever cyclesuperstore stock though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the bike for? If commuting you might want to check which ones take mudguards. Or if you need suspension at all . Not for commuting anyway. I know discs are better but I think it v brakes look much better on a hub geared bike. Much cleaner lines. Of those two bikes in the OP I prefer the look of the Giant.

Went for the Giant ... whatever about the specs, cool looking bike in person :cool:

Well let us know how you get on. Looks the part anyway.

Advertisement