Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver to Wordpress???

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hello

Not sure if I'm in the right area so please feel free to move if needed.

I've designed a "small & (very) basic" website for a friend using Dreamweaver MX.

I would like for them to be able to do any updates/modifications to the site themselves once it's been uploaded - they have domain and hosting sorted and they are waiting on me to upload the site.

How would they be able to do their own updates/modifications if they don't have their own copy of Dreamweaver?? I have heard of Wordpress (but have never used it) and wondered if this would be the way to go.

I'm a little bit stuck at the moment so any advice would be appreciated :)
    Thanks
    bijou

Comments

Wordpress is a content management system you need to install on your host. It needs a mySQL database and you have to upload the wordpress files. The installation wizard is pretty friendly - most hiccups are caused by file/directory permissions.

Once you have wordpress installed, you'll need to convert your dreamweaver template to a wordpress theme. If you've no HTML/CSS/PHP, this part could catch you and you might be better looking at pagelime as this platform makes it easy to convert your dreamweaver theme into an editable site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

bijou wrote: »
    Hello

Not sure if I'm in the right area so please feel free to move if needed.

I've designed a "small & (very) basic" website for a friend using Dreamweaver MX.

I would like for them to be able to do any updates/modifications to the site themselves once it's been uploaded - they have domain and hosting sorted and they are waiting on me to upload the site.

How would they be able to do their own updates/modifications if they don't have their own copy of Dreamweaver?? I have heard of Wordpress (but have never used it) and wondered if this would be the way to go.

I'm a little bit stuck at the moment so any advice would be appreciated :)
    Thanks
    bijou

Integrating it with WordPress is probably overkill - if all you are looking to do is give your client the ability to edit the content just use something like this: http://www.snippetmaster.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

you might be better looking at pagelime as this platform makes it easy to convert your dreamweaver theme into an editable site.

Thanks SBS for your answer..... I just looked at the pagelime video demo and it looks good - sorry for sounding thick :rolleyes: but if I use pagelime do I upload (FTP) the site from dreamweaver first then pagelime does the rest after i've registered with them???

bijou

• Registered Users Posts: 45 aamurray

Try http://www.cushycms.com all you have to do is add a <div> tag to the elements you want the client to edit, add the site to Cushycms and add the user - voila! And it's FREE!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

If the site is small then why not just use Wordpress on its own? It really is simple to use and even the most computer illiterate person can learn how to make updates to it. You simply sign in to the admin panel and make whatever changes you want. Very simple.

• Advertisement

Thanks SBS for your answer..... I just looked at the pagelime video demo and it looks good - sorry for sounding thick but if I use pagelime do I upload (FTP) the site from dreamweaver first then pagelime does the rest after i've registered with them???

I've not used Pagelime as I prefer to use CMS systems like wordpress, joomla, cms made simple, etc. I believe most of these pagelime type of systems get you to put a tag in your template where each user-editable block goes, and you give the system ftp access to the files on your site. Users then log into the system to edit the content with the system handling the rest for you.

Some of the other solutions mentioned use the same premise.

Advertisement