Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website promoting Waterford [Waterford Today]]

• 11-11-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

UPBEK.jpg
    A pint for anyone who can tell from the front page article what the website address is!
    And here's how the promotion work out (the day after)
    BoZzw.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

There was internet in 852?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

There's a projector screen, a monitor in the desk, a keyboard, a mouse and a laptop. Overkill much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ugh, what possessed them to them to set up a .ie when they don't have the .com. It will rank well within Ireland but the .com will always get preference by Google worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Does anyone else think it looks like a promo pic for a new office based comedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

AdMMM wrote: »
    Ugh, what possessed them to them to set up a .ie when they don't have the .com. It will rank well within Ireland but the .com will always get preference by Google worldwide.
    Yep. :)
    And the .com has been around for about 12 years or so.
    The .ie was owned by Waterford Leader Partnership but dropped last year I think.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

seems to be sort of back and running, after a fashion. cheesy.

old gregg wrote: »
    seems to be sort of back and running, after a fashion. cheesy.
    The registration link leads to a PDF? The description of the 1000 page site as "huge" was interesting. At least they changed the Joomla default metadata.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

jmcc wrote: »
    The registration link leads to a PDF? The description of the 1000 page site as "huge" was interesting. At least they changed the Joomla default metadata.

Regards...jmcc

maybe the less they change the better, based on this:

"we apologies for any inconvenience caused"

It's a prime example of what not to do with a good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Great idea, terrible site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Soon to be another Waterford tourism website launched. Hopefully people will like it better then Feedback some of the more recent sites launched are getting. The press release will contain the link for the website also :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Bill Cullen would have fired someone for that big mistake!!!!!

facepalm1.jpg

mecco wrote: »
    maybe the less they change the better, based on this:

"we apologies for any inconvenience caused"

It's a prime example of what not to do with a good idea!
    Most people don't know how to design large websites that will hold up under major traffic. The majority of Irish websites (and I've spent the last few weeks building a search engine) have a low page count. Now 1000 might sound like a big website to the average webdev but the people who develop large websites wouldn't consider it so. Some large sites use cached and static pages (which are published out at specific times) to lessen the load on the backend database. The site uses Joomla CMS. This fine for small sites and low traffic sites but it would need to be optimised for heavy traffic as would the database. Putting together 1000 pages of original content is a tough job though and fair dues to the lads for doing it.

Regards...jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    Soon to be another Waterford tourism website launched. Hopefully people will like it better then Feedback some of the more recent sites launched are getting. The press release will contain the link for the website also :p
    Hopefully this one won't use a variant of one of my domains. ;)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

May as well throw my name into the hat with this too :p .

I might as well sell my Waterford domains now then. I don't think I can cope will all this competition. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hopefully this one won't use a variant of one of my domains. ;)

Regards...jmcc

Which domain?

Still working on that? I actually forgot all about that! Jesus some people are very slow :P

Which domain?
    Quite a few.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Most people don't know how to design large websites that will hold up under major traffic. The majority of Irish websites (and I've spent the last few weeks building a search engine) have a low page count. Now 1000 might sound like a big website to the average webdev but the people who develop large websites wouldn't consider it so. Some large sites use cached and static pages (which are published out at specific times) to lessen the load on the backend database. The site uses Joomla CMS. This fine for small sites and low traffic sites but it would need to be optimised for heavy traffic as would the database. Putting together 1000 pages of original content is a tough job though and fair dues to the lads for doing it.

Regards...jmcc

Oh, no disagreement from me on any of that. The point I was making was a more pedantic observation that even the error page had an error.

Off topic, but from my (very) limited experience of using Joomla, I'd rather them than me if they are adding a lot of content. The amount of html tags it pulled out of thin air when adding new content nearly drove me demented..Had to give twice as long reformatting the content as adding it :pac:

mecco wrote: »
    Oh, no disagreement from me on any of that. The point I was making was a more pedantic observation that even the error page had an error.
    They were probably taken by surprise when the site started getting heavy traffic and got the error page up in a hurry. The same effect used to occur with the Dragons Den programme on RTE. People would go on the show and mention their website and their website would then grind to a halt if they had it on shared hosting with poor optimisation. What's interesting is that Waterford Today has a readership that translates well to an online audience.
    Off topic, but from my (very) limited experience of using Joomla, I'd rather them than me if they are adding a lot of content. The amount of html tags it pulled out of thin air when adding new content nearly drove me demented..Had to give twice as long reformatting the content as adding it :pac:
    There's a lot to be said for doing such sites in a simple web dev package and then uploading them as static pages.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement