Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty training - only bare bum works!!

• 11-11-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're trying to potty train our little girl for the last 5 days. She turned 2 last week. She gets whats going on, when we sit her on the potty at the right time she does her business no problem, and after the first day this developed into her realising when she needs to go and heading to the potty for a pee. But the problem is she'll only do it when she has a bare bum. When she has knickers on she just ends up peeing/pooing in them - I guess because she feels like they're a nappy. We keep on asking her does she need to go, but it's always a no - and we keep on singing songs that involve pulling up and down pants, and we're reading potty story books all the time. When she's had an acident we still take her to the potty and say "pee pee in the potty, not in the knickers". We just need her to come to us to tell her she needs to pee when she's in her knickers - any tips?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi, we're trying to potty train our little girl for the last 5 days. She turned 2 last week. She gets whats going on, when we sit her on the potty at the right time she does her business no problem, and after the first day this developed into her realising when she needs to go and heading to the potty for a pee. But the problem is she'll only do it when she has a bare bum. When she has knickers on she just ends up peeing/pooing in them - I guess because she feels like they're a nappy. We keep on asking her does she need to go, but it's always a no - and we keep on singing songs that involve pulling up and down pants, and we're reading potty story books all the time. When she's had an acident we still take her to the potty and say "pee pee in the potty, not in the knickers". We just need her to come to us to tell her she needs to pee when she's in her knickers - any tips?
    Thanks

I had the same problem for a LONG time and all I could do was wait until he got used to the fact that underpants are not a security measure like nappies and dont serve the same purpose. After many loads of laundry and patience he eventually got it, but it was reinforced by playschool and seeing other kids use the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

thanks metrovelvet. I'm minding her at home, so no exposure to other kids using potty. Guess I'll leave her in wet knickers - thank god we have wooden floors downstairs! Would be good to hear from others who've had this problem too!
    thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I know she's quite young but she might understand a reward chart where she gets a star for every pee in the pot. It worked for a friend of mine after some initial problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Thaed suggested if they are wearing character underpants to tell them so and so doesnt want to get wet. That helped get my son concious of what he was doing because I think he thought underpants served the same purpose as nappies.

We have had lots of fun with the toilet ever since, including aiming at the cheerio in the bowl and shoving a plastic bag down the toilet and flushing it so mommy had to pay 120 E to get the plumber guy to clear the drain it got trapped in. :eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement