Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD student time off entitlements

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi folks, hope someone here can help me out. I've started my Microbiology PhD with UCD about 5 weeks ago. I'm just wondering if any of you know what my entitlements are to time off ie the amount of working days im allowed off a year? i'm based outside of UCD and my supervisor here doesn't know and wants to make sure i get all the time off i'm entitled to.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've never known a PhD student who had a set number of hours of research they had to complete, especially as some projects take longer than others. Most students who need to take a week or two off will often do so, but will probably work 'extra hard' so that they can take the time off without losing too much research time.

Are you in receipt of funding from an external body? If so, you may be expected to work a certain number of hours/days, so I'd check out the conditions of your scholarship/funding incase there's something there. But I haven't heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 karonnia

hi thanks for getting back to me. Yes i'm in receipt of a fellowship and there are no conditions in regards to days off and hours. we're not familiar with UCD but by the sounds of it its like Nuig where i did my undergrad so there's no set amount of days. Thats great thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I was kind of wondering about this myself. I need to take a couple of weeks off not long after starting my PhD, and I'm hoping they don't kill me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Once you discuss things with your supervisor and, if applicable, your panel and let them know that you'll be away for a while, but will 'catch up' when you get back, they should be fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm expected to be around essentially 9-5, but I occasionally take a day off here and there just so I don't burn out!
    I take one week off at a time during the year and about 10 days at Christmas. We were told that about 6 weeks holidays during the calender year is fine.

I never have to fill out any forms or formally request time off, I just tell my supervisor I won't be here. He's happy with that as long as he gets a bit of notice. As long as I don't take advantage of the informal settings, there's no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 alysonay

I am also micro phd ucd. I was told we have 2 weeks at christmas...the normal ucd closing dates 23 dec-6 jan. And after that 21 days holidays.

Advertisement